AnalogMan! Lawyers! KOT's to Ebay only!

BmoreTele

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

um, i have dealt with mike and he's a good guy, but isn't this a just a case of a guy who copies other people's circuits getting mad at a guy telling people how to copy his circuits?

Yes, but the forum is merely DIY ers. No one is profiting from the information.

• Members

And i was just about to pull the trigger on a sunface...

this is a really poor decision. He will alienate some (not alot mind you, but certainly some) potential buyers because of this, and be out 100 grand, which is an absolutely ridiculous price for a lawyer regardless. There's no possible way he can win this.

• Members

The selling KOTs on ebay is a little implausible for raising $100,000. If he makes $500 per pedal (which he wont) he would still have to build 200 of them and sell every one (not gonna happen). Even if he did that it would probably be 3 months of solid work building them without a day off.

• Members

C'mon man you think that this is funny?

Absolutely. The pedal industry has always taken itself way too seriously, and it's always amused me.

Yes, morals vs. ethics, etc. etc. but it doesn't change the fact if people want to clone something they will, and can, whether it is right wrong, legal, or not (we've been over this a million times... it's near impossible to truly protect a circuit from copying and reselling, so there you go).

As with any other business, people are going to have to learn to adapt to the new age of free exchange of information.

Seriously. If you are afraid of cloners and DIY'ers affecting your sales, maybe it's time to look at a new business model, because let's be realistic, they aren't going away.

devi-

• Members

maybe the law will be the only way to get these sort of things figured out. Imo, too many people are copying each other already.

It's an internationally hosted website, the KOT is based on someone elses circuit, he doesn't hold the copywrite to the picture posted, etc. etc. Tough battle.

• Members

Absolutely. The pedal industry has always taken itself way too seriously, and it's always amused me.

Yes, morals vs. ethics, etc. etc. but it doesn't change the fact if people want to clone something they will, and can, whether it is right wrong, legal, or not (we've been over this a million times... it's near impossible to truly protect a circuit from copying and reselling, so there you go).

As with any other business, people are going to have to learn to adapt to the new age of free exchange of information.

Seriously. If you are afraid of cloners and DIY'ers affecting your sales, maybe it's time to look at a new business model, because let's be realistic, they aren't going away.

devi-

True, and things being the way they are nowadays, someone such as Analogmike should be able to use his good reputation as job security. This is counterproductive for him. He has the rep for being one of the nicest, most honest guys in the industry which shocks me that he'd resort to this. BTW, very decent of you, Devi to remove that quote.

• Members

It's an internationally hosted website, the KOT is based on someone elses circuit, he doesn't hold the copywrite to the picture posted, etc. etc. Tough battle.

yeah know that is why i think he is making a mistake. Imo, he makes a great product and any clones made will not be able to compete. He just needs to ramp up production the competition wont won't have a chance, clone or not.

• Members

These are the FS.org guys. I don't think they are a threat. First of all AnalogGuru doesn't even play guitar. The other guy is a kid. Its not as if they are authorities on TONE. HOWEVER, they have a thead on their forum which has pictures of all of us builders in a "hitlist" manner. I have been considering talking to the authorities cause that is as creepy as finding a phone book with lines through names.

• Members

These are the FS.org guys. I don't think they are a threat. First of all AnalogGuru doesn't even play guitar. The other guy is a kid. Its not as if they are authorities on TONE. HOWEVER, they have a thead on their forum which has pictures of all of us builders in a "hitlist" manner. I have been considering talking to the authorities cause that is as creepy as finding a phone book with lines through names.

Whoa, i haven't seen that thread. Creepathon.

Most of my experience on that forum has been good. AnalogGuru is quite condescending at times, but almost everyone there is just curious exactly what these goopers are charging us for. I know Brian Marshall's original designs were applauded for not being TS, LBP, Bluesbreaker, etc. clones.

Forums such as these prevent business terrorism.

• Members

i saw this at fs.org and wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

Wow, that's pretty sad actually.

I thought Mike was a much cooler person than that.

He must be worried that people will copy his COPY of someone else's pedal !!!

Tell us Mike, who gave you the legal rights to the Marshall BluesBreaker design anyway ? Oh and the Fuzz Face, Rangmaster and all the other CLONES you make a living building.

Unbelievable.

• Members

Yes, but the forum is merely DIY ers. No one is profiting from the information.

or at least you dont know of any YET. Since FS.org started there's already been one site that has shown up that is selling kits for a number of clones of boutique pedals. Now maybe that person is a member there, or maybe they aren't, but all the kits they are selling are pedals that have been traced on FS.org. hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Archived