Anyone knows what gear Lynyrd Skynyrd played?

CaptHowdy

• Members
They're not really "hanging around", though. I don't think Powell is
technically
original, but close enough to call him that, anyway. When they had at least a few original (or at least pre-'77) members of the band, it was understandable. At this point, it's just pathetic, though.

I guess they have to make a living, somehow. So {censored}ing what? So does everybody else. Rossington can call whatever random group of musicians he wants to "Lynyrd Skynyrd", I guess. They're trashing the hell out of the legacy of the real thing, though.

Powell's been w/ them since the first album so I would call him original ;) Personally I wouldn't care to see them in their current incarnation, but obviously a lot of people still want to hear those songs played live and I have no problem w/ that. And no, they hardly resemble the band that they used to be but that can be said for a lot of other bands as well. Ironically, I think Rossington is probably trying to preserve their legacy by still playing/putting out records, but the younger fans probably don't have a clue about what they were all about at their zenith. I guess none of it really matters much anyway.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I guess I've got to type that first sentence again;
:idk:

I didn't say they should quit playing music.

Only one of them was even there for the "early yrs. of hard work and little pay", I'm pretty sure. Besides, is there some law that the only band they can play in is "Skynyrd"? If so, they're out of luck. There hasn't really been any such thing in over 30 years.

No worries.
I didn't read the thread too well and see what you mean.

I also think that to a lot of kids,
seeing LS with one or two orig. members is still pretty cool.
Unless the other guys are butchering it.
I tend to believe they'd be copying as much as poss.
It's never gonna be just like the 70's anyway,
even if the orig. guys were there.

• Members

King Crimson has always been and will always be King Crimson. What's wrong with Esckinnared (sic) having whatever lineup they want so long as they keep competent musicians who agree on the musical direction of the band? I don't see how it's hurting anything, even if it is kind of a joke among fans.

• Members

That's true, as well. It's a different time, and their peak is long over with, even if everybody was still around.

My mistake on Powell. I didn't think he was on Pronounced, for some reason. Maybe it's some of that early demo stuff on the box set and whatnot that he wasn't on, that made me think that. I'd call him original, in that case, too, though.

It's not even the "few original members" thing that bugs me, though. I can't quite put my finger on it. Hell, the Allman Bros. are still constantly evolving, musically, and personell wise, and it's good with Derek and Warren. I think it's because they're letting it flow, instead of trying to recreate the past, though. With Skynyrd, they seem more like they're covering their "own" material.

I don't blame them for playing music, even together (well, in as much as they are...it'd be great if Ed King and Artimus Pyle were playing with them...anybody know what the story is on those guys?) There's just something about the way they've gone about it, at least from the few things I've seen and heard. It's almost like they're playing into the stereotypes, or something. I can't imagine RVZ ever having written a song like "Red, White, and Blue", in terms of the message, or even more importantly, the insight and overall quality of the lyrics. His thoughts ran a little deeper than that, imo.

• Members

King Crimson has always been and will always be King Crimson. What's wrong with Esckinnared (sic) having whatever lineup they want so long as they keep competent musicians who agree on the musical direction of the band? I don't see how it's hurting anything, even if it is kind of a joke among fans.

Also a good point. I was responding to machine gunner and jove's posts, and hadn't seen yours until I posted.

Like I said, the Allman Brothers Band is still incredible live, and their last studio album is as good as any studio album they've ever put out, imo, at least since Brothers and Sisters, and they're down to 3 original guys, now. Gregg and the drummers.

• Members

I definitely see what you're talking about, though. I think it's sort of the same thing that happened to a lot of 1970s thoughtful pop musicians in the 1980s - lacking relevence, their songwriting declined into dance-able but essentially vacuous tunes. Elton John, David Bowie...

It happens to all of us and yet it's always a surprise - it's poignant to see a great thing decline, whatever you think about Skynyrd.

• Members
That's true, as well. It's a different time, and their peak is long over with, even if everybody was still around.

My mistake on Powell. I didn't think he was on Pronounced, for some reason. Maybe it's some of that early demo stuff on the box set and whatnot that he wasn't on, that made me think that. I'd call him original, in that case, too, though.

It's not even the "few original members" thing that bugs me, though. I can't quite put my finger on it. Hell, the Allman Bros. are still constantly evolving, musically, and personell wise, and it's good with Derek and Warren. I think it's because they're letting it flow, instead of trying to recreate the past, though. With Skynyrd, they seem more like they're covering their "own" material.

