Boss SD-1 (MIJ surprise)

Hooch

• Members

Hey folks, usually I'm a lurker on here and have been for quite a while. I own some booteek effects and some non booteek stuff. I have built pedals such as phasers and a BSIAB.

So this past weekend I get a hankerin' to mod a pedal and go to e-bay and bid on the first sd-1 that is fixing to end. I get it for $32 including shipping. The pedal was described correctly and it has typical scratches and the foam is all removed from the bottom with velcro attached. It looks worn but well loved. I didn't care cause I was going to mod it anyway.

From the serial in the battery compartment I find its MIJ made in September 1984. This was a surprise and I don't know if its a "score" or not. What's this thing worth? It seems like MIJ is big with certain Boss pedals but tell me about this one. Yeah, it has the JRC 4558 chip.

• Members

Same chip.

I should have said "THE" chip referring to the 80's 4558 vs. newer 4558 mojo discussion one can find anywhere on the net these days. I have another 80's chip I was going to put in it and a Burr Brown chip to compare. I don't think will take the iron to this one.

• Members

Just to follow up. I will NOT take the iron to this one. I dig this little pedal. I compared it too my Menatone Fish Factory because it is a 4558 pedal too. It was surprisingly close to the Blue collar side of that pedal. It was not as open or transparent and a little harsher but it was in the same ballpark. The Menatone sounded more "full" and better to my ears but the Sd-1 held its own. Maybe say a SD-1 and a Bad Bob could be the poor man's Blue Collar and Red Snapper?

I did not hear the bleed through a lot of people claim to hear when this pedal is bypassed.

Overall I like it and plan on keeping it.

Archived