Electro 1 vs. Electro 2

mchristi

• Members

I know a lot of Electro threads, sorry I looked in the search and haven't found a comparison between electro and electro 2.

I found a $1200 used electro 1 at long and mcquade.

I have a down payment on it, but I want to know if there's a big difference. I played it and it sounded pretty similar to the electro 2 I've played a few times at Long and McQuade, was hoping to get your opinion. One thing I noticed was the "Option" instrument on the electro 1 rather than the rhodes2 on the electro 2 (although the option was in fact a rhodes, is there a difference?).

Also very curious if the new upgrades (esp to the acoustic piano!) can be applied to the original electro. Is it version 3.0 that's the newest that would (hopefully) work? I've heard much better things about the upgraded piano for electro 2s but not originals.

so, is there a difference ? if so how so? thanks!

• Members

I believe an Electro 1 can be upgraded to OS2.0 and then afterwards, newer OS's can be used. OS updating in any Electro can only be done by MIDI and not by USB, though.

Software wise, all the possibilities are there, IIRC.

There are some minor hardware differences, most notably the absence of a MIDI led light in the Electro 1. The "option" print instead of "Rhodes2" is only cosmetically different: the same samples can be put in by using the ElectroTool program and the USB connection.

And I've read some stories about fried components (mother boards?) in Electro V1's in the past. Never had any trouble with my Electro V2, I must say.

• Members

+1

When Nord came out with the Electro 2, it was simply an operating system upgrade (ok, yes, with a case that says "Electro 2"), and was offered to Electro 1 owners for free.

No Electro 1's should exist!

I'm wondering if it's possible if the one you're looking at all ready has the upgrade. If it somehow missed it, I imagine it's still available.

• Members

I posted this a few years ago and still believe it to be true:

An original v1.0 Electro can be upgraded to v2.0 or v2.1 software and it will have the same sound and features as a brand new v2.0 or v2.1 Electro. However, there have been a fairly large number of users that have run into mother board crashes on v1.0 Electros that were upgraded. Various errors, lockups, etc. This same problem has not perpetuated itself in the v2.0 Electros (though there was at least one bad batch of v2.0 Electros that bypassed QC, resulting in some bent chassis and rivet pieces left inside the keyboard). Reportedly, the early Electros had a slightly different mother board that did not always take to the upgrade so well.

Other minor hardware differences between v1.0 and v2.0 Electros is some graphical differences and a MIDI reception light added to the 2.0.

You mention that the one you saw was $1200. That seems pretty steep for a v1.0 Electro and I would not spend that much. Is it a 61 or 73? I don't think a used v1.0 Electro should be selling for much more than about $750-800. You can find used v2.0 Electros in the $1k range. I would actually recommend buying a new one if you can, so you'll have warranty protection and a fresh instrument.

Archived