marine throws puppy

TZR

• Members

Not to be a dick but i hate animal rights activists. They are just like environmentalists they go around spuing their {censored} and condemn those who dont agree with them to hell.

well sorry but you are being a dick, that's a stupid blanket statment. Many activists are good ordinary people, to be an activist just means you are actively involved in something, be that leafleting, protesting, campaining, making a film, writing a book, giving lectures, selling t-shirts or whatever. even if you don't agree with anything they say, it's a pretty stupid thing to say you hate them all.

Personally i'm {censored}ing glad that people have A:the right and B: the guts to stand up for something they believe in and actually do something about it (become active) rather than just sit around on the internet talking {censored}e, mouthing opinions but NEVER doing anything about it. Activists for all causes get my respect even if I don't agree with them.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well sorry but you are being a dick, that's a stupid blanket statment. Many activists are good ordinary people, to be an activist just means you are actively involved in something, be that leafleting, protesting, campaining, making a film, writing a book, giving lectures, selling t-shirts or whatever. even if you don't agree with anything they say, it's a pretty stupid thing to say you hate them all.

Personally i'm {censored}ing glad that people have A:the right and B: the guts to stand up for something they believe in and actually do something about it (become active) rather than just sit around on the internet talking {censored}e, mouthing opinions but NEVER doing anything about it. Activists for all causes get my respect even if I don't agree with them.

That was just my experiance with them, i have a teacher thats a environmentalists and if you dont agree with him he pretty much just tells you to shut the hell up or get out.

• Members

That was just my experiance with them, i have a teacher thats a environmentalists and if you dont agree with him he pretty much just tells you to shut the hell up or get out.

Come on, man, because one guy is a weinie, everyone who shares his beliefs is a weinie, too? That's like saying, "I met a Lithuanian once and he stole my wallet, therefore all Lithuanians are theives and should be treated as such."

Please think things through, you can't lump everyone together like that. You would be surprised to know that most animal rights (not PETA, they're freakin' nuts - oops, sorry, blanket statement) activists and environmentalists bring pretty strong and reasoned arguments to the table - both scientific and moral arguments.

• Members

I'm getting pretty sick of all these generalizations.

I know it's a way to deal with information overload, you can't check on everyone all the time. But seriously, there are some very lousy generalizations in this thread.

• Members

I'm getting pretty sick of all these generalizations.

I know it's a way to deal with information overload, you can't check on everyone all the time. But seriously, there are some very lousy generalizations in this thread.

Nah, it's laziness.

• Members

well i do admit ive only met a handful of people that are connected to PETA and certain environmental groups, the teacher was only one example.

just find its a pattern with every new one i meet.

i've had teachers like that

• Members

All life is precious is a belief. Not everyone believes it or believes it in the same way. I eat meat, I've slaughtered animals and have eaten them. To me this does not change my belief that the life of the animal I am devouring is in some way sacred. Under certain extreme circumstances, I would eat you. But I would never just throw your dead carcuss off a cliff, film it, and make a joke about it. Sleep tight.

That makes much more sense. Very well said, sir!

I just wish there were more rational, well-informed persons such as yourself, others, and I that can look at an issue and not completely over-react.

First of all, whoever threw the puppy off the cliff has probably not and will probably not be punished at all for it. There were no crimes committed (as far as I know, there is nothing pertaining to animal treatment in the UCMJ), and even if there were, I can't think of a single commander who would take the time to punish an act like this when I guarantee they could be looking at intel and trying to figure out what course of action they should be taking REGARDING HUMAN LIFE. Yes, this was in bad taste. Yes, it's very cruel (given the dog is alive). But to base your entire opinion of the US military on this is absolutely absurd. To demand the death of the Marines responsible is, by far, the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life.

