Which Zoom?

BrentonB

• Members

Ive finally decided on getting a zoom pedal but undecided whether to get the G9.2tt or G7.1ut. The only difference between the two seems to be the extra expression pedal on the G9, as well as an extra tube which allows mixing of solid-state and tube circuitry. I know I don't need the extra expression pedal, so the real question is - if anyone has tried the G9 or even better has tried both, is the circuitry mixing thing worth the extra money?

Cheers

• Members

I haven't tried the G7.1ut, but I own a G2.1u and a G9.2tt. It's hard to say whether it's worth it for you to choose the G9 over the G7. I've been using my G9 mostly in the studio so far, and I have made use of the tube/ss blend. When I want a cleaner sound, I'll dial back the tube accelerator and push the ss, and vice versa when I want more grit. It's an amazing processor, and the 2nd exp. pedal with it's two way action is really wild, but if you don't think you'd use it, it's probably not worth it for you. One factor about the G9 is that it is quite large and heavy - nice that's it's really solid, but it takes up a lot of real estate on the floor in front of you. It would be best if you could go to a store that had both and check them out side by side. You might find that you don't need the extra bells and whistles on the G9 and could save some money buying the G7. Either way, you won't go wrong.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Ive finally decided on getting a zoom pedal but undecided whether to get the G9.2tt or G7.1ut. The only difference between the two seems to be the extra expression pedal on the G9, as well as an extra tube which allows mixing of solid-state and tube circuitry. I know I don't need the extra expression pedal, so the real question is - if anyone has tried the G9 or even better has tried both, is the circuitry mixing thing worth the extra money?

Cheers

I love my G9. If you get it, experiment. You will find some cool stuff.

• Members

G9 can be used in 4cm, G7 can't.

G9 has additional amp models.

G9 ,The extra tube at the end of the chain does warm the signal a little more than the G7.

I would go for the extras on the G9 , better to have them when you need them as opposed to wanting them when you can't.. try here for more info, great site
:thu:
http://forum.thestompbox.net/

+1

I own a G7 and am thinking of upgrading to a G9 and selling my g7. I really like the Zoom G series.

Oh, and no they don't get the Tri-Metal sound but they sound much better than a Tri-Metal. The Tri-Metal is a one-trick pony that does "chugga-chugga" better than practically any other pedal I've heard.

• Members

Forget the G2.1u or its related cousins. Nice clean sounds, but very limited effects and distortion is weak. Sold it two weeks ago, don't miss it at all.

I didn't really like my G9 either. Put it this way, it was a xmas gift that my wife got me last year and I had to wait 5 months for it. And yet, I still sold it pretty quickly.

The double pivot expression pedal was a definite point of weakness. Couldn't get the latch to stay locked so it would it wouldn't pivot and the horozontal pivot was annoying.

Sound was decent but digital-even with those tubes.

Biggest problem was I spent more time playing with it, than playing my guitar. Outta here...

Archived