I don't blame them for playing music, even together (well, in as much as they are...it'd be great if Ed King and Artimus Pyle were playing with them...anybody know what the story is on those guys?) There's just something about the way they've gone about it, at least from the few things I've seen and heard. It's almost like they're playing into the stereotypes, or something. I can't imagine RVZ ever having written a song like "Red, White, and Blue", in terms of the message, or even more importantly, the insight and overall quality of the lyrics. His thoughts ran a little deeper than that, imo.

I definitely agree about them covering their own material- that's why I wouldn't bother to see them, although I'm sure I would still enjoy hearing Rossington play. Apparently both King and Pyle had a falling out w/ Rossington years ago which is why they're no longer around. Thought they sounded so much better w/ King during the Rock and Roll HOF induction vs. w/ the Outlaws guy (name just slipped my mind- Dewey??). And yeah, that Red White and Blue song is flat out embarrassing. Fwiw, I like what the Allmans have done since Dickey's departure but I'm not a huge Haynes fan- if Dickey was able to sober himself up, I'd rather see him up there w/ Derek.

• Members

I definitely see what you're talking about, though. I think it's sort of the same thing that happened to a lot of 1970s thoughtful pop musicians in the 1980s - lacking relevence, their songwriting declined into dance-able but essentially vacuous tunes. Elton John, David Bowie...

It happens to all of us and yet it's always a surprise - it's poignant to see a great thing decline, whatever you think about Skynyrd.

Yep. The Brothers went through that too, during their Arista records period, before the second breakup. They got back into their element post-'89, though, in a big way.

• Members
Hughie Thomasson (though I'm pretty sure that's misspelled) is the Outlaws/Skynyrd guitarist you're talking about, I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Rossington play, as he wrote some great songs and has a cool style, but he was by far the worst guitarist in that band, imo (as compared to Ed King, Allen Collins, and especially Steve Gaines). I shouldn't say "worst", as he's a good player, but he wasn't quite on the level of those guys, I don't think.

I like Warren. I did see them a couple of times whenever it was Dickey/Derek. The first time was cool. The second time was in May of 2000. Two days before Dickey's last show with the ABB, in fact. He was pretty obviously {censored}ed up or something, that night.

He had words with Derek on stage, then Derek went over by Gregg's organ, where he pretty much stayed for the rest of the night. Dickey was playing pretty sloppy, and sounded drunk when he talked between songs and sang, too. It was pretty sad.

I'd love to see him get his {censored} together and get back in the band. When he's on, he's incredible. I went home that night convinced that they were going to break up, and it was probably for the best. Sure enough, they fired Dickey within a month or two of that.

Much of a fan as I am, I can't go along with the people that think they were being assholes by firing him. Duane's original
thing
, if you will, his whole philosophy, was music above rock stardom, or ego. The music got a lot better with Warren and Derek than it was during the last days with Dickey, for sure.

I vaguely remember something about the Rossington/King falling out, now. Had something to do with the "Sweet Home Alabama" songwriting credits, iirc.

Yeah, Hughie not Dewey LOL. Passed away recently I believe :( I had heard things had been deteriorating for a while w/ Dickey and I don't blame the rest of the band one bit for firing him- it's next to impossible to deal rationally w/ a person in that state. Too bad though, Dickey was capable of some great {censored} and brought a whole other dimension to the band which is now gone, although his influence is still present in the songwriting. As far as Rossington's abilities, he was certainly the least technically profficient of all the Skynyrd guitarists, but his style always fit in perfectly w/ the other players- like Paul Kossoff or Leslie West, his less is more style went a long way. Vibrato wise he's always been up there w/ the best of the best...

• Members
Yeah, Hughie not Dewey LOL. Passed away recently I believe
:(
I had heard things had been deteriorating for a while w/ Dickey and I don't blame the rest of the band one bit for firing him- it's next to impossible to deal rationally w/ a person in that state. Too bad though, Dickey was capable of some great {censored} and brought a whole other dimension to the band which is now gone, although his influence is still present in the songwriting. As far as Rossington's abilities, he was certainly the least technically profficient of all the Skynyrd guitarists, but his style always fit in perfectly w/ the other players- like Paul Kossoff or Leslie West, his less is more style went a long way. Vibrato wise he's always been up there w/ the best of the best...

Yeah, Rossington's got a great vibe and playing personality. That's why I hesitated to say "worst", because I surely don't want to imply that he's bad. Most of the time, 3 guitar players will sound like absolute mush, but those guys knew how to do it, and Rossington was a part of every combination.

