Anyone knows what gear Lynyrd Skynyrd played?

CaptHowdy

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, back to LS - there was a really detailed article on the recording of "Sweet Home Alabama" in the Classic Tracks column in the January 08 issue of Sound On Sound. You can read the first part of the article via that link, but you'll need to be a subscriber or will have to pay to read all of it though. But as a subscriber, I have to say I think it's a very well done magazine, and the article should be interesting for Skynyrd fans. It is definitely recording related in nature, but they also go into the instruments that were used and who played what, etc.

• Members

Okay, back to LS - there was a really detailed article on the recording of "Sweet Home Alabama" in the
You can read the first part of the article via that link, but you'll need to be a subscriber or will have to pay to read all of it though. But as a subscriber, I have to say I think it's a very well done magazine, and the article should be interesting for Skynyrd fans. It is definitely recording related in nature, but they also go into the instruments that were used and who played what, etc.

Good old Phil steers back on track. Thats a great article by the way. Also discusses how it was recorded as well. Very simple set ups and lots of skill from constant touring. Good read!

• Members

hindsight is 20/20. they fought to protect their way of life. it was about state's rights more than slavery. people just love to bring that up. i refuse to let any dumbass KKK guys give that flag a bad name

States rights to _________?

(Hint: the answer is "own slaves," jackass)

I like that the first answer was "LP into Marshall," the "rock standard" as drilled into minds by advertising (granted there were notable bands who pioneered the LP->Marshall mode of thinking, but even they have been somewhat distorted in years since - from Jimmy Page to Slash, some of your favorite songs have been recorded with a Strat or a Tele that never made it out on tour).

I ESPECIALLY love that Skynard used Peavey, a company who essentially gets no respect from most amp snobs because of a mottled history and a commitment to keeping prices lower than the competition.

• Members
States rights to _________?

(Hint: the answer is "own slaves," jackass)

I like that the first answer was "LP into Marshall," the "rock standard" as drilled into minds by advertising (granted there were notable bands who pioneered the LP->Marshall mode of thinking, but even they have been somewhat distorted in years since - from Jimmy Page to Slash, some of your favorite songs have been recorded with a Strat or a Tele that never made it out on tour).

I ESPECIALLY love that Skynard used Peavey, a company who essentially gets no respect from most amp snobs because of a mottled history and a commitment to keeping prices lower than the competition.

They used Marshalls. They used Peaveys too, but I don't think anybody's claiming that they didn't use Marshalls. It's "Skynyrd", btw.

But yeah, I think we all know specifically which "right" the confederacy was fighting for.:lol:

• Members

Sorry for spelling their screwy spelling incorrectly. Which Marshalls did they use, I wonder? And who was their amp tech? Everyone around that time period was hotrodding them, and they've certainly got a highly electrified tone, so I'm curious from whence it came.

• Members

Sorry for spelling their screwy spelling incorrectly. Which Marshalls did they use, I wonder? And who was their amp tech? Everyone around that time period was hotrodding them, and they've certainly got a highly electrified tone, so I'm curious from whence it came.

I don't know of many people "hotrodding" them in the early 70's, but I'm sure some people might have. Either way, I'd say just 50 and/or 100 watt superleads. There weren't a whole lot of different ones, at the time. They probably weren't "hot rodded", just cranked up.

They used Peaveys, too, and are associated with them, mostly because of the last tour or two, when Peavey supplied the backline (I'm pretty sure). At any rate, a lot of pictures were took durning that tour, and they used some early, too. I've been looking for a picture, but I can't find any early ones that show the amps, very well (outside of an Ampeg Leon Wilkinson was playing through in one of the shots).

• Members

Plenty of folks were hotrodding them. There have been tricks to get more gain out of Marshalls since the first 50W heads were around. Of course, a lot of that was a side effect of efforts to get more volume, I guess...

• Members

Skynyrd's "Call me the breeze" has a pretty strong modulation effect on the intro. I'm guessing it's a Phase 90, but since that's been drilled into my head by advertising, I'll bet it was some kind of Peavey multi effect rack unit prototype. :p:thu:

ttfex_pix.jpg

• Members
Skynyrd's "Call me the breeze" has a pretty strong modulation effect on the intro. I'm guessing it's a Phase 90, but since that's been drilled into my head by advertising, I'll bet it was some kind of Peavey multi effect rack unit prototype.
:p:thu:

ttfex_pix.jpg

Some of those old Peaveys had built in phasers, too...could have been one of those.:idk:

• Members

hmm... and the Peavey Mace has a built-in phaser... I wonder...

The Mace wasn't the only one to have the phaser. The old Peavey Classics (NOT the tweed ones that came out in the early 90's...) had the phaser built in, too. They had the solid state preamp, and tube power section, backward from what "hybrids" later became (the old Music Mans were like that, too).

I'm not sure of any besides those two...I didn't even realize the Mace had it, until your post. I was thinking about a friend of mine's old Classic that he used to have when I mentioned that.

• Members
I've associate Allen Collins with a Firebird. He played a three pickup one on "Freebird" when I saw them back in '78

'78?:confused:

He usually played an Explorer, but he did play a Firebird, sometimes. The image that always pops into my mind of Allen is him jumping 5 feet up in the air with that Explorer, on the Freebird movie.

• Members
Jesus Christ, I was 17 in '78. I'm 47 but I'm not dead. The band I'm in covers We are Scientists, Kings of Leon, The Wombats and Franz Ferdinand. Age is an attititude.
:wave:

Haha, wasn't referring to your age- referencing the fact that the plane went down in '77, so if you saw them in '78...unless you saw them post Ronnie, Steve and Cassie :wave:

• Members
I don't think this song was written by a band fueled by racial bigotry:

The Ballad of Curtis Loew Lyrics

Artist(Band):Lynyrd Skynyrd Review

Allen Collins and Ronnie VanZant

Well I used to wake the mornin

Archived