Cool new psychedelic SF band video - also a question of FX

UstadKhanAli

• Members

This is a video of Wooden Shjips from San Francisco. Very droney repetitive VU-inspired psychedelia, perhaps has tinges of The Doors, Spacemen 3, Subarachnoid Space, maybe even Comets On Fire. Low-budget video, but something charming about it nevertheless, with all its trees and driving around. But the song, I really really like. I just picked up their CD and really really like that as well.

And here's the quick question. I love the sound of the guitar break in the middle, gorgeous white light shards of psychedelic guitar blasts. What do you suppose the guy's using? Is it a fuzz pedal and a wah? Can you make out what sort of fuzz pedal it might be? Any more specific ideas? Thanks!

• Members

Hi, thanks for that - I've not heard of these guys but I really liked that song. My kind of music.

That guitar sound is likely a wah floating in the treble region, a bright fuzz and some echo, with a healthy dose of feedback - the staple sound of psychadelic guitar (and my pedalboard...) :)

I have no idea what actual pedals were used but any wah would do as would any old school type echo - i.e. analgue delay or tape echo, not Edge-esq digital delay. For the fuzz try something like a superfuzz or silicon fuzz face or a zvex fuzz factory even. Probably not a big muff type pedal which is too bassy.

• Members

I really love the music a lot. I like the entire CD.

Obviously, I love that whole white-heat molten guitar thing...but what I really love about it is how violently it comes in, how it just sounds good and rude.

For fuzz, I've only used a Big Muff, and like Gold Soundz pointed out, it's probably too bassy. In either case, I can't picture getting a sound like that out of a Big Muff. I'm not familiar with the ones Dangerous Dan or Gold Soundz pointed out, but I'll check into them.

Yeah, maybe there's a phaser in there too, definitely some analogue-sounding delay. I've got the analogue delay thing covered, unless it's a tape-based delay. I'm using a Diamond Memory Lane, which I really love.

The FF is a great pedal Ken. :)

There's so many different fuzz pedals out there that it would be hard to pin it down to exactly what they used just from the sound... have you tried contacting the band directly and asking them? That's what I'd do. :idea:

Not that I am trying to discourage you from posting over here - good to see you on HCEF. :wave:

PS Keep a close watch on your wallet - hanging out here tends to be G.A.S. inducing. ;):lol:

• Members

You have one, of course. I should have known.

So far, I've checked out that and the Skreddy Mayo and the Dunlop Fuzz Face. And it's veyr very difficult to evaluate it online, but the FF seriously appealed to me. That's what I want out of a fuzz pedal.

This is more up my alley in terms of gear, if only because I've already got most everything I need for recording for now, and I need another guitar like a hole in the head... :D But yeah, I'm gonna read someone's post about some amazing boutique pedal that's really amazing, and then...

BTW, I've been using that Diamond Memory Lane for recording, and it sounds so unbelievably sweet.

Archived