I finally got to witness the Klon.

dap99

• Members

The band I'm playin now had its first gig this wknd (all in all went well). when the next band was setting up I saw the coveted Klon Centaur on the dude's board. he played a couple licks for me w/ and w/ out the effect. And I paid attention to when he used it during the set.

Overall, I have to say WOW! It really fattened the sound up and made his Marshall (forgot model) sound great. What do those things go for new these days? As much as I liked the sound, for me, I don't think it's worth $400+

It seems kinda like a one trick pony, but it's an amazing trick. I'd honestly pay $250 for it (that's a lot for me - for a dirt pedal that doesn't have a lot of switches and options), but it does really bring your tone to life.

Just MHO.

• Members

Yeah, I would definitely say it sounded awesome. No doubt. As advertised, it doesn't color the sound, but seems to accentuate it. It's such a subtle, yet really cool thing. I guess that's where I think the price tag makes it prohibitive for me. But if I had that kind of money, I think I would add it to my "arsenal". I just got an OCD and I love it for the same reasons as mentioned above. It'd be cool to a/b them.

But you'd have to do it in person or w/ really good recording gear; I've watched the Youtube demos of both, and even the Fulltone recordings of the OCD aren't as good as being in the presence of the way it affects your sound.

I see on the Klon website that it's $329 + shipping. It's actually not that bad, but too much for me. But, man, it does sound sweet.

• Members

Yeah, I would definitely say it sounded awesome. No doubt. As advertised, it doesn't color the sound, but seems to accentuate it. It's such a subtle, yet really cool thing. I guess that's where I think the price tag makes it prohibitive for me. But if I had that kind of money, I think I would add it to my "arsenal". I just got an OCD and I love it for the same reasons as mentioned above. It'd be cool to a/b them.

But you'd have to do it in person or w/ really good recording gear; I've watched the Youtube demos of both, and even the Fulltone recordings of the OCD aren't as good as being in the presence of the way it affects your sound.

I see on the Klon website that it's $329 + shipping. It's actually not that bad, but too much for me. But, man, it does sound sweet.

It's supposed to be more transparent, haven't had the oportunity to demo one either. I had a Maxon 820 that's supposed to be similar, but I didn't care for it, and prefer more dirt in my dirt.

• Members

Well, the only other pedals I can compared it to pricewise is the ZVex stuff. And, I must say, Zach's stuff looks to be more innovative at the prices he charges compared to the KLON.

I still think the KLON dude is a bit of a condescending douche from what I've heard about him.

• Members

As advertised, it doesn't color the sound, but seems to accentuate it. It's such a subtle, yet really cool thing...

It most certainly colors your sound - it's got a bit of a mid hump/bass cut to allow it to cut in a live situation and adds some top end sparkle too. It's not a clean boost like the SHO or SCP by any means. That's what turns so many people off who've tried one, and what makes the rest love it to death.

• Members

thanks for your thoughts.. i prefer my 2xSHO, it seems to bring out the best of whatever guitar>amp i'm playing.. and at bedroom levels i use the second channel with the 'master volume' to get thick enough tones (that i would crank my amp 8, 8 to get live)... but haven't played on-stage for a while now

• Members

The Klon was actually the first OD pedal I ever tried; at the time I was just in this studio and I was just a guitar>amp guy - but we needed some gain so the guy pulled it out. Wasn't really impressed, but I didn't know anything back then so it was really wasted on me. Now I think it's probably nice, but not worth the money.

• Members

I just sent payment for a BYOC tri-boost. I'm hoping it's all the boost I'll even want. I just can't wrap my head around why people would pay so much for a boost. For that much cash I either want a seriously involved effect like a crazy delay, filter, or something like that, or a guitar or amp.

• Members

I just sent payment for a BYOC tri-boost. I'm hoping it's all the boost I'll even want. I just can't wrap my head around why people would pay so much for a boost. For that much cash I either want a seriously involved effect like a crazy delay, filter, or something like that, or a guitar or amp.

Not trying to defend the pricing, but if you ever saw one in person you might understand. It's built like a freaking tank, has a buffer + OD circuit, custom casing, etc. It's a quality box all around.

• Members

you just described a SD-1

the rest is pure "big car" value

Could very well be. But Boss is making what - 100,000 SD-1s? In Korea paying their workers a couple dollars a day no less - it's bound to be less expensive...

Unless you've played one and seen it for yourself, you really are in no position to judge.

• Members

A local guitarist loaned me his Klon for a while just to try. I have to say that I just didn't get it. I got the impression that it's really more of a boost type pedal with not much overdrive, and that it is often left on all the time.

I dunno - seems like you understood it pretty well.

Archived