Sign in to follow this  
PRSnotPOS

Black Metal Keyboard HELP!!!

Hey guys!! I'm kind of new to the keyboard world so please be patient. My gear is an Axiom 49 and Reason 3.0 software. I have played around with all the different sounds and instruments on Reason and a lot of them have an annoying delay (like the sound will start out low and then get louder). Also a lot of the vocal choirs sound cheesy. I was wondering if you guys could recommend some software that can sound like the keyboards on an Emperor or Cradle of Filth cd (yes I know they aren't true black metal). Even the keyboards on Jason Becker's Altitudes sounds nice. I just don't think Reason is the program I'm looking for. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

i am not in Black metal but i have listened to cof once...well normally they must be using hardware keys for that...try something that it can make pads and intro fx...,maybe korg stuff will suite you more since they have nixe choir/pads

good luck

The 'annoying delay' you speak of is probably 'attack time' and should be able to be adjusted.

I play keyboards in metal (not black metal though). You would probably be fairly sorted with some type of pro/workstation keyboard. Also ideal if you are going to be gigging. If you get a korg triton, yamaha motif, roland fantom or similar you would probably be able to do all your sounds in a live situation from one of them.

A Kurzweil would also be good, especailly for real instrument sounds.

If you want to continue with software, You could get quite a lot of nice sounds from Kontakt player + good sample library and Native Instrumetns Absynth has enough variation in sound that anyone could find something in there for themselves. Absynth has some quite good choir type pads but they aren't really realistic voices. The realistic choir sound I use is from kontakt player.

http://www.native-instruments.com

If you want really evil sounding realistic voices. Eastwest Symphonic Choirs could be worth trying. http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Quantum-Leap-Symphonic-Choirs-pr-EW-165.html ..... The demo videos are quite impressive. Also learn some latin.

If you are on a tight budget and want something really general purpose, pick up a used Korg X5 (I have an X5DR). They don't go for very much second hand. You can get fairly decent harpsicord, pipe organ, piano, synth strings, pads, amongst other things from that.

Your best bet would probably be a mid 90s Korg as those are both inexpensive and popular in the genre (especially the X-series). Interestingly enough, I recall reading Emperor used an Ensoniq TS12 for 'In the Nightside Eclipse'. Dimmu Borgir's 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' is mostly Korg X5, iirc (at least that's the board they used on stage). Korg really has the atmospheric stuff nailed, though, so that'd be my recommendation.

Im not much of a black metal fan, but the guys I know who play that sort of stuff swear by Korg AI2 based boards, so track down something like an X5D or N5EX ( I have one, and it serves we quite well ) and you should be set. Generally in my experience ( I played in a metal band or two ) Korg is the best bang for buck option for metal. Software wise, you could do just fine with Fruity Loops and free soundfonts downloadable from net especially when choirs are in question.

I have played around with all the different sounds and instruments on Reason and a lot of them have an annoying delay (like the sound will start out low and then get louder).

You want good pipe organs, good choir sounds, good strings...

I love CoF!!! But only Dusk and Her Embrace and Cruelty and the Beast...

I'd suggest looking at some entry-level workstations like...

The TR series (Korg) is a good entry-level workstation and the strings, organs, and pads are well suited (even as pre-sets) for that type of music.

If you have some money to throw around, I'd look into the Yamaha S90ES (though not a workstation, I think the sound bank in that would blow your mind). I kinda want one now. I just spent some serious time with one and am trying to replace my Motif 8 with one.

Any takers? HA!

Yup, and you get the added benefit of having a synth
actually made of black metal
:D

I'm so gothic, I'm dead. :evil:

I'm so gothic, I'm dead.
:evil:

I'm so goth, I shit bats :D.

No, seriously. Korg TR or Le - those have the bombastic orchestral sounds plus the signature solo lead sounds. Or an X50, which is a sequencer-less version of the TR/Le (similar "architecture", so to say).

Thanks a TON guys. There's a lot of useful information here. I'll see what my options are. Yea... COF sucks post Midian.

I recall an interview with Living Colour and someone, Vernon Reid? triggered an Oberheim something or other sampler player, that's about it. Train track sounds, Malcom X speech etc.

Guys, are you serious? Black metal has nothing to do with the color of skin of band members, Living Color definitely was not a Black Metal band.

AFAIK, this is black metal.

C#minor are you serious? have you never heard the song "Living Colour Is My Favorite Black Metal Band" by Anal Cunt?

it's okay, laugh a little. life's not that bad.

to be honest, i didn't realise there _were_ keyboards in black metal. i knew there was lots of Alesis DM5 though.

:D Sorry didn't get the joke, and I never heard of that song before :D

I am familiar with Vernon Reid, Living Color Guitarist, was one of my shredding guitar gods when I was in high school, and no way their music were as black as the Nordic 'black' metal :lol:. I am getting too old :)

I JUST SAW THE GAYEST GUY ON EARTH is another good Anal Cunt song.

P.S. I've spent some time tweaking the orchestra patches on my TR...they're really friggin' nice.

Buy one 4 BLK METALZZZ!!! SATAN PoWNED ME!

Hey guys!! I'm kind of new to the keyboard world so please be patient. My gear is an Axiom 49 and Reason 3.0 software. I have played around with all the different sounds and instruments on Reason and a lot of them have an annoying delay (like the sound will start out low and then get louder). Also a lot of the vocal choirs sound cheesy. I was wondering if you guys could recommend some software that can sound like the keyboards on an Emperor or Cradle of Filth cd (yes I know they aren't true black metal). Even the keyboards on Jason Becker's Altitudes sounds nice. I just don't think Reason is the program I'm looking for. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think your setup will work fine. I just think you need to learn how to use Reason and the different modules within it.

Like someone else said, the noise you hear is probably the attack time in the envelope section of the sound module you use. For example, if you selected a pad patch in the subtractor sound module, they may sound slow because the attack is high. I think you should learn what all the buttons do and then try to edit the patches that come with reason to suit your needs.

You can buy sample CD's to use with Reason too. You can buy choir CD's and use those sounds within Reason and it will sound fine. By the way, there is a really good choir sound called "monk choir," in the NN-XT module. I used that patch for one of my metal songs.

I'm surprised no mention of Casio for black metal usage considering some of the bands are quite rudimentary in skills. Lol. Although, the new Casio CT-X series was said to have quite a powerful sound engine (AiX), I wonder what are some of the latest keyboards with powerful sound engines without costing over $1k? There should be more options now than a decade ago.

I'm actually in the market for keyboards although I probably could use my old Roland GR-20 guitar synth pedal as a sound module to get the "black metal" keyboard sounds, it's just not the same thing as actually playing on an actual standalone keyboards. 

I'd assume the base Casio ct-x700 would have more than enough capabilities than its higher up versions (CT-X3000 and CT-X5000).

Edited by samal50