Troubles picking out an amp

arcarsenal72

• Members

So I've decided to get rid of my current stuff and kind of start fresh. When I try out amps, they sound great. But I feel like I should bring in some of my pedals that tell an amp's true colors.

Do you guys bring your pedals or boards when you're deciding on an amp? Or do you get the amp then find pedals that work for it?

I also keep finding that amps are too bright or too compressed etc. Such a hard decision :cry:

• Members

So I've decided to get rid of my current stuff and kind of start fresh. When I try out amps, they sound great. But I feel like I should bring in some of my pedals that tell an amp's true colors.

Do you guys bring your pedals or boards when you're deciding on an amp? Or do you get the amp then find pedals that work for it?

I also keep finding that amps are too bright or too compressed etc. Such a hard decision
:cry:

If you have a main dirt pedal it never hurts to bring it with you. I would never have an amp that did not like my Muff!

• Members

I also keep finding that amps are too bright or too compressed etc. Such a hard decision
:cry:

what have you tried and liked/not liked?

• Members

what have you tried and liked/not liked?

Well I have an Orange Crush 30R (my bedroom amp) which I love. So I tried an AD15, it was very muffled and dark sounding.

My Super Reverb is a little bright for my tastes these days.

I've tried some Marshalls ie. JCM 800 which I thought was pretty sweet, but cleans weren't as great as I would have liked. But then again I really only like cleans mostly for using pedals with.

I tried some Voxes which were nice. I tried one of those Vox AC15 handwired with Alnico Blues that are wood, which was nice, but extremely expensive. I tried a regular AC15, which was a chimey, but going on a little bright. I'd like to try an AC30 with Alnico Blues.

My friend has a Peavey Classic 50 that rules, but I can't seem to find the old ones, like not with the stupid plastic look of the new ones in a 2x12.

• Members

If you have a main dirt pedal it never hurts to bring it with you. I would never have an amp that did not like my Muff!

Yeah, problem is theres a few that I consider essential to what I'm going for and I'd feel like a freak bringing in a whole pedalboard and setting up lol :freak:

• Members

Yeah, problem is theres a few that I consider essential to what I'm going for and I'd feel like a freak bringing in a whole pedalboard and setting up lol
:freak:

Bring your whole board if you want. If you're about to drop $1000+ on an amp, you should make sure it's exactly what you want.

You wouldn't buy a car without driving it first, would you?

• Members

My friend has a Peavey Classic 50 that rules, but I can't seem to find the older ones in a 2x12.

I have a Classic 50 head from 1983; it is awesome. My friend also modded it, not sure what he did, but it's unlike anything else.

He recently built an amazing sounding amp; a clone of a Komet Concorde. It's just amazing. He could build you one of those for about $1,000 (a savings of about $3,000.)

• Members

Well I have an Orange Crush 30R (my bedroom amp) which I love. So I tried an AD15, it was very muffled and dark sounding.

My Super Reverb is a little bright for my tastes these days.

I've tried some Marshalls ie. JCM 800 which I thought was pretty sweet, but cleans weren't as great as I would have liked. But then again I really only like cleans mostly for using pedals with.

I tried some Voxes which were nice. I tried one of those Vox AC15 handwired with Alnico Blues that are wood, which was nice, but extremely expensive. I tried a regular AC15, which was a chimey, but going on a little bright. I'd like to try an AC30 with Alnico Blues.

My friend has a Peavey Classic 50 that rules, but I can't seem to find the older ones in a 2x12.

the fender is bright even with the bright switch off and treble rolled off a bit?

• Members

the fender is bright even with the bright switch off and treble rolled off a bit?

I guess it's just not the amp for me is all. It's better cranked, but unfortunately my opportunities to do that are few and far between.

I'm just feeling like straying away from the Super in favor of a different flavor.

• Members

I guess it's just not the amp for me is all. It's better cranked, but unfortunately my opportunities to do that are few and far between.

I'm just feeling like straying away from the Super in favor of a different flavor.

you might need to look into a nice solid state amp then...

I recommend going up to the Music Go Round up in Cockeysville and trying out a bunch of amps that sound like your Orange, but with more volume on tap

if you can find them, these are excellent:

40100_U41485.JPG

40105_u28308.JPG

40083_U27554.jpg

Acoustic Control Corp 70s amps

• Members

I'm not really into solid state stuff. Yeah, I know the orange is solid state, but once it gets turned up its meh. Plus, it doesn't do pedals that well. The tone is just good overall. That's the main thing I wanted to touch on with the Crush.