• Members

Thanks guys for bringing it back to music and gear.

I think there is another issue as well, no matter if it is the original band or not. And that is age. You can say whatever you want, when getting older your focus changes. I am quite sure that seeing any band that was around in the 70 will not be the same today. But it could still be great to see them. I have seen Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott. It's not Lizzy in any way, but still great to see those old guys play the songs. And I have seen Deep Purple, in this case the original line up, but 15 years too late. Blackmore was pissed for losing a soccer game earlier that day, and left stage after about 30 minutes and didn't get back on. And in my oppinion, Morse can play like a god, it will still never be Purple to me.

• Members
Which slanted, revisionist historian do you recommend to try to paint the south in the most heroic light possible despite the fact that the primary right they were interested in preserving (hand in hand with their economic viability and their general culture) was the right to own slaves?

First off ... this isn't a Southern vs. Northern thing ... I've lived as many years in the north as the south (I was also married to a black woman, so I'm not a redneck revisionist :D ). And 'heroic', they were not. They were a bunch of rich, corrupt white men making a living off the sweat of other men in bondage. However ... only four states even mentioned the right to own slaves as one of MANY causes in their declarations of succession. As has been mentioned already, the basic issue was states rights. At the time of succession Delaware and Maryland were also slave states whose ecomony was just as dependant on unpaid labor as any south of Virginia, but they didn't secede. IIRC from reading on the subject, their state representatives stated at the time that they would "abide by federal madate". The issue was primarily states rights. The Civil War was no more started because a bunch of rich feudal lords in the South wanted to own slaves than it was fought by the by the Federalists to end slavery. The state reps voted for secession due to states rights issues. And the Federalists fought to preserve the union. Saying it was over slavery is a gross oversimplification.

About Hatchet amps ... I haven't seen them since the Southern Rock reunion tours in the 90s so I'm not surprised they changed equipment. At the time I remember seeing two stacks of Musician 4x4 cabs under Heritage combos, all with, I believe, Scorpion speakers (the speaker frame gives it away). I couldn't see the other guitarist's stuff so I dunno what he was playing.

About the Skynyrd amps in the 70s ... I got it mixed up, it was actually Black Widow speakers (Peavey's first guitar speaker model, made by Eminence, iirc), not Scorpions (which came later). The Black Widow speakers can be determined due to the cone being very noticeable thru the grill, almost like a JBL (you can see this on the cover of One More From The Road, iirc). I have a British guitar mag here somewhere in which Gary R. talks about using the same Mace heads and Black Widow cabs since the 70s, getting the speakers reconed every year and the heads rebuilt, etc. And the phaser and trem effects all came from early Peavey amps, not effects boxes, at least not on the first three albums.

About Skynyrd in general, I played their stuff so much as a teen in local dives that I got sick of it and refused to play it for years. But how any guitarist can listen to their arrangements and guitar work and dismiss them is beyond me. They were an awesome trio of players (Gary, Allen, and Ed/Steve). I can't stomach the stuff, and only play it now because that's the only way to work the local circuit ... but I know good playing when I hear it. Relearning the leads to Sweet Home Alabama, Saturday Night Special, and Needle and the Spoon and others after all these years has been a real eye-opener.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As a (relatively) old blues geezer, I was 14 when I saw Skynrd on their 1977 UK tour, shortly before the tragic air accident. Having stolen the show at Knebworth and with the punk revolution storming the bastions of American corp rock and British metal, their impact was amazing when few US bands (Eagles, Osmonds, Blondie, the Cars) were thriving in Britain. Listening to old live albums gives some measure of how tight they were live and few in Blighty had seen anyone play two and a half hours plus. Albert and Freddie King (hallowed names in the UK) had both given favourable comments and LS were seen as worthy successors to, say, the Yardbirds. Sadly the air accident ended all that, but LS paved the way for ZZ Top, the Fabulous Thunderbirds and SRV. By the way, I recall (dimly) LS using Fender and Peavey amps on stage. A wonderful memory for my dotage and one with which I will no doubt bore my grandchildren mightily.

