Anyone ever build a midi controlled loop switcher?

jlw001

• Members

I'm interested in using a midi switcher for isolating some of my effects in switchable loops and controlling my amps with midi commands.

I know Ground Control and Axess make these items (among others), but I was wondering if anyone new where a regular guy could purchase the midi processor and switches need to build one.

• Members

I hear it's kind of a pain in the ass. There are some project logs out there, but I don't remember reading a *finished* one, and they were VERY expensive or time consuming to do.

If you are good with electronics, the MidiBox project looks interesting... it's a freely-published set of plans for a general-purpose midi processor that can either do synthesis or control.

You need some high-quality relays to do the switching, two for each contact if you want true bypass. That's most of the cost, I think, since these relays are about $10 each. If you got those, you could wire them up to run off of some microcontroller like a PIC, and set up a simple midi interface for the PIC, and then use someone's code floating aroudn there to translate the MIDI messages.

Archived