OT: Is anyone else tightening their belts due to the economy?

• Members

I don't know how not buying a CD makes me less of a fan. I'd rather have a hard drive's worth of music instead of a small collection of CDs.

So let's do the math then. I'll assume that every CD in my library costs $13. I have 986 albums. That's $12,818. I could buy 32 Timefactors with that, or probably one car. It just ain't happening, cap'n. My music collection is ever-expanding, thanks to the internet. I couldn't do that if I bought all my CDs. No dice. I listen to more bands, more songs, more albums, more genres, go to more shows, and tell people about bands that they don't know more often all thanks to bittorrent.

Point is: bands make much more through shows and merch than through CD sales. I'm still just as much a fan as anyone else, I just don't think that I need to pour money into that to prove it.

I wasn't questioning your fan-ness, I was just sayin'. But I know what you mean about the huge amount of money, I've pondered it a lot myself. The thing that really pisses me off though is the TOTAL lack of support I see in some people in my area, especially for indie-ish artists like Buckethead. Your redeeming qualities are:

a)- going to shows/ buying merch

b)- being able to argue your point successfully

But I dunno, the thought of downloading just makes me feel guilty, even after that demonbaby article. My policies might change once I get an iPod, though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Careful, my bro got fined by the RIAA for illegally downloading

=

or

-Lawyer cost x length of defense suite -win/lose

=

lol

FYI:cop:

That's terrible. The RIAA is a bunch of {censored}ing criminals. Anyways, their lawsuits don't seem to be frequent, and I'm not going to let them stop me from downloading.

• Members

No, it's not at all. It's {censored}ing big-name label execs who aren't catching up with modern times AT ALL. $17 for a CD? {censored}. That. {censored}. How can they possibly expect me to pay for that? I have 12000 songs in my itunes, and I paid for maybe 10% of them. No way am I apologizing for that.

pbone's post goes two ways.

1. You are a {censored}tard for paying for 10% of your music. Period. Youre a {censored}tard anyways, but cmon. Download something. Listen. If it sucks, delete it. If its great, but it. If its borderline....fine. Keep that as your free {censored}.

2. "How can they possibly expect me to pay that?"

Stop spending your money on MOOGs.

Youre a {censored}ing dip{censored}.

• Members

I don't know how not buying a CD makes me less of a fan. I'd rather have a hard drive's worth of music instead of a small collection of CDs.

So let's do the math then. I'll assume that every CD in my library costs $13. I have 986 albums. That's $12,818. I could buy 32 Timefactors with that, or probably one car. It just ain't happening, cap'n. My music collection is ever-expanding, thanks to the internet. I couldn't do that if I bought all my CDs. No dice. I listen to more bands, more songs, more albums, more genres, go to more shows, and tell people about bands that they don't know more often all thanks to bittorrent.

Point is: bands make much more through shows and merch than through CD sales. I'm still just as much a fan as anyone else, I just don't think that I need to pour money into that to prove it.

While I PARTIALLY agree with your mentality, Id rather you be shot. With a rubber bullet. Just so it hurts. Every sentence of every one of your posts in this thread screams: "Im a douchebag that will NEVER make a dime off of my own creations, even though I play with $400 pedals, yet Im going to whine about not having money to buy a $15 CD".

Die.

BTW. Most of this hostility comes from the SPAM {censored} you pulled last week, and were already punished for.

• Members

Ah, yes, I see your point. I liked the level of detail and supporting evidence that you give to prove your thesis.

Eveidence? YOU ARE SELLING A {censored}ING MURF. WTB ANOTHER MOOG PEDAL.

My thesis? Wow. Is this the voice of your prepubescent pimples speaking? Or is it really you? Detail? No. Every single one of the members here can go back to last week and/or the week before and see that you are obviously an economic champion, because you can afford MOOGS.

YET

A $15 CD is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far out of your reach.

Give up. Your logic is absolutely asinine.

• Members

BTW. Most of this hostility comes from the SPAM {censored} you pulled last week, and were already punished for.

1. You are comparing apples and oranges. Effects pedals and CDs are two COMPLETELY different things.

2. We disagree on a moral issue. K.

3. If I didn't spend money on Moogs and whatnot (even though I've only kind of paid for 1, the other was a present), having more money in my pocket wouldn't mean that I would be more inclined to buying CDs.

4. No one is going to convince me of anything in this debate.

5. I make music, and I wouldn't give a {censored} if someone downloaded it off of bittorrent or what have you. I don't think anyone is going to disagree with the fact that the record industry needs to be reformed with the advent of the internet.

6. Punished? You mean that ban that I asked for? Okay.

7. Big text does not prove a point more.

8. Can I afford a $15 CD? Yeah, of course I can. Can I afford 986 of them? No.

9. Why should I be compelled to spend money on music when I can get it for free? I've listed the other, better ways of supporting bands.

10. Are you going to disagree with me when I say that because I download my music, that I'm able to listen to much, much, much, much, more of it? I'd say that listening to a certain band and spreading their name via word of mouth is much more useful and, ultimately, lucrative than just buying a CD.

• Members

1. You are comparing apples and oranges. Effects pedals and CDs are two COMPLETELY different things.

2. We disagree on a moral issue. K.

3. If I didn't spend money on Moogs and whatnot (even though I've only kind of paid for 1, the other was a present), having more money in my pocket wouldn't mean that I would be more inclined to buying CDs.

4. No one is going to convince me of anything in this debate.

5. I make music, and I wouldn't give a {censored} if someone downloaded it off of bittorrent or what have you. I don't think anyone is going to disagree with the fact that the record industry needs to be reformed with the advent of the internet.

6. Punished? You mean that ban that I asked for? Okay.

7. Big text does not prove a point more.

8. Can I afford a $15 CD? Yeah, of course I can. Can I afford 986 of them? No.

1. Im not sure what Im comparing. Mustve been the marijuana that I bought with my MOOG sale cash.

2. Moral? Nah. Downloading isnt immoral. Im arguing with you because you have a PIECE OF {censored} mentality. I download TONS of music.

3. Moogs. Yeah. yay. Umm. Do you have a band? Your answer will decide how I elaborate on #3.

4. I dont really give a {censored} what will convince your mother to go lesbo. Youve made enough of a fool of yourself, havent realised it, YET....keep on pushing. Persistence is a virtue? mehhhhhhhhhhhhh

5. This is the only one tha tI might partially agree with you on. The record industry would be much more effective if artists got a little more CHUNK, and their fans knew it.

6. I was not aware of that. I know that "fake" SPAM deals are {censored}ing ridiculous. Be a moron in a random thread, not the SPAM thread. People see a deal, and they get excited. Its part of the whol B/S/T thing here, at TGP, HM, SD, UG, GG, MBF, etc. Its like one of those fake lottery tickets. Its just plain cruel and uncalled for.

7. Big text is so that you can see it. Thats all.

8. Then you shouldnt have 986 albums. Local record stores and Amazon sell used CDs for a fraction of the original price. Its a much more affordable alternative to buying NEW discs.

9. Ill bet a million bucks that you are under the age of 23.

• Members
What kind of paysites were you using before? I can't think of a single thing you can't already get for free online, but of course there may be things out there that I'm not aware of.

what could it be? :confused:

• Members

3. Moogs. Yeah. yay. Umm. Do you have a band? Your answer will decide how I elaborate on #3.

5. This is the only one tha tI might partially agree with you on. The record industry would be much more effective if artists got a little more CHUNK, and their fans knew it.

8. Then you shouldnt have 986 albums. Local record stores and Amazon sell used CDs for a fraction of the original price. Its a much more affordable alternative to buying NEW discs.

9. Ill bet a million bucks that you are under the age of 23.

I'll just address about the ones that I actually can address.

3. Yeah, I have a few.

5. It needs to go farther than that, but yeah.

8. I shouldn't have the music that I have? That's a sound point to argue.

9. Ad hominem.

• Members

The real question here is how familiar are you with your 986 albums?

Very. Only a tiny fraction of my songs have a zero play count, and that's mostly because of something that happened in my iTunes.

• Members

I'll just address about the ones that I actually can address.

3. Yeah, I have a few.

5. It needs to go farther than that, but yeah.

8. I shouldn't have the music that I have? That's a sound point to argue.

9. Ad hominem.

8. Correct. Not because you arent paying for them (because Ive clearly admitted to doing the same), but because of you {censored} attitude.

9. So.....?

Archived