2 pedalboard questions before I go to Home Depot

Optimus Prime

• Members

I'm building a pedalboard today and just have 2 questions I need answered before I go spend unnecessary money.

1. Do you cover the entire length of all the slats on a pedalboard in velcro, or just cut the velcro to the length of each individual pedal and place it where it needs to be? If I cover the entire thing I would need 8+' velcro, and I could see that getting very expensive. How much does heavy-duty velcro cost, is it by the foot?

2. When attaching the hook side of velcro to your pedals do you remove the rubber feet that come on the bottom?

Thanks. Any info would be helpful.

• Members

I used indoor/outdoor carpet on the board and the hook side of the velcro on the pedals. The carpet works as well as the loop side of velcro. You only need enough velcro for the bottom of the pedal. Which is still real expensive at Home Depot.

• Members

you should cover the length of the board, or you'll get lots of {censored}ty peeling edges...

the carpet idea works well, if you can find the right stuff. i've heard of people using the carpet from car fitters...

• Members

you should cover the length of the board, or you'll get lots of {censored}ty peeling edges...

the carpet idea works well, if you can find the right stuff. i've heard of people using the carpet from car fitters...

I guess I'll cover the entire board if I use velcro.

Any tips on finding the right stuff, other than the car stuff?

• Members

Cool, for $29 I can get 25 yards of 1/2" hook side and 25 yards of 1/2" loop side, both have pressure sensitive backing (?). Is 1/2" wide enough?

Well, I'll have 75 feet of it so I can just layer it on top of the slats on the pedalboard to cover 1/2 the slat, or 1" of it.

EDIT: I'm only going to end up using ~16' of it. Anyone need ~59' of both sides of the stuff?

• Members
I'm building a pedalboard today and just have 2 questions I need answered before I go spend unnecessary money.

1. Do you cover the entire length of all the slats on a pedalboard in velcro, or just cut the velcro to the length of each individual pedal and place it where it needs to be? If I cover the entire thing I would need 8+' velcro, and I could see that getting very expensive. How much does heavy-duty velcro cost, is it by the foot?

2. When attaching the hook side of velcro to your pedals do you remove the rubber feet that come on the bottom?

Thanks. Any info would be helpful.

I put the velcro the entire length that way its easyer to add pedals or move them around,and yes its best to take the ruber off the bottom but in the case of my digitech pedals I would save them for waranty purposes.
100_0779.jpg

• Members

I just finished it. About a 1/4 of the way through I realized it wasn't going to turn out the way I planned and changed my whole approach. I bought $60 worth of stuff, including 16' of 3/4' velcro (both sides, $17 total). And ended up using $11 of it (just a piece of 3/4" plywood). The top slat is about 3" shorter than the rest because I ran out of wood, the top isn't removeable, it's not painted and it doesn't have velcro. I'm going to take the rest back and put the $50 toward a real Pedaltrain with a case. I'll post pictures of its half-assed-ness later.

Archived