Behringer Vibrato rehouse thread - recovered from TGP

Uma Floresta

• Members

I have a Behringer Vibrato in the mail, and I remembered that Clay Jones had posted a thread about rehousing one over at TGP. But, all of Clay's posts got deleted at his request, apparently.

Luckily, I had copy and pasted the thread into my Gmail account. Here is the important stuff:

BehrViboutside1.jpg

BehrViboutside2.jpg

BehrViboutside3.jpg

BehrVibinside2.jpg

The Behringer UV-300 Vibrato came in couple of days ago. Very nice sounding effect. The only essential things I had to send to the round file were the jacks, power jack and the portions of the circuit itself which I didn't want and I cut out. The pots look to be Bourn. They rotate smoothly and are sturdily mounted to the board. I kept them. I kept the knobs. I pulled out the Latch/Bypass/Unlatch switch and hardwired the inverters to stay in Latch mode. I decided against the Unlatch mode after playing it for several hours and realizing that it wasn't something I needed. It's straight effect on or off now. I decided to bypass the circuit via the 3pdt blue switch and out of the signal chain when off. This doesn't need to be done but otherwise you'd have to reach down and toggle the 3 way switch to the onboard bypass mode to shut down the delay path. Very inconvenient.

The PCB itself, in spite of all the handwaving to the contrary, is excellent and holds up well to modifications. If you mod it, map out your plan, use high heat and get in and out as quickly as you can. No problem. The tracings/routing/thickness is really pro; way better than some of the very poorly autorouted and flimsy boards out there. Op amps are TL06X series. Praised for their low current draw, criticized for the hiss. I've "mistakenly" used the chips before and never found the hiss to be a problem at stage levels. You can hear it in your bedroom but I don't play in my bedroom and I don't have a studio. It might be an issue for those scenerios.

Behringer gets design points with this one. The original VCA is defunct so they worked in a more commonly available part to great effect. I'd recommend getting this pedal for that alone. In a booteek world where a "designer" can swap 3 parts and call a 30 year old circuit "his", Mr. Ule would have been more than justifed in calling the UV-300 "his"; substantially more know-how was involved in this redesigning than merely parts swapping. This would also apply to how he used inverters to trigger between the modes. Nice job.

I can't really give any recommendations on how to apply the effect yet since I haven't had a chance to play it out. It seemed to work very well with my DSP modeled "Rotary" effects. The Magicstomp's rotary patches seemed to warm up quite a bit when fed into this effect's analogue swell. My phasers liked it too. It seems like a lot of fun and quite usuable in several apps. I think it would be a welcome addition to any board as an effect to mix with other modulation effects creating more sound "movement" or motion.

• Members

Continued...

Thanks guys. It's a cool effect. The only bummer seems like the bypass. I've never played the original and I didn't twiddle with this one long enough before the rebuild to get a feel for what one would be up against in a live situation with having to play in say, an unbypassed latch position, with the effect not in use. Help here anyone?

Moe, I honestly don't know. I've never played the original. It was only a few short months ago though when I had the opportunity to buy one from a great local player. He didn't use it; didn't really understand it, I guess, and being a guy who doesn't keep up with pedal trends he had no idea what it's market price was. I offered him $75 and he said yes. I thought about it, couldn't do it to him, clued him in to the ebay prices and, well... that's my VB-2 story. Trustworthy word of mouth is that it does a great job in comparison - the settings levels are different but the effect, overall, is the same. It wouldn't matter to me though. It is, if anything, a stand alone true pitch modulating vibrato effect. You don't have to trick out a chorus or whatever which never quite worked for me anyway. It's that swelling, fading in and out, thing that these do which to me is the deal sealer. It adds "space" or whatever it's called to a typical pseudo-leslie-type-thing's 2D flatness. It seems perfect for that application. Other than Rate: "slowish"; I haven't decided yet quite how it'll be used. I think I'd like to just keep it subtle. Slow rise, slow rate, not too deep.

I think I'm slipping into the "it makes me feel like I'm tasting a boiled egg" or the "it makes me feel like how I feel when I see the color blue" or "I played it and I felt like I was a kid again, smelling that wet wood smell as I waited my turn on Disneyland's "Pirates of the Carribean" ride... it's the greatest effect ever; it smashes my place name here (btw mine is for sale for the low, low price...)" kind of review. It's all fun though, huh? Maybe someone with more experience with this type of effect will step up with a more meaningful quantitave analysis. This one doesn't seem to need it though, really. It's a pitch modulator and it does that more than just fine. Give it test drive if you get the chance.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

from what i have heard yesterday, excellent sounding pedal. The latch/unlatch/bypass switch is unintuitive. It lets you have that spillover effect after you hit the switch off. The rise knob is also confusing but allows you to configure the acceleration of the vibrato effect.... all the way ccw it's fast and all the way cw it's slow.

why did clay jones want his thread deleted? I have to agree with the "beauty is on the inside" observation, because from what i have seen, behringer PCB guts are pretty good. Do not let the plastic enclosure fool you because this could be the best $20 you can spend.

• Members

from what i have heard yesterday, excellent sounding pedal. The latch/unlatch/bypass switch is unintuitive. It lets you have that spillover effect after you hit the switch off. The rise knob is also confusing but allows you to configure the acceleration of the vibrato effect.... all the way ccw it's fast and all the way cw it's slow.

why did clay jones want his thread deleted? I have to agree with the "beauty is on the inside" observation, because from what i have seen, behringer PCB guts are pretty good. Do not let the plastic enclosure fool you because this could be the best $20 you can spend.

Yes, it's a very good effect.

Clay wanted the thread deleted because he didn't like the culture at TGP.

• 3 months later...

Archived