Best Pedal for Open Chords...

CiceroTJones

• Members

Alright, I have a BB Preamp for power chords, an MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive for higher gain blues, and a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic for Classic Rock stuff...

Now I just need one more pedal for gain. I need something that will give me clarity on open chords. I lead worship in a church band, and 90% of the time, I'm playing open chords while another guitarist plays lead/5 chords.

So the requirements are:

-Low to medium gain

-CLARITY, I want to hear every string

-No fizziness or Fuzziness

-Good low end

Any suggestions? And why? Maybe a video link or two?

• Members

your clean guitar tone should suffice, nil pedals, imho...

however, i'll put forward zvex's super duper 2 in 1 (or the SHO) if you're looking for clarity.. it seems to add presence to what you're playing, and with the sd2in1 you have the second channel with a 'master volume', for which you could crank the 'gain'/'boost' without destroying them church-goers.

• Members

your clean guitar tone should suffice, nil pedals, imho...

however, i'll put forward zvex's super duper 2 in 1 (or the SHO) if you're looking for
clarity
.. it seems to add presence to what you're playing, and with the sd2in1 you have the second channel with a 'master volume', for which you could crank the 'gain'/'boost'
without destroying them church-goers

I like your style.

• Members

Alright, I have a BB Preamp for power chords, an MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive for higher gain blues, and a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic for Classic Rock stuff...

Now I just need one more pedal for gain. I need something that will give me clarity on open chords. I lead worship in a church band, and 90% of the time, I'm playing open chords while another guitarist plays lead/5 chords.

So the requirements are:

-Low to medium gain

-CLARITY, I want to hear every string

-No fizziness or Fuzziness

-Good low end

Any suggestions? And why? Maybe a video link or two?

The Clark Gainster is a slam dunk for what you want! :)

Gut shot:

1552788GainsterInsides.JPG

• Members

For my money, I use a Telecaster with a TS-5 with the distortion down for this exact purpose. It's crystal clear and has just enough snap and edge to cut through a mix (the tele does 3/4 of that work).

PS: If you're both playing electrics with humbuckers, that's going to hurt your clarity, especially in the low-to-medium gain setting you're in. You're fighting for the same space in the spectrum and i'm not sure how much a pedal can help. Borrow a telecaster or SC Strat and play it on the bridge pickup in your practice--you'll notice that every note you plays stands out and occupies a different place in the spectrum than the other guitarist. In fact you'll have to make sure the Tele isn't too harsh and dominant.