This forum contradicts itself

• Members

Now, I've only been here for a few months but I've already started to notice these attitudes around here which you could say is a bit paradoxical.

We hate {censored}ty indie bands that all user telecasters, but then the next seconds telecasters are lovely guitars with mojo & twang and also the most beautiful guitar after jazzmasters and semi-hollows with gold hardware (unless they are Bigsby-teles in which case they are #1).

So it's a great guitar, why wouldn't those bands use it?

Mids are wonderful and cutting them is {censored}ing pathetic, the only ones who do it are stupid br00tal metal-bands, but we also hate how the Tubescreamer has got mids and of course we love the scooped Big Muff.

So when are mids good and when are they bad?

High-gain is for idiots who think that more gain equals more metal. On the other hand, we do love fuzz pedals, especially if they have lots of gain on tap.

Soooo?

True bypass is a stupid marketing thing which in reality just causes signal loss. However, we are still drooling all over the place when Korg release a true bypass tuner.

Which other paradoxes can you find? These aren't 100% serious but I still think they are quite true.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well there's that biggest contradiction where everybody buys pedals for their music but then everybody says they write their music on an acoustic (ok I generalised a bit)

p.s. Teles do seem to be a fashion thing for a lot of bands. But I bought mine purely for the awesome tone this guy in a band was getting.

• Members

+1 on the tubescreamer/mids thing - all these people that don't even have one, smackin' the "mid hump" - tubescreamers sound good! The mids sound good, they make it so people can hear your guitar!

amen to a functional reason for midz

• Members
Now, I've only been here for a few months but I've already started to notice these attitudes around here which you could say is a bit paradoxical.

We hate {censored}ty indie bands that all user telecasters, but then the next seconds telecasters are lovely guitars with mojo & twang and also the most beautiful guitar after jazzmasters and semi-hollows with gold hardware (unless they are Bigsby-teles in which case they are #1).

So it's a great guitar, why wouldn't those bands use it?

Mids are wonderful and cutting them is {censored}ing pathetic, the only ones who do it are stupid br00tal metal-bands, but we also hate how the Tubescreamer has got mids and of course we love the scooped Big Muff.

So when are mids good and when are they bad?High-gain is for idiots who think that more gain equals more metal. On the other hand, we do love fuzz pedals, especially if they have lots of gain on tap.

Soooo?

True bypass is a stupid marketing thing which in reality just causes signal loss. However, we are still drooling all over the place when Korg release a true bypass tuner.

Which other paradoxes can you find? These aren't 100% serious but I still think they are quite true.

oooo, I'll play....

ok, number one, tele's are cool. I wouldn't hate anyone for using one, not even {censored}ty indie bands.

gold hardware is awful, there is no excuse for it, nickel is lovely...followed by chrome.

Mids are wonderful and cutting them is {censored}ing pathetic, but after spending 10 minuites getting them just right for my clean tone I don't want to hit my overdrive and have even more mids!

I don't care what bypass anything has as long as it sounds good.

nothing wrong with high gain at all, it can be very effective...Nirvana's 'Territorial pissings' springs to mind.

my paradox is whatever dirt pedal I buy I sit for an hour tweeking it with my amp so it sounds almost exactly like the last one I had. :lol: (and yes, I have stopped buying them!!)

• Members

I have a Tele (American Deluxe - very nice). I don't use it for playing 'indie'.
I like lots of bands labelled as 'indie'. I also like some pop, dance, country, whatever.
I like lots of 'Br00tal' metal bands and scooped mids. (Metal made me want to pick up guitar in the first place in 87 and at the time Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth were the bees knees to me).
I like Mids.
I like high gain distortion and also gritty fizzy Fuzz pedals and i like nice jangly clean sounds.

I'm a just a big walking contradiction :thu:

• Members

I still think it's great that nobody here would even consider ueing a modelling amp or a tranny amp, but everyone uses transistor based pedals to get 'the most tubelike tones ever'.

I use distortion pedals, but not for the most tubelike tone ever. I just use the ones I like because they sound good to me. If I was really concerned with getting tube tone, I'd have a fancy channel switching tube amp.

• Members

Another one: Newbies come in here asking obviously newb questions like what their first OD should be, and rather than suggest a good cheap starter OD, someone suggests some rare boutique expensive thing that yeah, would sound awesome, but when I was starting out I thought peavey amp dirt with flange was awesome. As if I'd appreciate a Klon starting out. . .

• Members
Another one: Newbies come in here asking obviously newb questions like what their first OD should be, and rather than suggest a good cheap starter OD, someone suggests some rare boutique expensive thing that yeah, would sound awesome, but when I was starting out I thought peavey amp dirt with flange was awesome. As if I'd appreciate a Klon starting out. . .

that always gets me annoyed I must admit....also when an obviously younger person says 'I have $50 to spend' and people recommend stuff that's twice as expensive when the kid has probably been saving his pocket money for months just to get the $50. :rolleyes:

....and the {censored}ing show-offs piss me off too......:freak:

actually I {censored}ing hate this forum!!! :lol:

• Members

Not so much on the topic of contradictions, but one thing that really pisses me off is the people who only ever recommend the products that they themselves own. There's one guy here (naming no names *cough* Cra******mmy) who'll happily recommend a Crunch Box to someone looking for auto wah.

• Members

When people say they wouldn't call a certain pedal digital because it sounds more "analog". The ironic thing is the pedal they refer to is actually digital... So its like some people here understand analog to be good and digital to be bad and don't really understand the difference in technology.

Just to clear it up for those that don't know... Your digital pedal is likely to be sampling an analog signal at regular intervals and representing the amplitude at each sample point in binary. The processing is then done on this digital signal instead of the analog and then converted back to analog for the pedals output. So analog is a continuous signal whereas digital is discrete.

• Members
Not so much on the topic of contradictions, but one thing that really pisses me off is the people who only ever recommend the products that they themselves own. There's one guy here (naming no names *cough* Cra******mmy) who'll happily recommend a Crunch Box to someone looking for auto wah.

:lol:

I think this is now the official HATE thread.

"which is better, rat or marshall govnor?"

you don't want either, buy a crunchbox.

"but I do want one of these, they have them both used in my local shop for $50"

Save some more and buy a crunchbox

"but I don't want a crunchbox"

yes you do, you just don't know it yet.

• Members

hah, i noticed that too...

Archived