Anyone else think bloc party stinks?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and this will enhance a forum on guitar effects how? you're just looking for someone to pat you on the back and say that yes it can be cool to think this way. if your opinion is already solidified, i fail to see what you or anybody else is getting out of this, other than the peer validation that most of us are done striving for by high school.

The same could be said for you.

• Members

what are you talking about? their drummer is great.

how can you destroy your own style?

i didn't say they destroyed their style. i said their style destroys them.

and yeah, the drummer is probably a great drummer. but his beats are annoying, at least to some people.

• Members

My friend is trying to tell me they are geniuses.

If you like them, please don't post, only post if you think they are lame, crappy, boring, repetitive, crappy, unoriginal, unlistenable, or any other negative adjective.

That first album was {censored}ing awesome. I'll still never forget the first time I heard it too. Some kid threw it on at a party when I was in college and everyone just lost it. Until that point, I'd never seen anyone dance to music that wasn't hip hop, and this was just crazy. It definitely opened my eyes to some different music...

I could not have been more disappointed with their second album though...

• Members

Really liked the first album, but got sick of it really quickly.

hate the second album, they are just trying to hard to be what they aren't. I always sort of feel they are trying to copy radiohead too, by going electronic and basically copying exactly what they say by saying "we'd rather make an album all on computer than on a guitar".

I think they're good musicians but its all the same..bleh

• Members

I've heard a little bit of them, on the radio and like the last minute of their set at Coachella a few years back - when Tool played Coachella.

That one song on the radio is pretty good - not sure what its called..."I will this I will that I will something..."

I can't say I hate them, that song is catchy and good but something tells me they aren't my flavor - I didn't really like them at Coachella, though I only saw a little of the set.

• Members
yep, those guitar parts are great. drummer is kicking major ass!!

bloc party is great to hear when you havent heard them in a while.

i really do have to be in the mood i guess.

Yeah, I gave Silent Alarm to a girlfriend who moved to Florida a couple years ago and I haven't seen it since. You'd think I'd have enough sense to copy it first :rolleyes:

Man, even this song kicked ass when it was fresh. I mean, look at them play it at Coachella back in the day.

[YOUTUBE]uPD-uzmXLEA&hl=en[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

They don't really do anything for me but they also don't exactly offend me in any way.

I do believe that if you were to make a list of {censored}ty popular bands that get mainstream play on the radio/tv, Bloc Party would be way the {censored} down there near the bottom.

I mean, this could be a thread about a million other bands that stink, like Nickelback or Vampire Weekend, why pick on Bloc Party?

• Members

Not really a fan of that type of music... and I can't stand bands like Vampire Weekend, and I don't think bands like this are saving rock and roll.

I don't think your band and bloc party are too far apart...both pop-indie-rock.

You can't be thinking your band is saving rock n roll can you? It's not.

• Members

No I do not think my band is saving rock n roll... not in the least bit. I don't think anybody is saving rock n roll, as rock n roll is not dying and is in no need of being saved. Which is why it annoys me when bands are heralded as the saviors of rock n roll. I also don't think my band sounds anything at all like bloc party...

• Members
No I do not think my band is saving rock n roll... not in the least bit. I don't think
anybody
is saving rock n roll, as rock n roll is not dying and is in no need of being saved. Which is why it annoys me when bands are heralded as the saviors of rock n roll. I also don't think my band sounds anything at all like bloc party...

It sounds more pop than bloc party. I'm not a fan of bloc party per se, but I could see myself listening to them before your silly band :thu:

good tone though on your songs. Just too much pop influence for me. :cop:

• Members

That's all well and good, but I don't see the need for calling my band silly. And I do understand how most, on this forum at least, wouldn't really dig my band's music... as this forum and it's members are not really the target audience for our brand of pop-rock. I in no way compared my band to Bloc Party in the first place, so I don't really understand why it came up.

Bloc Party is not my taste in music, in fact my band is not really the type of music I listen to... it is what happens when the 5 guys in my band come together and make noises though, so it is what it is.

• Members

Agreed.

Not to mention their rythm section is SOLID.

Drummer is great.

ya know...i got to agree here! all the band members of bloc party have got an EXCELLENT sense of timing! absolutely!

their drummer, the asian guy has got some great ideas! one of the more interesting drummers out there right now...IMO

• Members

I'm not a fan, but they are a good band....they were hyped beyond belief which didn't help. There are certainly far worse bands around and no I wouldn't say they 'stink' either...........there's nothing wrong with good guitar pop music IMO.

• Members

No I do not think my band is saving rock n roll... not in the least bit. I don't think
anybody
is saving rock n roll, as rock n roll is not dying and is in no need of being saved. Which is why it annoys me when bands are heralded as the saviors of rock n roll. I also don't think my band sounds anything at all like bloc party...

Everything mentioned here i agree with.

• Members

anybody

Hell no. Your band sounds nothing like Bloc Party. It sounds like perfect OC episode backing music to me.

Bloc Party have always made me somewhat sad. They've got some musical ability but it reflected greatly on the staid musical environment of the Uk over the last few years when the biggest talking point in the press was 'Wow, a black male singer who might be gay'. The first album isn't bad, the second is alright. Radiohead didn't get universal praise for the first album and so weren't saddled with unreal expectations for the second album. Bloc Party were saddled and couldn't ever really hope to match up to those press expectations. As is the case in the UK now, something average was hyped up and fell to earth pretty quickly.

Archived