To the poster who wanted to hurl the Marine responsible off the cliff (in a sweet, sweet sense of poetic justice): Get off these boards and into real life. Seriously.

dont20worry20sir20im20from20the20interne

:wave:

• Members

Come on, man, because one guy is a weinie, everyone who shares his beliefs is a weinie, too? That's like saying, "I met a Lithuanian once and he stole my wallet, therefore all Lithuanians are theives and should be treated as such."

Please think things through, you can't lump everyone together like that. You would be surprised to know that most animal rights (not PETA, they're freakin' nuts - oops, sorry, blanket statement) activists and environmentalists bring pretty strong and reasoned arguments to the table - both scientific and moral arguments.

Nothing on you triplover, but how come people are so quick to defend Animal Rights activists against generalizations, but are so quick to attack the US military as a whole?

Sure it takes guts to fight for something you believe in. But the funny thing is, Marines and soldiers and seamen all do the same thing. They believe in something, or else they wouldn't be in the military. They all lifted their right hand and took an oath on their own, knowing full well the consequences, knowing full well the very real possibility of death, knowing full well they'll be respected by others and hated by just as many.

The difference between soldiers and Animal Rights activists are that soldiers are trained to fight to the death for our rights and identity as a nation. Animal Rights activists tend to run at the first whiff of tear-gas and want us to treat animals more like humans.

Of course, I cannot say that every soldier in every battle in every conflict was fighting for our rights and identity as a nation. Some were motivated out of fear or anger (soldiers are people, too), and some were motivated by clueless superiors. That I cannot deny. But I also cannot deny the generally very positive effect having a military has had on this country.

And another point I'd like to make: If you have an issue with the war in Iraq or Afghanistan (we're still there, trying to eliminate terrorists. You know, the same people that could hurl a human infant off a cliff probably just as easily as this Marine threw this dog), the troops on the ground did NOT make the decision to invade or occupy. They made a decision to serve their country. They made a decision to fight for an ideal they believed in. How can you criticize anyone for that? If you have an issue with any war we're in, blame the men and women civilian side that make the decisions we're sworn to uphold and protect. Even better, why don't you get out and vote? That's way you'll end this war. Elect officials you feel are less of war-mongers than the elected officials are now. Actually make a difference instead of pointing fingers. Men and women have killed and have been killed to protect your right to cast a ballot. What a grave insult not voting must be.

And finally, one last thing I want to say (as if this post wasn't long enough, huh?). If you think the US is benefiting from any sort of discount on Iraq's oil because we're currently occupying it, stop reading your chain emails and read the reports the people responsible have written. All current Iraq oil production that was previously monitored by government officials that are now removed from office is currently being monitored by the UN (production by privately owned wells are not affected). It's being stored in barrels on Iraqi soil guarded by Iraqi policemen and will be given back to the Iraqi government as soon as the UN deems it stable enough. Arbitrary, I know, but isn't the truth much better than thinking big brother is out to kill men, women and children to provide fuel for your SUVs?

Okay, I'm finished for a bit. :thu:

• Members
Nothing on you triplover, but how come people are so quick to defend Animal Rights activists against generalizations, but are so quick to attack the US military as a whole?

Sure it takes guts to fight for something you believe in. But the funny thing is, Marines and soldiers and seamen all do the same thing. They believe in something, or else they wouldn't be in the military. They all lifted their right hand and took an oath on their own, knowing full well the consequences, knowing full well the very real possibility of death, knowing full well they'll be respected by others and hated by just as many.

The difference between soldiers and Animal Rights activists are that soldiers are trained to fight to the death for our rights and identity as a nation. Animal Rights activists tend to run at the first whiff of tear-gas and want us to treat animals more like humans.

Of course, I cannot say that every soldier in every battle in every conflict was fighting for our rights and identity as a nation. Some were motivated out of fear or anger (soldiers are people, too), and some were motivated by clueless superiors. That I cannot deny. But I also cannot deny the generally very positive effect having a military has had on this country.

