Help, I am stuck with guitar, sucking really bad lately.

Keith SIO

• Members

I just can't play these days. I haven't been able to play for like a month. A month ago I had tons of ideas and made some instrumental demos, but now I can't do {censored}. I am stuck, and I end up just getting mad when I am done playing my guitar. What should I do. I am stuck playing the same old crap I always play and can't find an ounce of inspiration or write anything.

This sucks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah just find a genre of music completely different from what you normally listen to. Read about what the great players of that genre did and then practice that stuff for awhile. Whenever I get stuck I just do something completely new. Also try looping, alt. tunings, capo, whatever you can find to spice things up.

• Members

I feel guilty when I use a capo...I feel like I am cheating.

Yea I know what ya mean, but that just comes from people using them to be lazy when changing keys. You can use they ctreativley too.

More than anything though, just stop trying dude. Don't quit guitar for a while, but just learn some songs, play some old ones you barely remember, and practice some scales or drills. Then after you haven't made anything in a while, you'll finally start screwing around and start feeling good about stuff you make and it'll be effortless.

Don't force it, feel it!

• Members

Try taking a break for a day or two. If it persists some other ideas are to try playing a completely different style of music, try playing with people or with new people (if you're already playing with other folks regularly), just drill technique stuff for a few days, learn a favorite guitar solo note for note by ear. Something else I've heard that helps when people are in a rut is playing pieces, parts, solos originally intended for or by other instruments. Like listen to Kind of Blue and learn the trumpet and sax solos in "So What" or "All Blues." Or listen to an Earl Scruggs piece and try and learn some of his licks.

Archived