How to use pedal to reduce amp volume

futbol1097

• Members

I'm new to this so I apologize for the newbie question. I want to reduce the volume of my 55 watt combo amp for bedroom recording. Since its a tube amp, I'd like to use a pedal to reduce the volume so I can have the amp turned up to the volume sweet spot.

Where does the pedal go in the chain in order to accomplish this? In FX Out and FX In? Wouldn't that just affect the Pre-amp signal and not the poweramp? Basically I want to preserve the true sound of the amp at the higher volume and then attenuate that for bedroom levels?

The pedal I have is a Blues Driver BD-2 - can this be used as a volume reducer?

thanks

• Members

u cant do it on a combo amp. If to use and external cabinet, then u can buy a power attentuator to put in between the amp output and the cabinet input. This acts as the "master volume" so you can crank your tube amp and use the attentuator to output whatever volume, so you can get that cranked amp sound at low volumes. Decent attentuators are THD Hotplates that run $300 new.

• Members

What spitfireme123 said.

The power tubes that are responsible for that "sweet spot" when cranked is part of the power amp section of the amp that feeds into the speaker outs.

Whatever you do DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT plug the speaker output into a pedal.

If you DO get a power attenuator, make sure that the ohm rating matches the speaker out of your amp.

• Members

Another more expensive option is to use a Palmer Speaker Simulator. If you have an 8 ohm amp you plug it in place of your speakers and then plug the Palmer into you recording mix or whatever.

It's totally analog and pro sounding, Keith Richards and Eddie Van Halen have used them. I've used on for years for apartment recording using my Mesa Mark IV I've gotten great results.

pga04-front.jpg

Archived