Anyone knows what gear Lynyrd Skynyrd played?

CaptHowdy

• Members
And Strat
:)

Yep, like in this picture (actually, I just looked closer, and this is a Firebird...but I'm leaving it). There's another interesting piece of equipment in this picture, too.;)

AllenCollins.jpg

I've never noticed him with a strat, actually. Every picture I've ever seen has been with an Explorer or Firebird, pretty much. Ed King played a Strat, and Steve Gaines did, sometimes.:idk:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yep, like in this picture (actually, I just looked closer, and this is a Firebird...but I'm leaving it). There's another interesting piece of equipment in this picture, too.
;)

AllenCollins.jpg

I've never noticed him with a strat, actually. Every picture I've ever seen has been with an Explorer or Firebird, pretty much. Ed King played a Strat, and Steve Gaines did, sometimes.
:idk:

Here ya' go- you can also see him playing one in Freebird The Movie.

glowallen.jpg

• Members
Here ya' go- you can also see him playing one in Freebird The Movie.

glowallen.jpg

d'oh! I saw that headstock when I was googling for pictures of him, ran across the one with the Marshall (which I was looking for earlier today), and forgot all about that one. I have Freebird The Movie, but I've not watched in in a while. They were pretty damn incredible on there. They should have just left well enough alone, after the crash, imo.

• Members
Yep, like in this picture (actually, I just looked closer, and this is a Firebird...but I'm leaving it).
There's another interesting piece of equipment in this picture, too.
;)

AllenCollins.jpg

A Marshall with nothing plugged into it?

• Members

The phasers and tremelos used on Skynyrd albums are all found on stock Peavey tube amps in the 70s, as well as the auto-mix control that is a cool effect. They used Marshalls and Peavey Classics (the first 50-watt versions, Maces, Duces, and later on ... Heritages (as did Molly Hatchet), with Peavey Scorpion speakers in all the cabs, some Celestions, too. On the road they used Peavey exclusively, and still do, even though Fenders and Marshalls are sometimes seen in photos that include the backline amps from so-and-so production company. Post-Ed King they used very few Marshalls even in the studio (Ed was a Marshall fan and always bristled at the suggestion that Skynyrd were a Southern Rock band, LOL!)

Gary Rossington still uses the Mace heads and Scorpion-loaded cabs he got from Hartley in the 70s. So do the guys from .38 Special (his Mace chassis are loaded in a rack system) and Molly Hatchet (Heritage combos on top of Musician 4x12 cabs).

And those who think the civil war was fought over slavery ... read a book or two. :freak:

• Members
The phasers and tremelos used on Skynyrd albums are all found on stock Peavey tube amps in the 70s, as well as the auto-mix control that is a cool effect. They used Marshalls and Peavey Classics (the first 50-watt versions, Maces, Duces, and later on ... Heritages (as did Molly Hatchet), with Peavey Scorpion speakers in all the cabs, some Celestions, too. On the road they used Peavey exclusively, and still do, even though Fenders and Marshalls are sometimes seen in photos that include the backline amps from so-and-so production company. Post-Ed King they used very few Marshalls even in the studio (Ed was a Marshall fan and always bristled at the suggestion that Skynyrd were a Southern Rock band, LOL!)

Gary Rossington still uses the Mace heads and Scorpion-loaded cabs he got from Hartley in the 70s. So do the guys from .38 Special (his Mace chassis are loaded in a rack system) and Molly Hatchet (Heritage combos on top of Musician 4x12 cabs).

And those who think the civil war was fought over slavery ... read a book or two.
:freak:

Thanks for the info.

Which slanted, revisionist historian do you recommend to try to paint the south in the most heroic light possible despite the fact that the primary right they were interested in preserving (hand in hand with their economic viability and their general culture) was the right to own slaves?

• Members

i really don't care that much but i do want to clear up a little bit just because i worked for molly hatchet guitar teching in the winter of 06-07

molly hatchet uses nothing but 5150s. i don't know if they have gotten anything new but when i was working for them we carried 6 or 7 5150 heads and anywhere from 8 - 12 4x12 cabs to every show. none of the cabs were dummies. they all had speakers just in case one didn't work, although only a few would be plugged in at any given time.

• Members
Thanks for the info.

Which slanted, revisionist historian do you recommend to try to paint the south in the most heroic light possible despite the fact that the primary right they were interested in preserving (hand in hand with their economic viability and their general culture) was the right to own slaves?

:lol:

• Members
You can try {censored}ting in your speaker cab... that would probably help get the LS sound...
:idk:

:thu:

Well, not even my daughter, aged 5, would think of that. You decide whether that's a compliment or not.

Thanks to those guys actually answering my question, I've enjoyed the reading.

• Members
Well, not even my daughter, aged 5, would think of that. You decide whether that's a compliment or not.

Well, you are the one who is trying to emulate a sound that I would consider to be done by such an act, so decide if that is a compliment or not. :wave:

• Members

They used Peavey cause they were given to them along with $$$$$ to use them - Peavey at the time was a suck brand and they were trying to gain a foothold as Marshall was still King - they still suck as far as I'm concerned.

