Kyuss effects pedals

• Members

Hi I'm trying to get a rig that that tries to achieve the sound that Josh Homme got in his Kyuss years. I understand that he used a Ovation Ultra GP. I'm really unclear as to what type of effects he was using during the kyuss years, or what type i should get to resemble his sound. Thanks in advance for the help.

• Members

oh yes the Homme rig...

I've spent many early morning hours looking into this and this is what I've come up with.

He used an Ampeg V4. Awesome little versatile amp, not necessary to his sound but it helps.

As you mentioned, the Ovation GP which produces a unique sound, very unique. If you don't feel like dropping the money on a used one...if you can find one, Eastwood makes a copy of it. He bought it for 199 dollars cause it was the only guitar in the Idaho store that could keep drop C tuning.

And effects. As I'm sure you know, homme changes his pedal board with every album it seems. He'll change his modulation from a Delay to a phase to even a Rotovibe, but for his dirt my belief is that he used a Boss DS-1 pumped right into a cranked V4 with tons upon tons of Bass.

The reality is, I can get lots of Kyuss sounding stuff out of my pedals alone. Its an sound that attainable with a variety of gear, you just have to sit and tweek.

• Members

he used a lot of different stuff back then. ive seen a kyuss show pic w/ him rocking an SG custom into a marshall halfstack. enough to make most of these obscure gear seekers cringe, huh?
:)

I've seen him use those too but I've always based my findings off of Welcome to Sky Valley and Circus as those are the peak of his tones ever...even better than queens.

• Members

what a charming project.

you'll never get there.

the "Kyuss sound" isn't a product of the guitar rig - it's the sum of every part being played by all the members together.

the amps were CRANKED

the drums were BIG and hit HARD

the bass rig was colossal - mostly 18" speakers

the guitar rig was a combination of tube, SS and 12" and 15" speakers

i saw this on their Circus tour.

you will basically waste a lot of time and money putting together something that won't be a match.

• Members

I've got a couple of live Kyuss tapes and his tone doesn't sound anything like it does on the record. That's mostly due to the fact that he used 2 or even 3 amps mic'd at the same time to get that sound. Also, Scott Reeder's bass had a lot to do with that tone too (or whatever bass player was playing with them at the moment).

As far as I know though, he adopted pretty much the same rig during Blues For The Red Sun that he used at the beginning of Queens: a tri amp setup with one facing forward and the other two facing each other, kinda like an open square, and a Boss SD-1 pushing it all. The amps where Ampeg V4 heads usually.

• Members

I've got a couple of live Kyuss tapes and his tone doesn't sound anything like it does on the record. That's mostly due to the fact that he used 2 or even 3 amps mic'd at the same time to get that sound. Also, Scott Reeder's bass had a lot to do with that tone too (or whatever bass player was playing with them at the moment).

As far as I know though, he adopted pretty much the same rig during Blues For The Red Sun that he used at the beginning of Queens: a tri amp setup with one facing forward and the other two facing each other, kinda like an open square, and a Boss SD-1 pushing it all. The amps where Ampeg V4 heads usually.

I was quite surprised when Josh showed up in our bar with a couple of Tubeworks Mosfet heads driving a couple of 2x15" cabs. He still had the Ovation set on the neck PUp though.

• Members

As a big Kyuss fan ("Welcome..." is one of the best albums ever made), my band mate has tried to copy Josh pretty hard, and the Visual Sound H20 achieves a better mimicking of the chorus sound than I've ever heard.

• Members

Yeah, as others mentioned, Homme used the neck pickup most (all?) of the time. Big Kyuss fan here, they really honed the Sabbath sound into something very unique. Not to be underestimated is Joe Barresi's production---he had a big hand in that sound as engineer; less so than Chris Goss.

Hahaa, I can't find it right now, but there's a really early Kyuss video of them (pre-Wretch) at something like a high school, where Homme is playing a BC Rich Warlock. I kid you not! If anyone finds it, post it here for a good chuckle.

Archived