I finally got to witness the Klon.

dap99

• Members

It most certainly colors your sound - it's got a bit of a mid hump/bass cut to allow it to cut in a live situation and adds some top end sparkle too. It's not a clean boost like the SHO or SCP by any means. That's what turns so many people off who've tried one, and what makes the rest love it to death.

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear. It obviously colors the sound, but not in a way that makes you say, "hey, that sounds like a Tube Screamer..." or whatever.

Remember, I only got to hear it during a few songs of the gig and for a few seconds before the gig. But the way the guy explained it summed it up best: when you hear it you're like, "where are those extra harmonic tones coming from?" It's such a subtle sound, but it really takes your guitar/amp tone and makes it sound heavenly (to my ears).

But the dude did say that he really only uses it w/ a small setting range - he barely cranks the gain and he doesn't use it as a treble booster. Again, it sounded really good to my ears, but seems a bit pricey for something that you kinda "set and forget."

• Members

one'll have to try hard to set and forget how much it costs.. but if some folks are willing to pay the price for what is allegedly a great stompbox, that is their choice... it's always resellable for profit anyways...

dap99, think you might get a klon one day?

• Members

one'll have to try hard to set and forget how much it costs.. but if some folks are willing to pay the price for what is allegedly a great stompbox, that is their choice... it's always resellable for profit anyways...

dap99, think you might get a klon one day?

You hit the nail on the head, justintee - I've thought about getting one JUST so I can sell it for a profit later on.

I'm not sure if I'd get one. As you said, it's a lot of money for a set and forget pedal. I really liked the way the dude used his the other night, but other than me, there was only one other gear geek there that may have known what it was. And I'm pretty sure there are other, cheaper pedals that could get close enough.

But here's how I see it: I'd really have to borrow someone's for a few weeks and play it at home, w/ the band etc, to see if it works w/ my gear. That's my answer to, "was it that good". But if I had a chance to get one for under $200. I could justify that b/c I know I could always sell it for at least twice that. But I hilghly doubt that would ever happen.

• Members

I have one, and it is a great overdrive pedal. It is not transparent in the least and it colors your sound quite a bit. Fattens it up and adds some mids but in a very natural sounding way unlike a tube screamer for example. I like tube screamers too.

As far as it being a clean boost only pedal, I think that is kind of silly. The gain on the pedal sounds very good when used in moderation just like any other overdrive. It is not a good pedal to generate gain with no volume boost into a clean amp, but turning the gain up for a bit more dirt out of a Marshall sounds just great.

Ive had alot of overdrives and played 100s more. It was worth 350 to me but I play mostly older marshalls that need a dirty boost to push them over the edge so an overdrive is the most important pedal on my board. Besides a tuner. ;)

• Members
I have one, and it is a great overdrive pedal. It is not transparent in the least and it colors your sound quite a bit. Fattens it up and adds some mids but in a very natural sounding way unlike a tube screamer for example. I like tube screamers too.

As far as it being a clean boost only pedal, I think that is kind of silly. The gain on the pedal sounds very good when used in moderation just like any other overdrive. It is not a good pedal to generate gain with no volume boost into a clean amp, but turning the gain up for a bit more dirt out of a Marshall sounds just great.

Ive had alot of overdrives and played 100s more. It was worth 350 to me but I play mostly older marshalls that need a dirty boost to push them over the edge so an overdrive is the most important pedal on my board. Besides a tuner.
;)

That's what I've been trying to say;), just not as well. It does color your sound, but in the same way that overdriving a good tube amp does. Hearing that dude kick it on was like hearing his tone, but MORE, ya know? It was fuller, richer, creamier. I loves me some Tube Screamers too and I'll always have some variation of one on my board (I've been building kits lately w/ various mods and clipping options), but the Klon, like the OCD, seemed to take your natural tone and just give it some extra oomp in the bass area, but not being too bassy. That's the best I can explain. I'll stop trying now;) For me, it was a really good sounding thing that was very natural. I'd love to borrow one and run it through my rig for a while.

