New Line 6 Products

TheGareth

• Members

Well, if you're a fan of the 4-button stomp series or the fx in the XT series, then you'll probably like the M13. I for one, think it's gonna be really cool, so I plan on ordering one as soon as they are available.

The TC stuff is too clean for me. It doesn't have any character.

Yeah I'd be interested to know where the "engines" for the effects come from, it mentions the XX-4 modelers, but how do those models compare to the XT? Wasn't there an upgrade in the quality of the effects going from the Pod 2.0 to the XT? And didn't the XX-4 series predate the XT series?

For example I'm wondering if the Boost/Comp/EQ model is the same as the one you liked on the XT... or is it from the DM-4....and even if it is from the DM-4, how does it compare.

Honestly for me though, as long as you can repeat effects I'm good with it. And there was something on the site that lead me to believe you can do that.

The one big knock I have is that it doesn't appear to be upgradable via PC. Yeah I guess in theory they could do it via midi, but USB would have been the obvious choice. Why would I want to upgrade anything? I dunno, why not? The possibility to upgrade to new models sound good to me, even if I do have to buy a model pack.

I'm also curious if you can assign multiple "parameters" to a single expression pedal (ie, Delay time, and Delay feedback to one pedal), and if so, what's the max.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty sure the XT refined teh amp/cab models and added effects models that weren't on the 2.0. As far as I know, all the FX models are the same - they've never been revised/improved. Line 6 has done a great job of repackaging the same technology for years - the only reason I will consider the M13 is that I happen to like their delays and verbs and a few of their modulations and filter effects, and I got really tired of the amp/models cabs, but I'm not expecting any major improvements in sound quality.

• Members

The tonecore chorus is horrendous. I don't understand how you could find that really good.

Each to his own, but the Tri Chorus mode is the best I've used coming from someone who normally hates chorus. And regardless of your standards it undeniably eats line 6's other efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Does this thing do presets? It looks great, but apart from the fact that it does MIDI, which is intriguing, I don't see it being the best option for me. It's well priced, but I'd like to be able to combine effects. If it did have presets, it would be perfect for me - I need a cheap, good sounding effects solution until I'm in a position to build a basic rack. (I.e. in a few years time)

:thu:

• Members

thanks for the manual... awesome

tap tempo? syncing tremolo with delay etc... two expression pedals, one expression can be used on multiple effects...

i should sell my dl-4 and fm-4 now before this comes out... might lower the prices.. but i don't know what i would do without them.

the looper beats the dl-4 looper. you can change the volume changes when you loop and there is an undo button. i need an undo button

• Members

From what I understood from the manual it remembers the settings of the scene when you leave it. And for each scene (there are 12), you have 3 "Memory" settings - the A, B, C switches underneath each each one of the 4 effects banks...

So If I'm understanding it all correctly, you have 12 scenes (12 virtual pedal boards).

Each Scene has up to 4 effects types/Banks (Possible banks are Distortion, Delay, Mod, Filter, Verb) - These can be in any order, and you can repeat types - Effects loop can be plugged in anywhere (ie between banks)

Each Bank has 3 different settings A, B, and C - So it's like in a given scene/virtual board you have 3 delay pedals if you have one bank that is set to Delay - only one of those delays can be used at a time (unless you had another bank set to delay).

• Members

I think you've misunderstood one thing. In a column, FXunit1 for instance you can have Screamer in "A", Opto Trem in "B" and Octo Reverb in "C". You can place any effect of any type in any location. You're not confined to putting only distortions in A,B and C of a column, you can truly mix it up.

As for presets, you can kind of think of the Scenes as presets. Through MIDI you'll be able to call up a scene just like a preset. The active fx will be whatever were active last time that scene was used.

By way of an advanced MIDI controller like the Axess FX1, you should be able to call up a scene and then also control which of the fx modules are turned on with CC messages.

• Members

I think you've misunderstood one thing. In a column, FXunit1 for instance you can have Screamer in "A", Opto Trem in "B" and Octo Reverb in "C". You can place any effect of any type in any location. You're not confined to putting only distortions in A,B and C of a column, you can truly mix it up.

If so... then all the better.

My only hesitation with it really is the sound. I know I'd be game for the delays, I love what Chris Crisci from Appleseed Cast gets out of his... not to mention how many other boards the DL-4 has appeared on. Octo on the verb isn't quite as nice as the DHP-33 for shimmer, but will be kinda nice.

I upgraded my Gearbox software to give me all the models of the XT, plus I got the Metal, FX and Classic packs today, and honestly I ended up being underwhelmed. Maybe it's just my studio monitors... or maybe I'm just not used to it.

I need to go back and make sure I've downloaded some of your XT patches, because you're clips always sounded great.

• Members
Yes. Each one of the four engines can be set to any Fx type. This way you can use even up to 4 effects of the same type simultaneously (e.g. 4 DLYs, 4 od/dist etc.)

:love:

dont know if u guys looked at the manual but it has a ooh wah i think and a vb-2 sim.

interesting. wonder how good they sound :idk:

• Members

This is the big question - the sound quality. In terms of felxibility, it has all I could ever asked for: any effects in any order, ext loop anywhere in the chain, 3 memories per engine, 12 scenes. Very nice !

• Members

the thing i dont get it people saying line 6 stuff is gimmicky and that they are toys.

i only ever hear people rave about DL4's, echo parks, verbzillas etc but i guess reliability comes into play.

1 thing to think about for the haters is you could have 4 DL4's running at one time :idea: worth the price of admission right there no :)

• Members

I think what it comes down to is a LOT of features in something they claim to be the size of 2 of the 4-button stompers. I was in the middle of a pedalboard build which was going to have a DM4, MM4 and a Boss DD-20. The announcement of the M13 put that pedalboard plan on hold indefinitely. It will give me all of the same sounds in a more convenient package with only 1 power supply to worry about.

I still prefer the sound of the DD20 for modulated delay, but we'll see if L6 listens to my suggestion of making the mod delay actually sound good...and not like a flanged delay which sounds pretty bad.

...plus, like another poster mentioned, you get a Verbzilla thown in for good measure. The M13 is a tremendous value when you think about it. Each of the 4-button stompers is $250 new.

DL4 $250

MM4 $250

DM4 $250

FM4 $250

Verbzilla $110

TOTAL = $1110

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M13/

At $499, it's a ridiculous bargain.

...and I didn't even mention the 28 second looper.

Archived