Please help! Anyone know about the Crate KBA 60?

• Members

Hey everyone. This is my first post in this section of HC so, hello to everyone. Hope everyone is well.

I just picked up this Amp and was wondering if anyone has experience with these. I got it for $50 and I currently have a passive bass plugged into it and it sound very clean. Its three channels and has 4 EQ. I understand these are keyboard amps but are used for basses and sometimes PAs. It sound pretty good with a mic plugged into it too.

Can anyone shed some light on this relic for me? Any help input would help. Thanks.

[ATTACH]235833[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]235834[/ATTACH]

(click) click

• Members

Hey, I'm old school! And I think you snagged what I need!

Wish I would have had one of these last Friday when I used my rig in an outdoor venue. Used to have a similar Peavey KB-100 60 watt with 15 inch and tweeter. Does yours have a 15?

The Peavey also had 3 channels and a send (!) so it worked perfectly for monitoring while sending a feed to the main board in the past.

I'd say ears are the best judge, and if yours sound clean it IS clean. Looks like you got a good deal.

My Peavey worked fantastic for keys, bass (perhaps a little underpowered, but workable), and I even had to pinch hit with it a few times as the 'main PA' in some small rooms. It was a bit boomy for acoustic guitar on it's own. Keyboard amps are broad-range amps so work with a lot of instruments. I am actually looking for something a little smaller, a 10-12" maybe even 8" for convenience and I do not have to compete on stage volume-wise so much.

One thing for sure, my keys and accoustic guitar sound TERRIBLE Through my guitar amp!!!

welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new myself, and getting to know everyone. Spent most of my time on the Recording Forum up to now.

• Members

Thanks for the welcome and the info cada! To answer your question 'bout the amp, yes it has a 15". I didn't take off the tweed but it does have what looks like a 4 inch horn above the 15. It has two vent holes on the bottom corners.

I also have a New Line6 150watt bass amp, to plug my active bass (Iby SRX) into, and that KBA is almost as loud. Its a little flat for bass though. To me it seems to not have enough treble even with the highs pumped up and the lows knocked down. I got a real singer on the mic and I was very impressed with the quality for vocals.

It has line out and also ext. speaker. Do you know what the matching cab's model is? I'd love to get ahold of one!

• Members

Er, it has 60 watts and it's made by Crate? It's an amp, right? What kind of help are you seeking?

Well, I just wanted to know, from someone farmiliar with these amps, any info they might have. Versatility, any known problems, how they sound as a small monitor or plugged into one, When was it made, I could go on but I'm sure you must now understand. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough on my first post, mate.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Lol, sorry for bumping a topic but I don't want to post a new post regarding this amp without having to. I just got ahold of one of these today and it sounds amazing, perfect for anything really.. but I would really like to know more.. like if anyone knows anything about it period. all I know is it's 60w@4ohms and has an ext. cab option.. But whats the footswitch supposed to be for? I don't have one so I can't really try it out. Mines in about pristine condition, it gets some crackling when turning up the master, but other than that, everything works.. cept the reverb is pretty week, but still feels alot more natural than most out there.. I think it's from the late 80s or early 90s, cause it seems a little weathered, and anything that was white on it, such as the tolex, is tinted a bit.

Archived