Line 6, Digitech, Boss...

jm1681

• Members

I'd like to know everyone's opinion as to who makes the most accurate amp modeling systems? Who gets the attack and feel of said modeled amps the best?

I know Line 6 has been in the business for quite some time and I've never had a bad experience with a Line 6 product so they're looking good.

I've owned some Digitech gear and was never really very happy with their reliability.

I currently own a Boss GT-3 and while it works, I think I've kind of out-grown it.

Please feel free to post any recomendations as well :)

• Members
Vox Tonelab
:cop:

Can't figure out how to edit the pole, sorry :( I'll be looking into the Tonelab as well though :)

I suppose I also should have mentioned which amp(s) I'm fond of.

Mesa MK-IIC+
Mesa MK-IV
Roland JC-120
Fender Deluxe Reverb

• Members

They all do things differently. Each company has things it does best.
For instance, the Zoom G series does a better model of a rectifier than any of the other companies (IMO). The Vox Tonelab series is much warmer than any of the others. The Digitech is good at crunch as is the POD. The Digitech sounds digi-tal to my ears but it also has some really good high gain patches that sound great, even with the harsh tones. While none of the modeling in the GT-8 stands out as "great" (not even the JC-120 and Roland makes it), on the whole it is better overall as a MFX unit than the rest to me. It does more than most guitarists will ever need it to and the effects for the most part are good.
This is just from my experience and based solely on my own humble opinion.

• Members
My one cousin had both the ME-50 and later the GT-8 and both failed to impress me !

:freak:

My brother has the ME-50. When it comes to amp modeling I wasn't impressed with either. I think the tonelab excelled in this, however I'm not too interested in sounding exactly like this or that amp. Just want tone sculpturing. I use my own tube distortion preamp and chain it to the GT-8. GT-8 has the best editing features of any MFX. That's why I never bought the tonelab. No need to.

• Members

Believe it or not, I use my GT-3 more as a synth generator then anything else. Half of the noise that comes out of it doesn't even require me to plug my guitar in. But for amp sounds and feel, it just doesn't work.

I think I'm going to try a tonelab first, followed by a sansamp. What has me particularly interested in the sansamp are the buzz, punch and crunch controls. If those really work as they're noted, I can only imagine the possibilities...

Archived