Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Li10

• Members

hey I want to use a looper instead of a rythm geetarist - songs call for it. I am leaning toward this looper because it has two pedals on it and is cheaper than all the higher-end loopers.

I always thought that if you put the looper at the end of the effects chain, you could loop a distorted part and play clean over it. Then I read some reviews and people were asking why they couldn't play clean and distorted at the same time. Are those particular reviewers a bit dumb or are they right?

Also, i read about some concerns over quality of distorted loops - does anyone have any advice?

Thanks guys, merry.... BOXING DAY!!! :cop:

• Members

it's plenty good enough so long as you dont layer too much stuff onto the recorded loop, meaning...a clean rhythm in the loop should be fine. if you choose to put another layer onto the rhythm track, it can still work, but there is some minor degradation.

• Members

But shouldn't the looper be kept in synch with the drummer? Not the other way round?

no, I'll probably be using a drum machine with it for the most part. Er, this post is backwards.

Ideally, yes the looper would be synched with the drummer but they aren't set up that way. It's tough to get the loop perfectly timed, the smallest error will add up as the loop plays and will become out of synch with the drum machine. One way around it is to run the drum machine into the looper first and loop the drums so they're locked into the loop timing. Also longer loops means fewer times around for the errors to add up.

Archived