• Members

As a boost pedal to put at the end of your chain. I have tried this.

In a full band mix, my amp was melting faces off when engaged. Not as in more gain melting. But more volume and attention given to my amp due to the sparkle and loudness it gives.

I don't exactly know the words to say what it does. But it does it well.

And not for the pric that a guy has a Gold one listed for $600 for though..

I'd pay MAX $400 considering what i have seen them go for. And thats only if I wasn't willing to wait.

But then again, i'm just considering getting a SHO and calling it a day.

• Members
That's what I've been trying to say;), just not as well. It does color your sound, but in the same way that overdriving a good tube amp does. Hearing that dude kick it on was like hearing his tone, but MORE, ya know? It was fuller, richer, creamier. I loves me some Tube Screamers too and I'll always have some variation of one on my board (I've been building kits lately w/ various mods and clipping options), but the Klon, like the OCD, seemed to take your natural tone and just give it some extra oomp in the bass area, but not being too bassy. That's the best I can explain. I'll stop trying now;) For me, it was a really good sounding thing that was very natural. I'd love to borrow one and run it through my rig for a while.

Sounds like you get it.;)

It doesn't shrink and focus your tone like some of the other ODs out there, which can be a good thing sometimes.

I do wish bill would make an alternate version or something that came in a standard $5 box for $250 or so because I am sure the enclosure factors into the cost alot.

There just isn't another overdrive that does what it does, so if you want the unique goodness it has to offer you have to pony up the cash. You can definitely get great tone without one but it can not be replaced for cheaper from the pedals I have heard. Quite a few...

I was able to sell alot of other ODs after I got it so with that considered it was kinda cheap.;)

• Members

Could very well be. But Boss is making what - 100,000 SD-1s? In Korea paying their workers a couple dollars a day no less - it's bound to be less expensive...

Unless you've played one and seen it for yourself, you really are in no position to judge.

I totally see the point you're trying to make there, mate.

But for the record, Boss pedals were never made in Korea. They were all made in Japan prior to 1990, and have since been made in Taiwan. And just the same, South East Asian wages are not what people make over here. Seoul for that matter was rated this year as the 3rd most expensive city in the world via the Mercer survey, and is the priciest in Asia ahead of Tokyo. Although not a direct reflection of income per capita (Moscow rated #1, no doubt the cost of living is insane over there for different reasons) it's no surprise that even lazy high school students serving espresso at cafes after class in Korea can easily make $4.00 an hour. Typical blue-collar factory workers make above twice that.

Apologies for an unnecessary rant, but South Korea is far from being an underdeveloped "few dollars a day" country.

• Members

I totally see the point you're trying to make there, mate.

But for the record, Boss pedals were never made in Korea. They were all made in Japan prior to 1990, and have since been made in Taiwan. And just the same, South East Asian wages are not what people make over here. Seoul for that matter was rated this year as the 3rd most expensive city in the world via the Mercer survey, and is the priciest in Asia ahead of Tokyo. Although not a direct reflection of income per capita (Moscow rated #1, no doubt the cost of living is insane over there for different reasons) it's no surprise that even lazy high school students serving espresso at cafes after class in Korea can easily make $4.00 an hour. Typical blue-collar factory workers make above twice that.

Apologies for an unnecessary rant, but South Korea is far from being an underdeveloped "few dollars a day" country.

Amen. Korea rules. great food. hot girls. skilled plastic surgeons. I wanna go so bad.

• Members

The Klon really needs to be heard in person to understand why its good.
i fortunately got to hear it while in the uk earlier this year and was blown away.

i cam home ready to buy one until i tried a better locally made boost (Ulbrick Megalodon for those wondering).
A little cheaper ($300aud) but with a little more to it in its gain range.

the main thing with these 2 boosts compared to the many others ive tried is that they never become harsh. full volume, gain or tone (in the klons case) is still a very natural sound. i find that very rare in a boost pedal these days.

Archived