NAD! (vintage fender content)

andrew_k

• Members

Oh man, this is going to be one hard afternoon at work -- next to me is a 1978 Vibro Champ that has just been dropped off by courier.

Looks sweeeeeeeet :love: :love: :love: Apparently the Vibro Champ is one of the few amps that didn't change between blackface and silverface, so no need to pay corksniffer prices for a blackface

I've already got a NOS 5751 to try in V1 and a friend is lending me a Weber ceramic 8S for a weekend of tonal exploration. {censored} yeah. Sweet fender tone at apartment & recording levels.

Pics in 4 hours :p

• Members

great amp. i've got a 69 vibro champ under my feet right now. serves many purposes. the silverface vibro champs actually DID change. but worry not, they changed for the better mostly. bigger output transformers in the silver era means bigger, sparklier tone. just make sure you snip the bleed cap out of there. those and the sloppy plastic wiring were the downsides to the silverfacers.

• Members

How I'm spending my evening:

vibrochamp1.jpg

(it's turned on, but the pilot light was D.O.A :( )

Carvin Fatboy or MIJ strat > my beefed up Lovepedal Eternity clone > Vibro Champ.

{censored} it sounds good. I already knew I love the tone of 6L6s running hot, but the 6V6 is all that and more, and at apartment-friendly volumes. I have a feeling this little guy is going to hold a place in my gear collection for a long time. :love:

• Members

Take the lamp off and jiggle the bulb.

Mine was DOA as well, did that and Pooofffff it came back on. (1977 Princeton by the way)

Looks sweet, Thats really clean lookin to!

i almost bought a vibro champ over my princeton. Thats a sweet little amp!

• Members

Mine was DOA as well, did that and Pooofffff it came back on. (1977 Princeton by the way)

BAM! After messing around testing the socket & bulb with a multimeter, it suddenly came on while I was playing! :idea: I would have loved to get a Princeton, but they very rarely come up in Aus. and when they do they're $$$ :( I bought this one without even seeing a photo, so I'm very happy with the condition. The old Oxford speaker doesn't sound half bad either, barely any flabbyness in the bass.

english_bob: haha, sorry dude. Don't worry, if you're vintage then so is my girl and I'm only a couple years behind. I labelled it vintage because it's not a reissue and 'round HCEF, pedals from the 80's get called vintage.

• Members

BAM! After messing around testing the socket & bulb with a multimeter, it suddenly came on while I was playing!
:idea:
I would have loved to get a Princeton, but they very rarely come up in Aus. and when they do they're $$$
:(
I bought this one without even seeing a photo, so I'm very happy with the condition. The old Oxford speaker doesn't sound half bad either, barely any flabbyness in the bass.

english_bob:
haha, sorry dude. Don't worry, if you're vintage then so is my girl and I'm only a couple years behind. I labelled it vintage because it's not a reissue and 'round HCEF, pedals from the 80's get called vintage.

Same with my princeton on the speaker. Though i'd really like to get a weber for better reliability. I don't play humbuckers so its not like its a problem, but when i use a dirt pedal that amp sure does get a beating!

• Members

english_bob:
haha, sorry dude. Don't worry, if you're vintage then so is my girl and I'm only a couple years behind. I labelled it vintage because it's not a reissue and 'round HCEF, pedals from the 80's get called vintage.

It's all good dude, I'm over it :D

Archived