So I have the Mothership prototype!!!

upsilonkng

• Members
The HOG is a totally different pedal from the Mothership.

It's like you're trying to compare a Martin acoustic with a Les Paul.

That means I'll end up getting both. My wallet is not happy. I am, though. Still want to hear some samples, since this is not the first time I've heard it beats the crap out of the HOG.

I imagined they'd be different, though.

• Members
My wallet is not happy....this is not the first time I've heard it beats the crap out of the HOG.

Dude, they're different pedals.

The HOG for example has two Freeze modes in which you play something, a chord comes out, and the chord will sustain forever until you do something else.

The Mothership can't do that. It does other things though that the HOG can't, like that ring modultor sound (no ring mod on the HOG). Also the Mothership does not appear to be designed to work well with chords.

The pedal that is closer to the Mothership than the HOG is the Moogerfooger Freqbox.

Which pedal you spend your money on depends on what is more important to you. Maybe you do have to save up for two or all three of the above pedals. :eek:

• Members

What I meant was as a guitar synth I think the mothership is better than the hog, after all the hog isn't really a guitar synth as it is some cool harmonies some very whammy sounding octaves and the amazing hold feature, which is my favorite thing on the hog. The freq box I've only tried but that seems pretty good and it has tons of filtering although it sounded a bit cheeseball like everything was techno 1994 but I don't own it so I never really tried to dial it in. I will get some mp3's in the next few days I promise.
ps the suboctave out is not next to the main out.
the magic in this box is the intelli ring mod w/ the vco at different octave intervals, it's usable yet for me unheard of.

• Members
What I meant was as a guitar synth I think the mothership is better than the hog

But again, we run into the problem that "a better guitar synth" means different things to different people. I got my HOG because I wanted to generate organ-like pads and play rhythm guitar at the same time - or make a pad, then play slide on top. I haven't used it much though on guitar, since I got my Roland VG-99, which plays in entirely different league.

The folks at the Moog forum got a nice little thread going, comparing the Freqbox and Mothership. There is some bias towards the Freqbox (duh!) but the Pigtronix guy (eeg) takes it with good humor and seems to be respected:

http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5026

• 2 months later...
  • Members

since this thread has returned I just want to add that it's still on my board and now w/ the Pigtronix asdr and my Robot Factory Pho-tron filter I am a fully functional modular synth... w/ a guitar strap.... thru a Hiwatt 1/2 stack. Loud, abrasive and sometimes kind of pretty sounding, not a single Mayer sound to be found.