which distortion/OD pedal to get....

Testify527

• Members

Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer or some Proco RAT

what do you think?

maybe something completely different than either of these?

i want something thats versatile but still sounds great on most of its settings

budget wise im looking at anything under $100

i play prog/metal/blues-stoner rock

all feedback is appreciated!

thanks people!

• Members

The Jackhammer is a really good option--for some reason it's frowned on or ignored sometimes, but it has alot of options--OD/ dist, gain/ volume, bass/ treble, contoured mids. My only complaints with it is that the "dist" setting isn't very good sounding (overdrive is very good), and that it lacks just a wee bit in the mids--for better or worse, it doesn't have the mid hump grit that a Tube Screamer specializes in. The contour mid knob is cool, but I don't really use it.

What's great about it is that you have a bass knob on it (somewhat rare on overdrives), and that it cleans up really well AND has a really high, compressed gain sound. It's supposed to mimic the JCM800 and I believe the JCM2000's sounds.

I have one of the earlier versions with a smaller stomp switch, and it has LED's in the clipping circuit. I'm not sure if the newer ones have the LED's, but I love the sound of LED's, as they generally make pedal overdrive sound more full and have more volume (the Jackhammer is a very LOUD pedal if you want to use it as a clean booster and slam your preamp tubes).

Plus, it's a great deal with alot of options. I'd buy one and keep it around--while it's not the best overdrive pedal that I own, I definetely have never seen reason to sell it even if it's not always on my pedalboard.

• Members

My only complaints with it is that the "dist" setting isn't very good sounding (overdrive is very good), and that it lacks just a wee bit in the mids--for better or worse, it doesn't have the mid hump grit that a Tube Screamer specializes in. The contour mid knob is cool, but I don't really use it.

thats what id heard, but im fine leaving it in OD mode full time if its that good.

does it stack very well with other pedals?

or would you not know?

• Members

anyone else have any thoughts one these or other good,versatile OD pedals?
still under $100 as far as budget

ive also been thinking about the marshall guv'nor, underrated sorta like the jackhammer from what ive heard. to me its seems like a slighty less gain version of the jackhammer, but with only an OD channel, which is apparently the only good one on the jackhammer, plus the guvnor has a deep control in the EQ controls, which intrests me, cuz im generally a pretty warm player.

anyone have a guv'nor?

Archived