This is complete BS. They used the Peaveys because they were louder, and back then full PA support was not available - the onstage stacks were actually what you heard at a concert, they were not just for looks. The original Peavey Mace combo with two Black Widow 12's will send a full Marshall stack home with it's tail between it's legs.

They did use other amps in the studio, I've read elsewhere that the Orange Squeezer was used on Sweet Home Alabama and other songs, and of course you can hear wah and tremolo on some tracks. I'm not sure about the phaser, but I do remember playing through a Peavey Mace and it's built-in phaser did not sound like the one used on Call Me The Breeze. Back when they reunited for the first time in the late 80's, there was an article in GP about it. All of their old Peavey gear had been in storage for many years, and they were all refurbished for the tour. The white tolex was sort of a trademark for them.

What I recall about the Mace amps is, they used the combos along with 4 x 12 extension cabs. Their tech cut out some of the back, they preferred the semi-open back sound. I think they were loaded with JBL's or Altecs, but I'm not sure about that. I do know that the first Mace amps had a 160w tube power amp section, and a solid state preamp. Later they released an all tube version, but the LS guys preferred the original. This is the tone that you hear on the live recordings.

• Members
Well, you are the one who is trying to emulate a sound that I would consider to be done by such an act, so decide if that is a compliment or not.
:wave:

I'm not trying to emulate anything, I'm interested in learning.

Senior? Wow....

• Members
They should have just left well enough alone, after the crash, imo.

Well, that was all those guys knew so it must have been very difficult. Actually, it was at least 10 years after the crash that they got back together- I guess it's petty hard to stay away when the music is still in great demand. Was really heartbreaking to see Collins roll across the stage in his wheelchair during that first reunion tour...

• Members

Well, that was all those guys knew so it must have been very difficult. Actually, it was at least 10 years after the crash that they got back together- I guess it's petty hard to stay away when the music is still in great demand. Was really heartbreaking to see Collins roll across the stage in his wheelchair during that first reunion tour...

I didn't say they should quit playing music. Even the reunion tribute tour was understandable. Most of what they've done has just been cashing in on the name, though. What original members are left, anyway? Rossington? Who else?

• Members

I didn't say they should quit playing music. Even the reunion tribute tour was understandable. Most of what they've done has just been cashing in on the name, though. What original members are left, anyway? Rossington? Who else?

BFD!

What are they supposed to do,

open a {censored}ing BBQ joint?

They're musicians and that's what most do in their later years,

play their music/instruments and hopefully make a buck

after all the early yrs. of hard work and little pay.

We're not talking John Cage here or something,

it's friggin pop music.

And shame on the goofballs for bringing the Civil War into a gear thread.

:blah::bor::blah::bor:

• Members
BFD!

What are they supposed to do,

open a {censored}ing BBQ joint?

They're musicians and that's what most do in their later years,

play their music/instruments and hopefully make a buck

after all the early yrs. of hard work and little pay.

We're not talking John Cage here or something,

it's friggin pop music.

And shame on the goofballs for bringing the Civil War into a gear thread.

:blah::bor::blah::bor:

I guess I've got to type that first sentence again;:idk:

I didn't say they should quit playing music.

Only one of them was even there for the "early yrs. of hard work and little pay", I'm pretty sure. Besides, is there some law that the only band they can play in is "Skynyrd"? If so, they're out of luck. There hasn't really been any such thing in over 30 years.

• Members

Yeah I don't really care for any of the post Ronnie/Steve material either, but I suppose they do it because they still like playing and of course the $$. When they first reunited they had Billy Powell, Rossington, Artimus Pyle, and Leon Wilkeson. The only original members now are Rossington and Powell (and I guess you could kind of count Ricky Medlocke, but he was the drummer originally, not a guitarist). I don't listen to country in general, but it seems as though there are a lot of current country artists that have been hugely influenced by Skynyrd- I suppose this gives them some justification for still hanging around...

• Members

Yeah I don't really care for any of the post Ronnie/Steve material either, but I suppose they do it because they still like playing and of course the $$. When they first reunited they had Billy Powell, Rossington, Artimus Pyle, and Leon Wilkeson. The only original members now are Rossington and Powell (and I guess you could kind of count Ricky Medlocke, but he was the drummer originally, not a guitarist). I don't listen to country in general, but it seems as though there are a lot of current country artists that have been hugely influenced by Skynyrd- I suppose this gives them some justification for still hanging around...

They're not really "hanging around", though. I don't think Powell is technically original, but close enough to call him that, anyway. When they had at least a few original (or at least pre-'77) members of the band, it was understandable. At this point, it's just pathetic, though.

I guess they have to make a living, somehow. So {censored}ing what? So does everybody else. Rossington can call whatever random group of musicians he wants to "Lynyrd Skynyrd", I guess. They're trashing the hell out of the legacy of the real thing, though.

Archived