Guns - sounding distortion..

Stspider

• Members

Hi guys..

I'm looking for a od/distortion to operate with a clean tube amp to get those jcm 800 tones a la Guns n Roses...

What would you suggest?

Menatone King of the Britains seems like would do the trick, I like the 3 band equalizer idea a lot, is it recommended for this stuff?

Also the Carl Martin Plexitone seems quite likely to do the job, but I'm not too much into the crunch / lead channel idea, I'd rather have a one-trick pony..

Comments on these two?

Other recommendations?

This time (time to get MY christmas present) price is not an issue (but it must be a stomp, not a real Marshall head..)

Thank you very much.

• Members
With my Tokai Les Paul I can make my EHX English Muff'n sound very Guns 'n' Roses-y. It's got tubes and m@j@ too and it's quite versatile.

word i love the ehx english muff'n. It's really great for the british sound that slash uses. The tonebone hot british is also really good. I'll buy that and combine the two so i have british distortion and overdrive muhhahaha :love:

• Members

Amp is an engl classic, very warm sounding clean.

Guitars are Les Paul Studio with a Duncan Custom sh-5 in the bridge and a 52ri tele..I'd obviously be using the Gibson for that kinda tone.

I agree that Guns tones aren't THAT gainy..

I'd be interest in a powerful sound but I'm not into modern metal...some jcm800 pushed by an overdrive is pretty much where I'm at..maybe some Dual Rectifier tone but not too pushed.

I know about the crunch box but for some reason, even if it's not that pricey I can't decide of buying that pedal..and the three knobs layout doesn't excite me too much.

No recommendations for Menatones or Carl Martins?

Archived