Played my new SMMH for a few minutes - DD-20 comparison

dap99

• Members

Ok, I had a few minutes to play around w/ the SMMH and the various settings. I also have a DD-20 and since a lot of people are trying to choose between the two, I'll give some initial thoughts. I'll write more as I get more familiar w/ the SMMH.

The DD-20 is a great workhorse. I really enjoy mine. Here's what I like about the DD-20:

- the mutliple tempos. You can have your repeats as 1/4 notes, 1/2 notes, 1/8 notes, dotted of all those, triplets, etc.

- When you save a tone you like as a preset, you can scroll through the four presets w/ one of the footswitches

- The different delays were nice. My favorite were the Tape and Modulate. I also liked the Analog and Smooth.

- You could dial in the exact tempo w/ the tempo knob.

- if you have an external tap tempo button, you can go through the presets AND have tap tempo (w/ out the external switch, it's one of the other)

- the buttons are smoother than typical metal pushbuttons

What I don't like about the DD-20:

- I could never get a 100% "wet" signal w/the reverse delay setting

- I found the loop function (SOS) played back at to low of a volume

- Takes up a lot of space on the pedal board

- I didn't really use a lot of the different tempo options (I really just used 1/4 notes and 1/8 notes)

- Not true bypass

What I like about the SMMH (so far)

- you can get a really good pseudo reverb!

- you can dial in chorusy/flangy sounds

- The reverse delay is closer to that 100% sound I like

- Using the loop function is easy and it plays back as loudly as you recorded: also, you can record over the loop w/ most of the other delay settings! very cool

- I'll need to a/b this, but I think the SMMH is clearer sounding than the DD-20

- you can get some reverb sounds AND delay at the same time

-True bypass

-Smaller than the DD-20

-Easy to store presets

-More presets that you can store

What I don't like:

- can't choose 1/4 notes etc. You have to tap in the exact tempo you want

- Can only be powered by an adapter (I don't use batteries, but it's nice to have the choice)

- No handy screen like the DD-20 that tells you exactly how many miliseconds you're playing in. And you can't dial exact times in.

Like I said, I'll write more after more use of the SMMH. Mainly I found myself not using a lot of the DD-20 features, and I really didn't like the volume drop w/ the looping. I would get a DD-6 and a tap tempo switch at some point to compliment the SMMH, but I can't see keeping the DD-20 AND the SMMH.

Hope this is useful.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was some very useful advice.

But it just makes my SSMH G.A.S. much worse

LMAO! You can't really go wrong w/ either pedal. I guess it just matters more w/ where your priorities are. If I could afford it, I'd prolly keep the DD-20. But for the aforementioned reasons, I can't justify it at this time. I was set on the Boss RE-20 until I really looked at the SMMH. I figured that b/c it could get the reverby sounds w/ the delay it was a good compromise between the two.

• Members

one of the knobs on the DD-20 controls the loop volume, the top left one if i remember right (been awhile since i sold my DD-20) i don't remember if it will change it after it's been recorded but i know it will if it's turned up before you start recording.

• Members
you can dial in chorusy/flangy sounds

Settings? I have trouble doing this. :freak:

I'm thinking about getting a dd-20 instead of my smmh... don't use a lot of the features on the smmh and I hate the 'blend' control compared to the 'e. level' control. I also find the modulation to be completely useless on the smmh. Reverse I don't use so much.

The only reason I'd keep the SMMH would be because of the looping, because it's really nice. :cool: I'm going to see if I can get a dd-20 for $120 or something... compare the two.

• Members

i really dig the smmh, but i cant take the dd20 off my board, ive become reliant on it...if boss did make a fancier dd20 variation, i wouldnt hesitate to sell the smmh for it...i absolutely love all the wacky loop features on the smmh which will definitely keep it around for now. I totally love the dd20 screen to see/set the delay settings.

• Members

People are perceiving a volume drop because the 50/50 wet/dry mix isn't at 12 o clock. It's more like about 10.30 than 12:00. If you bear this in mind, there is NO volume drop.

Yeah. Noon for the #1 is a delay boost when you have it engaged already, 1030 is delay unity, but still drops the signal when you engage the effect. Guess I'll just have to try it out. Thanks though.

• Members

Maybe I'm stupid, but how can a delay pedal be incapable of doing 1/4, 1/8, dotted 1/8 notes, et al? Just set the delay to repeat to that rhythm based on the tempo of the song. :poke:

It's not incapable, it's just that the DD-20 allows you to tap in 1/4 notes w/ the beat, but the repeats will be 1/8 notes or whatever. So you don't have to do a rapid fire tap to get faster 1/8 notes.

• Members

no it doesn't. it's certainly not the most feature laden programmable delay around, but i personally think it makes up for it in other ways.

still, i think i'll grab either a Nova delay or a couple of single stomps to complement it.

Hey Chuck, you don't happen to have time/the capability to do a video demo, do you? The only one on youtube is the one with the annoying woman which isn't all that in depth.

Archived