New Overdrive

Univoxer

• Members

I've been using an 80's Rat since.....well, since the 80's. I've gone through a long, long, list of distortions and overdrives, and I keep on coming back to the Rat. Amps also. I settled on a clean fender amp and an 80's Rat as the basis of my tone. I'm in a cover band playing everything from classic rock to modern stuff and can manipulate the amount of sounds from my guitar's volume. What a great pedal. I've said this a bunch of times before. Whether you use one or not, every guitarist owes it to themselves to at least have a Rat in the arsenal.

• Members

thanks for the help...
I do have a couple of questions.
Do you have a small box or large box RAT.
If it's a small box does it have the white logo or the black logo.
Will adding an LED to the vintage one effect the tone.
thanks for the help I REALLY appreciate it.:thu:

• Members

I've had each variation of the Rats. The vintage large Box reissue, the Original large box, a vintage small box with white lettering, keeley Rat, and a newer Rat 2. My favorite is the original large box rat. However, these go for big bucks now and the difference between that and the others are not that noticeable, except when you get to the Keeley and the newer Rat 2's. The one I use regularly is a late 80's Rat. The first year they starting using led's in the "A". It's the same green board as the older models, has the lm308 chip in it, and it sounds excellent. Plus it's smaller in size than the large box, and I like having the led.

To answer your question, I believe the led will change the tone a little bit, unless you have it modded by Keeley. He'll change some other things in there also so it maintains the original tone plus with an led. However, because these are now collector items, I wouldn't recommend doing it to a vintage pedal. It would be worth it just to get a late 80's Rat 2 with the led already there and lm308 chip in the circuit or a keeley rat straight from Keeley.

Archived