Who "invented" tapping?

jorhay1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and if we are talking about metal/rock only then Ace Frehley was doing it before I suspect....as was Steve Hackett from Genesis.

So Steve predates Ace a little. Hogweed was cut in '71. anyone before that?

Edit: who was doing it in the 50's? (Non rock/okay)

• Members

Larry is one in a million (can you handle it?)

one of my mentors is an old CBS/Columbia staff engineer who recorded some of Sly's greatest recordings. He swears that Sly and not Larry invented slapping bass. He says Sly played bass in the studio and Larry learned it from him. who knows. but an interesting story none the less.

• Members

Larry is one in a million (can you handle it?)

one of my mentors is an old CBS/Columbia staff engineer who recorded some of Sly's greatest recordings. He swears that Sly and not Larry invented slapping bass. He says Sly played bass in the studio and Larry learned it from him. who knows. but an interesting story none the less.

Just so long as Sly isn't better than Larry, because I don't think my brain could handle that. How could you get much better than that?

Anyway I read somewhere about some guy in the 30's who slapped his double bass. He was called Slappy Fingers McGee or something you know how it is.

• Members

weird for me cuz i went to school in the bay area and at the neighboring high school was a guy who played guitar by the name of Stanley Jordan.

for me, he (and chapman,,kinda) made it popular, albeit at that time just locally. When EVH came out I didn't think of him as an innovator, just a good player. But since he sold more records than Stanley, I guess he wins. Interesting wikipedia link. "centuries" huh? wow.

loving the Booker White!

Archived