The White Stripes & reverb . . .

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

Yet another White Stripes question :D

Every article i read (mag or net) everyone decribes their "sound" as reverb-layden, or drenced in reverb . . . :blah::blah::blah:

Now my quick question is this:

...just how much reveb is actually being used, if music mag reporters all over the world keep on commenting on how much reverb they can hear, especially LIVE !

So, just how much reverb do you guys is comming from those amps on stage :confused:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sumlin/762413234/

Pic below of his board, fwiw . . .

Thanx

;)

• Members

Well damn, no replies yet...

I don't think of them as a reverby band. Maybe these reporteres are getting them confused with more stoner rock-type bands.

Then again, in a live situation a heavy use of reverb would help fill out the 2 piece band sound... :idk:

• Members

Well damn, no replies yet...

I don't think of them as a reverby band. Maybe these reporteres are getting them confused with more stoner rock-type bands.

Then again, in a live situation a heavy use of reverb would help fill out the 2 piece band sound...
:idk:

I agree, I've not noticed loads of reverb..

• Members

I have the Reverb on my Blues Jr. set between 3 & 4 and couple that with a Muff set to 9 1 1 and its dead on for me.

WOW - that is a lot of verb :eek:

I kinda like my BJr. at 2 on the reverb !

I am getting a Holy Grail soooooon thought !!! :love:

Unless you folks know of a better unit in the same price-class as the EHX Holy Grail !

;)

• Members

?

it's all amp reverb at 8-10 ... fender twin reverb, silvertone reverb... quick punch and plop, not dwelling ambient verb.

'De Stijl' is the best...

sure, 'white stripes' is pretty reverby but that's going back a long time, I'm sure these reviews aren't based on that album, but more recent albums and live performances.

anyway to answer the OP, nothing more than amp verb from what I can hear and I wouldn't call it drenched.

• Members

that is what i do not understand - the "drenched" bit ?
:confused:

seriously, don't pay any attention to what music journos write, 99% of the time it's bollocks... they probably just thought 'drenched in reverb' sounded cool with no thought to what it actually might mean to people reading it. :freak:

• Members

seriously, don't pay any attention to what music journos write, 99% of the time it's bollocks... they probably just thought 'drenched in reverb' sounded cool with no thought to what it actually might mean to people reading it.
:freak:

music journalists =

most likely someone said that the first album is very reverby, most likely a friend

they then make it sound nicer, 'drenched in verb'

another music journalist reads it, and does not listen to the band, because he has his 'label' and runs with it

and repeat

it's like when sonic youth told a joke to spin magazine or something about 'nyc ghost and flowers' being part 1 of a trilogy, where they will begin to do harmonicaly dual sung vocals... 4 albums later the skeleton of that quote appeared in a review for 'Rather Ripped' :rolleyes:

music journalists.... they are 'teh dumbs'

• Members

I wouldn't say drenched in reverb... when I hear that, I think of Dick Dale type stuff. Whichever journalist wrote that cares more about making a band sound "cool" than about the truth.

Almost every time I read an article in a "musician" type magazine, or any magazine really, I agree with Jack more, and more that journalists are lazy, and never do any research.

Sounds like they use a little more reverb in live situations from what I remember, but still not "drenched".

Archived