Garage Band is pure win...

Loobster

• Members

garageband is great. my old band used to use it all the time to write. i'm using protools le these days and i must say that i find it easier to get my ideas out with it, although i think part of that is because now when i go back to garageband i tend to get frustrated at not being able to edit the way that i want.

still everynow and then i'll use it for a quick and dirty scratchpad and it works great

also the synths and such in it are pretty much ported straight from logic pro so they sound really good. the guitar amp models aren't so bad either. i always found myself using the "english channel" preset and being quite happy with it.

• Members

garageband is great. my old band used to use it all the time to write. i'm using protools le these days and i must say that i find it easier to get my ideas out with it, although i think part of that is because now when i go back to garageband i tend to get frustrated at not being able to edit the way that i want.

still everynow and then i'll use it for a quick and dirty scratchpad and it works great

also the synths and such in it are pretty much ported straight from logic pro so they sound really good. the guitar amp models aren't so bad either. i always found myself using the "english channel" preset and being quite happy with it.

Yup, with tweaking I find I can get the synths and (to a lesser extent) the guitars sounding pretty much how I want, with a fair bit of tweaking that is.

• Members

What interfaces are you all using? I have GB on my wifes G4 iBook, but have not yet gotten a mic or interface. . .

I have Audition, Reaper & Audacity on my PC but never use them as anything more than basic capture of tracks quickly bores me and I give up. Maybe Garage Band is more my speed.

• Members
GB can be fun to use, but feels like im editing with a fisher price toy at times

{censored}! That sounds like exactly what I need :(

I'd love to use GarageBand, unfortunately that means paying out the nose for a Mac, which doesn't fit my regular computing needs.

• Members

lack of features can be a benefit because you don't have as many post-production options. if you can't edit / filter you just re-record the track which results in better results faster.

i was super prolific on my tascam 4-track and it all sounds great in retrospect.

• Members
{censored}! That sounds like exactly what I need
:(

I'd love to use GarageBand, unfortunately that means paying out the nose for a Mac, which doesn't fit my regular computing needs.

You get what you paid for with Apple. They don't sell cheap {censored}...its all high end computers and they are for the most part priced very reasonably. I think Apple's are worth the money and people never look at the intangibles of owning them(generally less headaches as far as overall reliability, runs Windows and OSX, resale values are great....try reselling a PC once you buy it).

Theres always the "geniuses" out there that are going to try to break the secret info about about Apple... "What all those Apple customers don't realize is that their computers are using the same parts as the PCs! Those idiots are just paying much more for it! hehehehe..." Nice, but in reality Apple's are not overpriced, they just don't sell cheap computers. Compare them with PC of the same specs and you'll find them as cheap or cheaper in many cases.

Personally I run a Mac Mini and a home built PC.

• Members

I use Garageband. It's great for me as i stare at a computer screen all day so when i get home i want the minimum of fuss when recording, i don't want to spend a great deal of time messing with it, just get on with recording and Garageband is perfect for getting ideas down quickly without the need for a degree in studio engineering.

I use it with a Line 6 Toneport GX (again a very simple gizmo) and get my sounds using a mixture of real pedals, effects/amp sims in the Gearbox software and some effects in Garageband.

I'll probably upgrade to something a bit more versatile one day but for now Garageband is great for me.

• Members

Garageband kept me entertained for 2 years - then I got Logic Studio and never looked back.

Im messing around with Logic now. Seems to be more intuitive than Garageband for the most part. Feels like im using a "real" editing program....im coming from a video editing background an its much more in touch with that "pro" feel when editing songs with the interface.

lack of features can be a benefit because you don't have as many post-production options. if you can't edit / filter you just re-record the track which results in better results faster.

i was super prolific on my tascam 4-track and it all sounds great in retrospect.

That is the amazing thing with technology. You mention tascam 4 track and it immediately got me thinking back 10 years ago to my high school days where thats what all home studios where running(Well there a few lucky guys with the 8 track tascam) And now something like GB is a standard program and its pretty amazing whats standard and free now when comparing it with what was available then.

• Members

sat through a 2 hour overview at the local mac dealer and i still don't know where to start :(

doesn't help that they were using all kinds of midi bundles in class that don't come standard in garage band. i would love to find a decent tutorial that goes through step by step so i can actually put something together.

• Members

I have been using garage band for the last few year and prefer it over pro tools because when I am writing I want quick and easy. I liked pro tools for all the post production stuff and the quality I get from the end but for getting my ideas down to work with, garage band has no equal.

For an interface I just plug my behringer mixer in to the sound card and put a 57 up to my blackheart in my walk in closet. Seems to work out pretty good.

• Members
sat through a 2 hour overview at the local mac dealer and i still don't know where to start
:(

doesn't help that they were using all kinds of midi bundles in class that don't come standard in garage band. i would love to find a decent tutorial that goes through step by step so i can actually put something together.

You don't really need tutorials, if you're familiar with Macs and you've used some kind of recording equipment before then it's fairly simple to get into. I've used Macs since the early 90s but only started with Garageband maybe a year & a half ago when i got my new laptop and i just dived straight in. If you think of it like using an old 4-track machine at first then it's easy, the rest you figure out as you go along :)

• Members

..for making mechanical math rock sounding stuff with dance beats and clean guitars. Oh, hours of fun.

Oh yeah, and here's the 'studio'. I'm such a geek. Amazing what you can do at 1am though.

2353444942_c573a1c7f5.jpg

Cool. Believe it or not I haven't touched Garage Band on my iMac yet, since I had it around '06!!

I know that if I fool around with it right now. I'll be gone! :lol:

Anyways, can anyone please post a link on how can I start recording with my iMac? I would obviously need mikes, but what else? Please I'm a noob about these things. :confused:

• Members
..for making mechanical math rock sounding stuff with dance beats and clean guitars. Oh, hours of fun.

Oh yeah, and here's the 'studio'. I'm such a geek. Amazing what you can do at 1am though.

2353444942_c573a1c7f5.jpg

having a real band is the win, having a laptop for a band is 100% pure fail.

Archived