Keeley modded DD-3 question

Faldoe

• Members

So with pedals in the dd-3 loop, you can use them on their own right? Once they are in the DD-3 loop you can only use them for the repeats correct?

If so is their a way I can set up a true bypass looper or something so when I'm not using the pedals in the Keeley dd-3 loop I can bypass them so I can use them like a normally would, as individual pedals in a chain?

If so, how would I do that?

• Members

Yes! I had one custom made for me. It took me awhile to find someone who understood what I needed and could actually do it. It's has IN/OUT for the regular chain, IN/OUT for effects loop and IN/OUT for the modded DD-3. I'll put together a graphic to show how it works in a bit.

• Members

It took me about ten inquiries with different pedal makers to find two that were able to do it. One guy was from Germany and the other from Poland. I'm in the USA. I ended up going with the German guy, as the other took too long to get back to me. It was a good choice.

Below are graphics of the pedal in the chain and a closeup detail. The graphic of the whole chain shows how the loop interacts with the rest of the effects. It can act as a regular true-bypass loop for the effects, allowing them to be in or out of the chain. Of course it allows the DD-3 to run through the effects as well. It even allows for both the loops to be active at once, but it succumbs to oscillation real fast if there isn't a volume pedal in one of the FX loops. If you bypass FX 2 loop (for the DD-3) it makes makes the DD-3 act as a regular delay and you can still use the other effects.

I didn't actually use this with the DD-3, as I tried doing a DIY mod, but it didn't work. I have used it with a modded BYOC delay (similar to the DD-3), a rack preamp with effects loop and even the loop of an amplifier. It works very well. As an added bonus, the LEDs are retina burning bright, which double as pedal board lighting.

DD-3DelayEffectsBypassChain_2.jpg

DD-3BypassLoopDetail_2.jpg

DD-3BypassLoopChain.jpg

DD-3BypassLoopCloseup.jpg

• Members

I put that together as sort of a mockup. I haven't tried it with the DD-3 (you can find my mod failure in another thread), but I have tried it with three other units with the same type of configuration. The BYOC Delay with loop is exactly the same as the DD-3 in function. Obviously it's not a DD-3 delay, the only functional difference in this case is the DD-3 uses a TRS stereo-to-mono Y-cable and the BYOC uses standard mono-patch cables. When running through the bypass unit, the sound is exactly the same as when running directly to the effects without the bypass unit. The only thing the bypass does is give the flexibility of having your effects available to both the DD-3 and the regular chain.

• Members

This thread is made of win.

Care to share the name of the builder, or better yet a got shot of the box?
;)

Thanks. I'll have to dig up the guys name. I had this made about a year ago, so it's stowed in an email somewhere. In the last two photos, the silver unit is the bypass box.

• Members

In the last two photos, the silver unit is the bypass box.

Yeah I figured. I just made a TBP strip and it was super simple, even for a n00b like me. If you're willing I'd love to see a photo of the guts of the box, just to get some kind of idea of how the switches are wired.

Your other thread scared me off doing the effects loop mod myself, but the DD3 I've got coming in the mail is the original mid-80's model, so hopefully it's a bit easier to work with than the surface-mounted version.

I'm dying to run my exp. pedal equipped ring modulator through a delay effects loop and then into some more delay. Super noise madness! :cop:

• Members

Yeah I figured. I just made a TBP strip and it was super simple, even for a n00b like me. If you're willing I'd love to see a photo of the guts of the box, just to get some kind of idea of how the switches are wired.

Your other thread scared me off doing the effects loop mod myself, but the DD3 I've got coming in the mail is the original mid-80's model, so hopefully it's a bit easier to work with than the surface-mounted version.

I'm dying to run my exp. pedal equipped ring modulator through a delay effects loop and then into some more delay. Super noise madness!
:cop:

I'll open it up later and post a pic of the guts. I didn't think it would be that hard, but I was emailing around, most of the builders said it was a pretty difficult task.

The BYOC delay with loop wasn't mine, but it's what inspired me to try the mod for the DD-3. There are some really cool sounds that can come from throwing stuff in the delay loop. Lots of texture and even straight noise.

Since my DD-3 mod is a bust and I sold or traded my other units with effects loops, I only use the regular bypass function on it. If anyone is interested in it, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

• Members

You mean the "analogue" roll-off mod from the Keeley vs. the original MIJ DD-3 sound?

yes. I'm wondering it I should sell my MIJ DD-3 to fund having the other one modded for analog feel and effects loop.

So whats up with the loop box Mr. Incredible?

• Members

The HC reviews I've read seem to say suggest the Keeley mod is a pleasant sounding delay. It's been many years since I've heard the MIJ DD-3, but even back then, I thought it sounded digital. Personally I would go for the Keeley mod as it seems the sound options are better than what the MIJ can offer, plus you get the cool FX loop for texture and noise.

Here's a shot of the loop guts:

CustomBypassLoop1020.jpg

• Members

ehhh yeah but if I sell the MIJ then I can use the money to fund the Keeley mod to the other DD-3

The hi-cut mod can be done with $5 worth of parts and a soldering iron.

Not worth selling a pedal over.

The effects loop is also something you can do yourself, but by most reports (including theincredible) is much easier with the older pedals, such as your MIJ version.

If you must sell one, make it the MIT one; especially if your MIJ DD-3 is the original long chip version.

theincredible: Thanks for the gut shot of your loop box. Damn. Still kinda difficult to see where all the wires go. Oh well, it's a good start :thu:

• Members

Hmm well there is no point to do the high cut mod to the MIJ , it's already pretty warm, I'll try that with the MIT. Any other place to find a good description for the effects loop mod?

So Mr. Incredible, was it that the guy's directions from the forum (link provided by andrew k) that were faulty and thats why you couldn't get the dd-3 mod to work?

• Members

So Mr. Incredible, was it that the guy's directions from the forum (link provided by andrew k) that were faulty and thats why you couldn't get the dd-3 mod to work?

I don't think the instructions were faulty. There are multiple revisions of the DD-3 and I think the instructions didn't apply to mine. The post from the BossArea forum was reading from an available schematic and the only common ones floating around are from older revisions. My DD-3 was the latest MIT version. I made some educated guesses on the wiring and what it was connected to. Because I was able to undo the failed mod and still have a working DD-3, I believe that the ability to mod a MIT is out there, but just not well known. Obviously Robert Keeley knows how, but no one else seems to.

In regard to your dilemma of choosing between the MIJ and MIT: I don't know how important the MIJ sound is to you. I wasn't really enamored with it. There are better analogue-esque digital delays out there, so I personally wouldn't base my decision on that. Since I don't have endless mounds of cash, selling a collectible pedal to fund a project that I deem worthwhile is worth the trade-off.

Still poking around for that builders email. Let me know what you decide.

• Members

Well I opened my DD-3 and those instructions seem to fit my MIJ PCB board lay out.

I might just keep both pedals and do the high-cut mod to the MIT and the effects loop mod to the MIJ.

I basically want to do the DIY mod just to save money....if I could find the instructions for both I'd mod both...

Archived