Help, I am stuck with guitar, sucking really bad lately.

Keith SIO

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm in the "don't take a break" camp. In the words of Mick Ronson "play, don't worry".

You are too goal oriented, you think you need to accomplish something. You should just be able to pick up the guitar and enjoy noodling, play something stupid, play Smoke on the Water in drop D.

• Members
The same goes if you just practice routine stuff for a couple days, and you don't lose your edge. For me, taking a break would be a devastating thing. Since the day I picked up a guitar for the first time, I have played every single day. There hasn't been a single day since then that I haven't played.

When I've hit plateaus, I found the things in my post above to really do the trick. Taking a break, while it may clear your head, isn't going to do anything for your playing. If, instead of taking a break from playing all together you just take a break from playing your routine stuff and work on exercises to better your playing. Finger exercises, scales, chord work, etc. requires no creativity, but still will do tons for your playing.

However, sitting in front of a TV instead of playing won't do a thing for you.
:rolleyes:

No offense but you either haven't been playing very long or aren't very old (if you haven't ever missed a day of practice that is). You'd be suprised at what taking some time off can do. I do it at least twice a year. If I get bored with my playing I might take a couple weeks off, and then when I come back I can write an album in a day. I'm just bursting with ideas at that point, and then I have tons of things to work on that inspires even more ideas. Anyways YMMV but you really should try it your technique isn't going anywhere.

• Members
I personally can't take a break. It is what I do. The thing that pisses me off is I just feel like I am making no progress and that my stuff is just stale is won't go anywhere. I need to open a new path of creative sounds.

Buy a really really weird pedal. If you have the cash, of course. If not...reverse your entire pedal chain and play through it.

Use the tools at your feet!

If that doesn't work, take a break. Go read a book, watch a good movie, see a good concert. And try again.

Rinse and repeat.:wave:

• Members

A lot of great players recommend taking a little time away from your instrument. If you're a total chops player, it might seem like blasphemy, but it has never killed my ability one bit. A few days playing again and it all comes back. As for the capo, I doubt if anyone would accuse Albert Collins of cheating. Music and guitar is not about guilt, it's about self expression and having the technique to convey your idea of what it should be, nobody else. Relax, you can't lose what's in you.

• Members

A lot of great players recommend taking a little time away from your instrument. If you're a total chops player, it might seem like blasphemy, but it has never killed my ability one bit. A few days playing again and it all comes back. As for the capo, I doubt if anyone would accuse Albert Collins of cheating. Music and guitar is not about guilt, it's about self expression and having the technique to convey your idea of what it should be, nobody else. Relax, you can't lose what's in you.

Just knowing I can't do the stuff I can do with a capo makes me feel bad. I dunno why.

• Members
I just can't play these days. I haven't been able to play for like a month. A month ago I had tons of ideas and made some instrumental demos, but now I can't do {censored}. I am stuck, and I end up just getting mad when I am done playing my guitar. What should I do. I am stuck playing the same old crap I always play and can't find an ounce of inspiration or write anything.

This sucks.

i know, i go thru this {censored} and as a matter of fact im in it right now.
just dont bother,its better to not play than to force yourself to play crap!
then after a week to 3months i'll write an album worth of songs,with a hand full of them being really good keepers.
just go with it,dont fight it man!
:wave:

• Members

Everyone gets this problem. My advice is to try different things such as -

* If you play in standard tuning, try playing in dropped D and coming up with some cool riffs. Sounds great when playing those slow, sludgey grunge riffs.

* Learn some new scales, but try to avoid playing the scale over and over and over. Try coming up with licks using that scale.

* If you find yourself playing fast all the time, do what I did, play using a really light pick (Herco .50mm) or use the round edge of a normal pick. Then try to forget about playing fast, which will be harding using a light pick, and do your best to make your playing interesting using very simple phrasing.

* Try to play using nothing but chord tones over a progression cycling in 4ths or 5ths or something like that.

* Learn some new songs. Simple stuff is always fun and sounds good too!

* Listen to another player, say Jimi Hendrix, and try to come up with your own riffs, chord progressions or licks in the style of Jimi Hendrix.

Hope you have fun doing this. Don't make it a chore and just relax.

Archived