I might just have to further investigate into trying out an AD30, AC30 with better speakers, or find a classic to hold me over. Maybe I just need multiple amps to do all the different types of tones I'd like to have available.

At least I won't feel like a freak walking in with a bunch of pedals now. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, problem is theres a few that I consider essential to what I'm going for and I'd feel like a freak bringing in a whole pedalboard and setting up lol
:freak:

You shouldn't feel that way at all, take your pedalboard and guitar in to try out amps. I always feel inhibited trying to demo an amp in a music store with a different guitar etc.

Or just buy it from GC, try it out and return it ;-)

• Members

I'm not really into solid state stuff. Yeah, I know the orange is solid state, but once it gets turned up its meh. Plus, it doesn't do pedals that well. The tone is just good overall. That's the main thing I wanted to touch on with the Crush.

I might just have to further investigate into trying out an AD30, AC30 with better speakers, or find a classic to hold me over. Maybe I just need multiple amps to do all the different types of tones I'd like to have available.

At least I won't feel like a freak walking in with a bunch of pedals now.
:thu:

I wouldn't dismiss it... i was a huge tube snobm abd I sold all of them and am much happier with the consistancy and great ability to take ANY pedals that GOOD solid state amps offer... I have the Acoutsic 137 1x15" combo and it sounded much much better than my vintage Twin reverb that I soon sold afterwards.

• Members

Look into Dr Z! I am thinking about buying one of his amps. He uses Ef86's and el34's in some of his stuff. So it has the british sound. Then hes got stuff thats 6l6 and 12ax7. So you can find something that works. His prices aren't stupid high either. They're between 1200-1800. Ken Fisher also worked with him on some of his amp designs.

• Members

Thanks for the recs hangwire and TheHarakariEnd. I'll keep all that in mind when I'm out perusing. Wish me luck.

definitley... just don't close your mind and try as much as you can :thu:

I was suprise by these old ratty looking Yamaha combo with a redish orange pinstrip on the grill cloth that are sweet grungy toned beasts... I never bother to check if it amps are tube or not, I just play them to see if they sound good :)

• Members

You should definitely bring your guitar and a pedal with you to "test-drive" your amp. That way you know 100% for sure how the amp reacts to you, your guitar, your pedal, your sound.

I have no idea what music you play. However, I'll suggest one anyway. I have a Carr Rambler, and I use it for various sorts of music, including clean sounds; psychedelic fuzz tones; Cocteau Twins-type sounds, etc. So far, it sounds really great with everything. I use it in the recording studio quite a bit, and used it with a metal group (they used pedals to achieve their sound, but put it through my amp because they liked how it sounded much better than their 2x12 Line 6 Vetta and their Marshall).

It's about 40 lbs., so not very heavy, and is switchable pentode/triode (28/14 watts), and easily loud enough to fill a small rock club without need for micing.

The only "problem" with this amp is that it's super expensive. I lucked out and got it used, and also got a killer deal on it, but it's seriously expensive.

• Members

Another amp I'll add to my to be considered list. Thanks! :thu:

FYI for future posters, I play indie rock and roll-ish kinda of music. Tones I dig: Pretty Girls Make Graves, Redwalls, The Hold Steady, Bloc Party, Nada Surf, Saves the Day, The Strokes. It's a wide variety, so my main issue is covering a lot of ground.

• Members

The main amp I use is a Carr Rambler. It's amazing :love:. I've got other amps thinking that they would better suit my needs, but I always come back to it. It's been my main amp for... 3 years. It's small, plenty of head room, great sounding reverb, and takes pedals like a champ. It's perfect for what your describing, because a band I play with does a similar kind of music. The Dr. Z amps are great too though. The next amp I get will more than likely be a Prescription. I'll use the Carr for clean and the Z for dist. with some sort of pedal pushing it for harder stuff.

• Members

I use a lot of guitars with the Carr Rambler, which I've been using for about 5 years. My main guitar is a '67 SG, but I also use a Strat, a GirlBrand, an Ibanez archtop, and a DanElectro bari and have recorded it with a Washburn Falcon, a Guild archtop, and some others that escape me at the moment. They all sound really good through it. If you're running it clean with tremolo and nothing else, good archtops sound jaw-dropping. I mean, wow!!!

I've only played one SG ever, and it's my '67. The only thing I've noticed is that I have to roll off most of the bottom because it's a bit too much, for whatever reason, for my personal tastes and for playing with a band. I don't have to do this with the bari.

Archived