Xpression, G-Sharp or G-major? Opinions please?

firejack018

• Members

Hello all.

I've sold my stompboxes in order to make the switch to rack FX. I'm looking for an ambient FX unit that:

a) sounds fantastic.

b) is transparent and won't color the amp's natural tone.

c) is durable and robust.

d) is affordable.

I don't care for pitch shifting. Never use it.

I'm mainly after Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flange, Phaser, Tremelo and Compression.

A Noise Gate is an added bonus.

I'm tossing up between the Rocktron Xpression, the TC Electronics G-Sharp and the TC Electronics G-Major. I'm leaning toward the G-Major mainly because it has Dual Delay capability, but I have read about reliability issues.

Any comments, opinions or advice from people who have experience with these units?

Also, any suggestions on other rack FX units in this group's price range?

• Members

stompboxes. I own the g-major and it is a bit disappointing. Claims to meet your criteria but doesn't. It is good live for ease of use and convenience, but lacks durability and tone. Definetly not a studio unit. Claims to be transparent but isn't, of course making the ADA conversion is going to change some things. I'd go for a looping system and analog pedals. might not be as affordable tho.

• Members

stompboxes. I own the g-major and it is a bit disappointing... might not be as affordable tho.

Thanks modeerf.

I'm through with stomp boxes because I don't want to be stuck tweaking between songs or to have multiple units set to different parameters. I want multiple pre-programmed options at the stomp of a button.

I've heard about the tone coloring of the G-Major, but just wanted to get some confirmation. The biggest plus for me with the G-Major was the Dual Delay. That would be a great function to have. But if it sucks or colors tone, then it's out of the equation.

I'm thinking about going with the Rocktron because many people say that it's the most transparent unit of these three.

• Members

By that description ^ i would say the G Major would be great for you, better yet you could save up for a G System which would give you that + be able to incorporate stompboxes

Hello Used666.

G System is way too expensive here in Australia.

All I'm after is a rack FX unit.

No stompboxes.

Any owners or users of the Fxpression, G-Sharp or G-Major?

More opinions/criticisms/praises of these units please?

• Members

I have a G-sharp, just got it. I think it is really nice and transparent. I am still learning how to make all the adjustments and save presets. (Not difficult, just have not played with it enough.)

The G-major has more features, but as others have indicated, it can have reliability problems. This is not the case for the G-Sharp.

I think the G-Sharp is worth looking at.

• Members

I own a g-sharp I purchased it after reviewing many possibilities, of which there are very few unless you buy old and used. I think it is definitley a better value than the g major. I have never played though the expression but have listened to the musicians friend example and I do not like the sound of the chorus. I own a rocktron amp and this is borderline apple / oranges but the amp has built in effects and they all pretty much blow. But the higher end Rocktron stuff is really good.

so I guess it is up to you.

Archived