And another point I'd like to make: If you have an issue with the war in Iraq or Afghanistan (we're still there, trying to eliminate terrorists. You know, the same people that could hurl a human infant off a cliff probably just as easily as this Marine threw this dog), the troops on the ground did NOT make the decision to invade or occupy. They made a decision to serve their country. They made a decision to fight for an ideal they believed in. How can you criticize anyone for that? If you have an issue with any war we're in, blame the men and women civilian side that make the decisions we're sworn to uphold and protect. Even better, why don't you get out and vote? That's way you'll end this war. Elect officials you feel are less of war-mongers than the elected officials are now. Actually make a difference instead of pointing fingers. Men and women have killed and have been killed to protect your right to cast a ballot. What a grave insult not voting must be.

And finally, one last thing I want to say (as if this post wasn't long enough, huh?). If you think the US is benefiting from any sort of discount on Iraq's oil because we're currently occupying it, stop reading your chain emails and read the reports the people responsible have written. All current Iraq oil production that was previously monitored by government officials that are now removed from office is currently being monitored by the UN (production by privately owned wells are not affected). It's being stored in barrels on Iraqi soil guarded by Iraqi policemen and will be given back to the Iraqi government as soon as the UN deems it stable enough. Arbitrary, I know, but isn't the truth much better than thinking big brother is out to kill men, women and children to provide fuel for your SUVs?

Okay, I'm finished for a bit.
:thu:

Good point, but why you askin me???

I didn't say anything about the military.

My dad was military. Served in Vietnam, First Cavalry, Air Mobile. His unit was in that movie, We Were Soldiers Once, And Young with Mel Gibson. He was there at that battle (Ia drang Valley) and a hell of a lot of other places, was a crew chief on one of those Hueys, lost a lot of friends, still has the occasional nightmare. He left after the war then went back into the National Guard and served until 1989 when he retired.

His dad in WWII, infantry, carried shrapnel in his back and neck til the day he died. He was shot in the head at the battle of the Bulge left for dead in the snow and dragged himself on his knees back to the American lines. He spent a year at Valley Forge VA hospital having his face put back together. He saw some stuff that would make a lot of people lose their minds. He volunteered for it when he didn't have to go because he had three young kids back at home. But he felt he had to.

These guys that go to face hell for their country are mostly heroes - some are assholes, sure but assholes are everywhere. Give an asshole a gun and he will probably become a bigger asshole, but for the most part, these guys are heroes.

So dude, don't make assumptions on how someone might think or feel about an issue based on how he feels about something else.

TORTURING AND THROWING A PUPPY OVER A CLIFF IS {censored}ED UP!!! PERIOD. AND IF YOU ARE THAT KIND OF PERSON, THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH YOU. I DON'T CARE WHO DOES IT. AND IF MY DAD OR GRANDFATHER SAW THAT SICK {censored} DOING THAT, THEY WOULD HAVE KICKED HIS TEETH IN.

• Members

Good point, but why you askin me???

I didn't say anything about the military.

My dad was military. Served in Vietnam, First Cavalry, Air Mobile. His unit was in that movie,
We Were Soldiers Once, And Young
with Mel Gibson. He was there at that battle (Ia drang Valley) and a hell of a lot of other places, was a crew chief on one of those Hueys, lost a lot of friends, still has the occasional nightmare. He left after the war then went back into the National Guard and served until 1989 when he retired.

His dad in WWII, infantry, carried shrapnel in his back and neck til the day he died. He was shot in the head at the battle of the Bulge left for dead in the snow and dragged himself on his knees back to the American lines. He spent a year at Valley Forge VA hospital having his face put back together. He saw some stuff that would make a lot of people lose their minds. He volunteered for it when he didn't have to go because he had three young kids back at home. But he felt he had to.

These guys that go to face hell for their country are mostly heroes - some are assholes, sure but assholes are everywhere. Give an asshole a gun and he will probably become a bigger asshole, but for the most part, these guys are heroes.

