Good Overdrive for a Twin Reverb?

Saturday

• Members

I just bought a month ago a 70s silverface Twin Reverb :cool: and im super happy with it, but of course, i can't crank it and get some natural slight crunchy sound out of it.

im currently using a fender telecaster and a squier strat thru a boss cs-3 > tech21 xxl (works great for hi-gain stuff) > yamaha magicstomp (tuner, reverb and delays)

i play "indie" rock :p think pavement and yo la tengo.

any ideas of a good quality overdrive that will give me that "about to break up" sound with the twin? i know it's something hard to achieve. i play rythm, so i dont expect something for "bluesy creamy leads" and all that stuff.

i want something like the rythm tone in dinosaur jr or built to spill albums, or soft boys 'underwater moonlight' record. where you an strum and still hear each note.

thanks.

• Members

i was gonna say stupid box, i wish i hadn't sold mine...

i also picked up a line 6 crunchtone silly cheap a couple of weeks ago, that works well with my twin, haven't used it at band levels yet tho....

• Members

thanks.

so they are giving me some different choices overall.

i heard the sunshine samples and it sounded like just what i want. it's expensive tough. and the blues driver - i heard it mentioned it quite a few times lately. any samples somewhere? that aren't blues?

(for some reason every guitar player in youtube plays blues or funk or something in between)

• Members

I think I know where you're coming from. I play a Tokai Goldstar through a Twin Reverb reissue and lean more towards post-punk meets blues-rock sensibilities. I've been really happy going between my DOD-250 overdrive (cheap, too) and a BYOC Rat, depending on the song. I also have a Fulltone OCD, which is great in certain settings, but tends to be a bit too treble-heavy for most uses.

While a "blues tone" is obviously great for the blues, I use the phrase as a catch-all description for achieving a solid, natural, unprocessed sound that can apply to all types of organic-sounding music.

• Members

A silverface Twin hardly begins to breakup with most guitars even cranked and when it does which is really f*#%ing loud. It is in my opinion not a great sound.

Getting a good breakup sound from a silverfaced Fender involves either hitting the front end of the amp really hard with a clean boost overdrive or making the distortion sound with a pedal and simply using the Fender amp as a totally clean power amplifier.

• Members

i know that making the twin break up is a futile endeavour. so i just want a pedal to do all the stuff and keeping the twin clean and a reasonable volume.

also, i like the idea of playing in any amp and mantaining a good overall sound.

the sparkle drive sounds definately interesting tough... another one to check out!

• Members

Well I wouldn't say it is futile endeavour at all, it's just that you can't turn the volume on ten and expect some great overdriven sound to come out of it.

Even with humbuckers I never loved the sound of a cranked silverface. However if you put a boost in there and get that normally clean sounding preamp to clip it can be quite nice but loud as hell.

If you want overdriven sounds at reasonable volumes I would recommend getting a pedal that actually make the overdrive sound rather than one that pushes the amp hard to create it.

The Blackstone Overdrive does a great job at making various levels of very natural amp sounding breakup into a clean amp.

• Members

I like a few different overdrives with my Twin. A vodkamods RAT2, monte allums OD-3, Analogman TS-9, OCD and a Sansamp classic. The ocd is probably the most transparent and least noisy, sansamp is the most versatile, TS-9 is the smoothest, OD-3 is the rawest, and the RAT is probably my favorite.

• Members

I also heard that fender amps takes pedals very well. so maybe i should first try some standard run-of-the-mill overdrive pedals (overdrive, blues overdrive, bad monkey, ts9) and see if i'm happy with them. if they work, then great, if not, will try something more boutique-ish.

thanks a lot!

Archived