Anyone here played an Ibanez Jet King II?

joncyberboy

• Members

I know this isn't strictly on topic but the guitar forum seems very metal orientated and this guitar is not metal!

Im looking for a guitar to take on tour that can take a nightly beating, that has single coil sounds and looks cool.

Any reason why i should not get this?

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/1456

Would a MIM tele be better?

• Members

o.O Guitar forum is metal?

I always thought the guitar forum was geezers and the amp forum was metal.

It's definetely a pretty cool guitar, though I can't speak for its durability. I'm pretty sure the switches knock the pickups in or out of phase, not split them.

It's probably not the guitar for you if you REALLY want single coil sounds, but if you're getting a Gibson Melody Maker, that should cover those.

Otherwise, Teles are cool.. but IMO, you've gotta be sure you want a tele if you're gonna go for one. There should be plenty to try out anywhere you go.

• Members

I thought the same thing as you when i saw it... i really loved its looks but when i played it i was dissapointed. I wanted it to not feel cheap but it did. Maybe with a good setup that would be fixed. It didn't sound too bad.

The rocker switches do tap the coils, or so I'm told by a quick search. I think they are only meant to LOOK like old fashioned phase switches.

• Members

My bro has the Jetking one, and I like the neck. So if its anything like that I'd say its a pretty decent guitar. Looks good to boot.

Though a tele wouldn't be a bad choice either, I say go try them and see which gels with you more.

Also, I believe Omar Rodriguez has been playing one (or was) when his other Ibanez was ruined.

• Members

The body is good on it, and it sounds fine, but the neck ruins it. It feels extremely cheap - like a neck you'd find on a $100 guitar. It's also SUPER thin, which, while some may like that, I prefer a thicker neck.

Personally, I'd just go for the Tele.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. From what you have said i seems it'd be a little flimsy for a touring guitar and a tele would be better.

Yeah...the thing is that it would probably be a great guitar if it had a decent neck. It's definitely cool looking, but the feel just isn't there.

Archived