So dude, don't make assumptions on how someone might think or feel about an issue based on how he feels about something else.

TORTURING AND THROWING A PUPPY OVER A CLIFF IS {censored}ED UP!!! PERIOD. AND IF YOU ARE THAT KIND OF PERSON, THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH YOU. I DON'T CARE WHO DOES IT. AND IF MY DAD OR GRANDFATHER SAW THAT SICK {censored} DOING THAT, THEY WOULD HAVE KICKED HIS TEETH IN.

Sorry for the misrepresentation, but I really wasn't asking just you specifically. I meant to say I had nothing against you, and then ask the boards a question. I'm sorry if you feel singled out, but that was exactly what I was trying NOT to do. My mistake.

As for your dad and grandpa, I'm sure they're great people. Almost everyone I've met that has stayed in the military until retirement are really good people. The stresses of being in the military really highlight one's shortcomings, mentally, morally, and physically, so anyone who can stay in for twenty years under those stresses are obviously prime examples of humans in any case.

I wasn't trying to say that because you were defending animal rights activists that you have negative feelings towards the military at ALL. It just seems anything government related is looked down upon, even when in the long runs it helps people. It just seems silly to me.

• Members

That guy should get a code red. Its funny tho how people get more upset over some guy throwing a dead puppy than they do over the the amount of civilian Iraqi casulaties that have been killed or maimed since the start of this war. :eek:

• Members
That guy should get a code red. Its funny tho how people get more upset over some guy throwing a dead puppy than they do over the the amount of civilian Iraqi casulaties that have been killed or maimed since the start of this war.
:eek:

What???

You cant be upset over both????

Come on, why can't we stick to the point?

And I'm sorry, I'm dead set against the war in Iraq, have been from the start but the US military are not the nihilistic suicide bombers blowing up people in markets.

• Members

That guy should get a code red. Its funny tho how people get more upset over some guy throwing a dead puppy than they do over the the amount of civilian Iraqi casulaties that have been killed or maimed since the start of this war.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a code red, besides a crappy Mountain Dew spin off? :cop:

• Members

And I'm sorry, I'm dead set against the war in Iraq, have been from the start but the US military are not the nihilistic suicide bombers blowing up people in markets.

I agree with this. I'm against the war, but I signed up during it.

Hypocritical? Nope. While I'm against this war, I believe that the military is, in essence, a very positive institution and one I'd like to be in and associated with. You see, fighting in a war isn't the only reason people join the military.

• Members

Again it's this stupid, binary thinking, "It's this or it's that." It's conservative or liberal; it's black or it's white. People who think this, always think that. I think the vast majority of people are just programmed like computers to think this way.

So if you care about animals, you don't care about people? WTF???? Can't you see how utterly ridiculous you sound???

Of course it's a horrific tragedy what is happening to the people in Iraq, but TORTURING AND KILLING ANIMALS is part of the same continuum of evil. The same kind of sickness that would cause a person to torture and kill an animal would cause them to torture and kill a human. It's EVIL, don't you {censored}ing get it?

• Members

dude code red mountain dew is the {censored}z:cop:

Ha ha, to each his own. Personally, I like the original better, and I thought Pitch Black was pretty good, I enjoyed Live Wire, but I just don't get along with Code Red.

• Members

Ha ha, to each his own. Personally, I like the original better, and I though Pitch Black was pretty good, I enjoyed Live Wire, but I just don't get along with Code Red.

loved pitch black as well but live wire, ugh i hated it so much i actually stopped drinking mountain dew for awhile.

• Members

You've not been paying much attention, apparently. I'll try to get you caught up:

There are PLENTY of people upset over the death toll of the war, civilian and military, on both sides. There have been since it started. The dissent has been fairly publicized for years. The guy throwing the puppy, otoh, (which might or might not be dead) has been in the news for 2 or 3 days now.

Archived