difference between MIDI keyboard and just a keyboard?

Li10

• Members

I want a keyboard where I can program different sounds to keys. I suppose this is a MIDI keyboard controller? Can someone help me out and tell me about MIDI? What software do you need for it? MIDI sequencing software? Help!! It's confusing...

• Members

That was actually quite funny.

But errr... I think what I MEANT to ask (of course...) was what is each type of keyboard used for?

just another stupid question but I dunno...

Well, a MIDI controller is for controlling MIDI devices !!! :)

Indeed. If you have ONLY one instrument -no computer, no modules- then you will not use MIDI at all.

* An acoustic Piano is a keyboard instrument. It has only one sound. Has no MIDI by nature.

* An electric piano is a keyboard. It does only one kind of sound. A Classic Rhodes has no MIDI either.

* A Minimoog has a keyboard to play it, but it is a synthesizer. A Synth is an electronic device which creates sound by manipulating electric / electronic signals. You can create sound from scratch btweaking its controls. Many analog / old / vintage synths have NO MIDI given they were created before MIDI was created, back in 1983.

* All modern synths have MIDI ports, so you can control other devices with its keyboard / interface AND/OR be controlled remotely.

* There are MIDI CONTROLLERS which are keyboards with NO sounds on them at all. They only control MIDI devices such other synths, modules and computers.

• Members

WOO now that's what I mean! The MIDI controller controls a computer program, like Reason.... but what type of program is that? I mean.... what kind of programs do you use for like, live performance with a MIDI controller? I'm probably asking the wrong question but... oh well.

thanks for the help so far.

and by keyboard, I meant those plastic electronic keyboards.... more expensive versions of the crappy keyboards schools buy.

• Members

A midi keyboard is a keyboard that's self-midied because of an internal sound generator....And a keyboard is a keyboard,but can be a midi keyboard as well, i think....WTH is a workstation?

MIDI = Musical Instrument Digital Interface

You can use MIDI to control one sound source from a different one - like, I have a Kurzweil MicroPiano module but it has no keys, it is just a module. I control it thru MIDI by hooking up the MIDI Out of my Ensoniq KS32 to the MIDI In of the MicroPiano. The actual keys I play on the KS32 determine the notes that come out, using the sounds of the MicroPiano.

MIDI is also used by software sequencers to trigger sounds from outboard sources (ie, sounds found not-in-the-computer-itself).

Any keyboard you buy nowadays has MIDI. Some have NO internal sounds - those are "MIDI Controllers," which are used to control other sound sources, via MIDI, in the same way my KS32 controls the MicroPiano. The KS32, however, has its own internal sounds as well.

A "workstation" combines a keyboard w/internal sounds, with an onboard sequencer/digital audio recording, as well as sampling capabilities. The Big Three workstations are: Yamaha Motif series (most current model is the Motif XS), Korg Triton series (most current model is the Triton Extreme) and the Roland Fantom series (most current model is the Roland Fantom X). :thu:

• Members

Hi: i like your answere, but can a kyb that's self-midied w/o midi in/out jacks, still be considered a midi keyboard?...& what is an arranger keyboard? ...cheer:

No such thing as "self-MIDIed w/o MIDI in/out jacks..." - if it has MIDI, it has In/Out jacks.

Arranger keyboards are used by guys who play live - cruise ships, dinner music, club/lounge acts, etc... the arranger lets them have rhythm/backing tracks built-in.

• Members

You should go to a keyboard store, like Guitar Center or Sam Ash and look at the keyboards. You can hook up one keyboard to another, with a MIDI cable. This will allow you to play both boards from one.

Of course, you can daisy chain MIDI cables and hook up 12 synths, if you want. A lot of guys around here do that. :)

As far as a computer connection, you can buy a MIDI box, like an M-Audio MIDI Sport, and hook it up to your computer, via USB connection. Then, you plug a MIDI cable from your keyboard to that box and you can play sounds that are on the computer, if you prefer that route.

If you don't like programs, then look around the keyboard store. Most keyboards (synths) have their own sounds, so you can get by, without hooking up a MIDI cable.

Archived