Anyone else think bloc party stinks?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess living in the American South, I'm sort of separated from all the undue hype you Brits give bands...and I enjoyed the first albums by both Bloc Party and the Arctic Monkeys quite a bit; even saw both bands live. BP's second effort were disappointing, sure, but what critically acclaimed new band doesn't somewhat dissapoint on their second album? That said, Silent Alarm is one of my favorite albums of the decade and I listen to it quite regularly. Also, where do you guys live that you hear Bloc Party on the radio in America? I've only heard them on a few Nissan commercials I think?

• Members

I quite like them. They are all really talented musicians. The drummer is amazing and I really like Russell's guitar work and his interesting use of effects.

Silent Alarm is a great album. It really is. The best songs are the slower songs with amazing sonic landscapes. The sound in for example "This Modern Love" is just wonderful and dreamy. Their faster songs are good as well but not as amazing as the slow songs.

Their new CD was alright. There are a few great songs like for example Sunday. It's definitely not as good as the first one though. Apparently, their next CD is going to be more like Silent Alarm which is great.

Those of you who are fans should check out their earlier EP's. The Japanese "Little Thoughts"-EP is...well it's certainly not great but it's good. Most of the time, the songs start out great but then they blow it in the second half.

Take Tulips for example. The verse is nice and dreamy. The lead work that comes in at 1:20 is my one of my favorite parts by Russell, but then they blow it with the breakdown part.

Eyu3GGKHfJM

By the way, here's a good performance of Sunday. Kele's voice isn't too great but the overall sound is great.

aFv5HjTD3Ts

• Members
Radiohead.
:rawk:

I think thats the album they were first critically acclaimed for, no? :poke:

That said, I like Pablo Honey a good bit. And not saying the second albums are a let down, just not "up to expectations," especially given the fickleness and influence of today's music press/the internets that overhype everyone. :freak:

• Members

I had heard some of their songs and it never did anything for me. At the urging of a really good friend I bought Silent Alarm awhile back. Its no where near as good as my friend made it out to be. I can listen to it but it doesnt stand out in any way and it gets boring fast. I listened to it a few times to be fair but I still don't really like it. Its not something I hate and I can sit through it but its also not something I would choose to listen too.

• Members
I don't think your band and bloc party are too far apart...both pop-indie-rock.

You can't be thinking your band is saving rock n roll can you? It's not.

haha

you're a massive {censored} with waffles for ears :love:

• Members

I like a couple songs on silent alarm, and hunting for witches was the only song I could sit through on the new album.

I dunno they've got some really catchy hooks, but I can see why people give them {censored}. Plus it seems like the singer needs to deflate that ego a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived