Will vacuuming too close to my effects pedals harm them in anyway?

do art

• Members
From the electro-magnet etc.?

Yes, Of course it depends on the voltage and the type of bag you insert into the vacum cylinder itself. 3 inches or more away from the pedal is considered safe. Less than that, Buy a new pedal it will blow up in yer eye.:freak:

• Members

I once had a PC on a carpeted floor. Through hoovering, I managed to kill the graphics card with static electricity.

I'm actually fairly certain I killed my Skreddy Screwdriver with static this way. I sent it to Marc for repairs. Within a week of him receiving it, it was back with me. Top marks to him for customer service. His email back to me was cool and said that the original mosfet input was a bit sensitive to static. he's since redesigned the input to be less sensitive but that mine was the only failure outside of a couple in Singapore who were in static-friendly conditions. So the Singapore dudes killed their Screwdrivers with climate conditions more than likely: I killed mine with a vacuum cleaner. Doh!

Good on ya Marc for the free repair though!

Moral of story: pedalboard pedalboard pedalboard. I'm now so cautious that I lift everything over the floor when cleaning. I hate carpets. Give me wood floors any day.

• Members

I once had a PC on a carpeted floor. Through hoovering, I managed to kill the graphics card with static electricity.

I'm actually fairly certain I killed my Skreddy Screwdriver with static this way. I sent it to Marc for repairs. Within a week of him receiving it, it was back with me. Top marks to him for customer service. His email back to me was cool and said that the original mosfet input was a bit sensitive to static. he's since redesigned the input to be less sensitive but that mine was the only failure outside of a couple in Singapore who were in static-friendly conditions. So the Singapore dudes killed their Screwdrivers with climate conditions more than likely: I killed mine with a vacuum cleaner. Doh!

Good on ya Marc for the free repair though!

Moral of story: pedalboard pedalboard pedalboard. I'm now so cautious that I lift everything over the floor when cleaning. I hate carpets. Give me wood floors any day.

Weird. Singapore is humid as hell.

Whereas Canadian winter makes everything staticky as {censored}.

• Members

The reason I asked is because it is said that electro-magnets can weaken a pickup's magnet(s). I wasn't sure if effects pedals could be harmed too.

Unless the pedal for some reason has a hard drive in it (300 hour loopers, anyone?), of if it has a sensitive mosfet stage in it like another poster said, you might have a bit of a problem, but otherwise no.

Pickups and pedals work on completely different terms using completely different systems. You'll be fine. Essentially the only thing that pedals and pickups have in common is that it's not good to set them on fire.

• Members

what disturbes me more than the Q in the OP is that a man would be vacuuming in teh first place!

So you think that vacuuming is womens work? I beg to differ, my Electrolux is a big, gray, heavy, noisy power tool. My wife never touches the thing.

Archived