Anyone knows what gear Lynyrd Skynyrd played?

CaptHowdy

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I sure hope they are not that stupid, turning against the people who gave them the blues.

Is the confederate flag not in use anymore?

I think Zakk Wylde uses that flag as well?

It's a bit of a controversy here in the U.S. since the Confederate flag (also known as the rebel flag) was flown as the symbol of the South during the Civil War where the Southern states fought to secede from the U.S. because they wanted to keep slavery going.

Now many Southern people just consider it a symbol of southern pride but a lot of others see it as a symbol of opression against blacks.

• Members

Fuck skynyrd and southern rock and country rock and shit

Southern man

better keep your head

Don't forget

what your good book said

Southern change

gonna come at last

Now your crosses

are burning fast

Southern man

you're joking right? :blah::cop::rolleyes:

there is tremolo on the rhthym guitar on "I Need You" (my favorite Skynyrd song). they really don't use that many effects, and when they do, it's pretty subtle.

Gary Rossington played a Les Paul. He used an SG on the slide work for Freebird though

Allen Collins played an Explorer (the entire Freebird solo is played by him)

Steve Gaines, the rhthym guitarist, played a strat and a les paul

• Members

I know it's history and can understand that it's a difficult symbol to use. But from what I understand, being a souterner is alot more than just that part of the history (which I think inspired to The Bands "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"?

We have pretty much the same situations with the Germans in Europe, are they allowed to be proud to be Germans? Many people felt uncomfortable during the soccer wc when it was played in Germany, and their flag were everywhere.

• Members

you're joking right?
:blah::cop::rolleyes:

there is tremolo on the rhthym guitar on "I Need You" (my favorite Skynyrd song). they really don't use that many effects, and when they do, it's pretty subtle.

Gary Rossington played a Les Paul. He used an SG on the slide work for Freebird though

Allen Collins played an Explorer (the entire Freebird solo is played by him)

Steve Gaines, the rhthym guitarist, played a strat and a les paul

Thanks! I have seen live clips, and the Strat guy (Gaines?) is a great solo player. He impressed me the most (besides the girls with the percussion) ;-)

I must say "Mr Banker" is my favourite, and Free Bird. Learn to play Free Bird, and you know all you need to play rock n roll. :-)

• Members

I know it's history and can understand that it's a difficult symbol to use. But from what I understand, being a souterner is alot more than just that part of the history (which I think inspired to The Bands "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"?

We have pretty much the same situations with the Germans in Europe, are they allowed to be proud to be Germans? Many people felt uncomfortable during the soccer wc when it was played in Germany, and their flag were everywhere.

The Nazis flew the swastika and the iron cross.

There is nothing hateful about

175px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png

• Members

That's unfortunate.

I'm proud to be a German-American, but my family arrived here long before the controversies of the 20th century.

Your comments are very insightful. :thu:

• Members

Then what did he die for? I've got relatives who fought for the south too. They fought to defend a way of life that was primitive and barbaric.

hindsight is 20/20. they fought to protect their way of life. it was about state's rights more than slavery. people just love to bring that up. i refuse to let any dumbass KKK guys give that flag a bad name

• Members

It's a bit of a controversy here in the U.S. since the Confederate flag (also known as the rebel flag) was flown as the symbol of the South during the Civil War where the Southern states fought to secede from the U.S. because they wanted to keep slavery going.

Now many Southern people just consider it a symbol of southern pride but a lot of others see it as a symbol of opression against blacks.

Actually, several of the Northen states wanted to keep the slavery as well, Abe Lincon just wanted to abolish it in the southern states where it didn't work (the slaves up north wasn't mistreated the same way the southern slaves was). And most of the war was more of a struggle about where the american power centre would be located, back then most of the political power was located to the northen states.

And I feel like such a history geek knowing that about american history without being american myself. But I know more about WWII than most europeans too ;)

• Members

hindsight is 20/20. they fought to protect their way of life. it was about state's rights more than slavery. people just love to bring that up. i refuse to let any dumbass KKK guys give that flag a bad name

It was about state's rights and economic conditions, but the MAIN issue was slavery. That was the way of life.

The Missouri compromise, Harper's Ferry, the underground railway, these all led to a huge schism between the north and the south. Lincoln winning the election was the straw that broke the camels back.

And it isn't a matter of hindsight being 20/20. Before the war broke out people knew that slavery was fiercely dividing the nation. It isn't like people didn't know that their elite were in horrible violation of human rights.

Saying hindsight is 20/20 on the american civil war is like saying people didn't know what the nazis were doing to the jews until after the war.

• Members

Actually, several of the Northen states wanted to keep the slavery as well, Abe Lincon just wanted to abolish it in the southern states where it didn't work (the slaves up north wasn't mistreated the same way the southern slaves was). And most of the war was more of a struggle about where the american power centre would be located, back then most of the political power was located to the northen states.

And I feel like such a history geek knowing that about american history without being american myself. But I know more about WWII than most europeans too
;)

Ok, while at it, I remember standing at The Lincoln Monument (is that what it's called) in Washington trying to understand all those words about people being of equal worth, while they at the same time killed or put all the Indians in reservates and while the black people didn't get to vote until 40 years ago.

But still, all I want is to learn more about what equipment Lynyrd Skynyrd used....

• Members

Ok, while at it, I remember standing at The Lincoln Monument (is that what it's called) in Washington trying to understand all those words about people being of equal worth, while they at the same time killed or put all the Indians in reservates and while the black people didn't get to vote until 40 years ago.

But still, all I want is to learn more about what equipment Lynyrd Skynyrd used....

Ok, I tried to defend your thread and simple wish to understand Skynyrd gear - but you're on your own now. :wave:

• Members

Ok, I tried to defend your thread and simple wish to understand Skynyrd gear - but you're on your own now. :wave:

Thanks man, I appreciate it, but it just doesn't seem to work anylonger. :-(

But I do know more now than I did some hours ago. Which is good.

• Members

Skynyrd used Peavey amps live, toward the end (One More From the Road was from 1976, the year before it was over). The random bunch of guys calling themselves "Lynyrd Skynyrd" use Peaveys now, as they have an endorsement (I'm pretty sure the real band had an endorsement deal, too).

As for this "states rights" bullshit...No matter how many times people drag that bullshit out trying to rationalize the Confederacy, it's still just as ridiculous as the first.

It was about state's rights, alright. Specifically, the state's right to SLAVERY. You know why I think that? Because that's what they said they were seceeding over.:thu:

Fuck the confederacy.

Archived