• Members
As a (relatively) old blues geezer, I was 14 when I saw Skynrd on their 1977 UK tour, shortly before the tragic air accident. Having stolen the show at Knebworth and with the punk revolution storming the bastions of American corp rock and British metal, their impact was amazing when few US bands (Eagles, Osmonds, Blondie, the Cars) were thriving in Britain. Listening to old live albums gives some measure of how tight they were live and few in Blighty had seen
anyone
play two and a half hours plus. Albert and Freddie King (hallowed names in the UK) had both given favourable comments and LS were seen as worthy successors to, say, the Yardbirds. Sadly the air accident ended all that, but LS paved the way for ZZ Top, the Fabulous Thunderbirds and SRV. By the way, I recall (dimly) LS using Fender and Peavey amps on stage. A wonderful memory for my dotage and one with which I will no doubt bore my grandchildren mightily.

Good stuff and welcome to the boards :wave:

• Members
As a (relatively) old blues geezer, I was 14 when I saw Skynrd on their 1977 UK tour, shortly before the tragic air accident. Having stolen the show at Knebworth and with the punk revolution storming the bastions of American corp rock and British metal, their impact was amazing when few US bands (Eagles, Osmonds, Blondie, the Cars) were thriving in Britain. Listening to old live albums gives some measure of how tight they were live and few in Blighty had seen
anyone
play two and a half hours plus. Albert and Freddie King (hallowed names in the UK) had both given favourable comments and LS were seen as worthy successors to, say, the Yardbirds. Sadly the air accident ended all that, but LS paved the way for ZZ Top, the Fabulous Thunderbirds and SRV. By the way, I recall (dimly) LS using Fender and Peavey amps on stage. A wonderful memory for my dotage and one with which I will no doubt bore my grandchildren mightily.

Awesome!:thu:

ZZ Top was around before Skynyrd, though.

• Members
Awesome!
:thu:

ZZ Top was around before Skynyrd, though.

Both started about the same time. ZZ Top had a label deal earlier than LS. Skynyrd had a couple of offers but Ronnie vetoed those deals because the labels wanted them to be another Allman Bros and Ronnie did not want that.

• Members

Maybe because they wave the confederate flag at all of their shows.

That's a hate symbol used by the Klan.

Give me a {censored}ing break. You got it backwards. So if the KKK adopted Hannah Montana as their symbol, She would be evil?

The flag was a symbol of the confederacy, which also happened to condone slavery. However, that does not mean the flag STANDS for slavery and racism.

Should we diss the american flag because of atrocities committed by our government? No. We should diss the government.

• Members

And all I want is to learn more about what equipment Lynyrd Skynyrd used....

+1,000,000

What the hell are wrong with these people????

The guy wants to know about Skynyrd's sound and they're talking about the klan and nazis!!!????!

These people are judgemental tards who just want to point their finger at someone they feel better than. There's plenty of injustice going back to the first caveman that hit another caveman over the head with a rock.

Romans enslaved Germans.

Egyptians and Babylonians enslaved Jews.

Turks enslaved Slavs.

Americans, French, British, Dutch, Arabs & Africans enslaved Africans.

While the Union was fighting the slave states, they were murdering Indians in the west.

I could go on all night.....

Everybody has murdered everybody and probably will continue to. Shut the {censored} up about nazis and the confederate flag and say something about Skynyrd's sound that makes you sound intelligent.

• Members

About the Skynyrd amps in the 70s ... I got it mixed up, it was actually Black Widow speakers (Peavey's first guitar speaker model, made by Eminence, iirc), not Scorpions (which came later). The Black Widow speakers can be determined due to the cone being very noticeable thru the grill, almost like a JBL (you can see this on the cover of One More From The Road, iirc). I have a British guitar mag here somewhere in which Gary R. talks about using the same Mace heads and Black Widow cabs since the 70s, getting the speakers reconed every year and the heads rebuilt, etc. And the phaser and trem effects all came from early Peavey amps, not effects boxes, at least not on the first three albums.

No, now you have it backwards, Scorpions came BEFORE Black Widows.

• Members

+1,000,000

What the hell are wrong with these people????

The guy wants to know about Skynyrd's sound and they're talking about the klan and nazis!!!????!

These people are judgemental tards who just want to point their finger at someone they feel better than. There's plenty of injustice going back to the first caveman that hit another caveman over the head with a rock.

Romans enslaved Germans.

Egyptians and Babylonians enslaved Jews.

Turks enslaved Slavs.

Americans, French, British, Dutch, Arabs & Africans enslaved Africans.

While the Union was fighting the slave states, they were murdering Indians in the west.

I could go on all night.....

Everybody has murdered everybody and probably will continue to. Shut the {censored} up about nazis and the confederate flag and say something about Skynyrd's sound that makes you sound intelligent.

The main difference is that there aren't a bunch of idiots glorifying any of that.

Archived