Oh yes, there will be twin JOYSTICK GLITCHFEST of DOOOOOooooom

andrew_k

• Members

Ok, I've found some cool things in Op Shops before. I've found some cheap things in Op Shops before.

But never before have I found something so cool, for so cheap.

"PICS OR BAN!" Yes yes, I will succumb to the whim of the angry mob :poke:

May I present an immaculate example of early console gaming, purchased today for $4:

front.jpg

Yes, those joysticks are analog. They contain a 50k pot on one axis, and a 100k on the other.

That's pretty cool, but wait till you see its next trick:

controllers.jpg

Win. :love:

And there's a third piece of external control awesomeness included:

remote.jpg

That one contains a single 24mm pot and connects to the box via a 1/8" mono jack.

3 minutes and 17 seconds after the last pic was taken, it looked like this :lol:

gutted.jpg

Two pleasant surprises were found on the inside; firstly batteries have leaked through it and many of the capacitors have spewed their crusty contents over the PCB so the unit was already toast. No need to feel guilty (as if I would). Secondly, and most importantly, there are at least 20 Germanium diodes on the board, which I will use in various circuits that this box will eventually contain.

Here's where YOU come in!

I have some ideas, lots of ideas, but I want you crazy bastards to give me more.

Here are the main features I'm thinking so far:

• patch bay, for custom routing off all effects contained within

• 2 rotary knobs to select which parameters are controlled by one of the joysticks

• parallel effects with mixer at the end (Maybe. This could be more trouble than it's worth)

• feedback loop, because it's a simple no brainer on a noise box.

• PEEP-style opto-resitor + LED on a stick setup. Maybe a couple.

Here are the effects I've already built that will definitely be included:

• Bazz Fuss w/bias control

• Doctor Q (R.O.G's "Nurse Quacky" version)

• EHX Muff Fuzz

• Green Ringer

• Orange Squeezer

• SHO (I have two laying around, might stack them for super duper stylee)

Other circuits I'm considering:

• Big Muff style tone stack, with switchable mid cut

• High cut and Low cut filters

• Pulse Wave (Tim Escobedo design)

• Nyquist Aliaser

• buffers (to be optionally patched between circuits to prevent audio death)

• electra distortion or Doug Hammond's Hot Silicon

• EA Tremolo

• I have a Rocktek analog delay on it's way... if it sucks for guitar, it's going in this thing :idea: Delay would totally kick ass, but I'm not going to make one. If someone wants to dontate (or sell real cheap) a behringer analog delay for this project, you will be forever remembered as the most awesome sonofabitch that has ever graced these slimy halls. :thu:

What else could this psychotic beast contain?

When offering suggestions, please pay attention to these limitations!!!

• All circuits must be 9v, negative ground

• The smaller the parts count and physical size, the better.

• The fewer knobs, the better. (real estate is at a premium)

• the more {censored}ed up, the better. I think I've got fuzz just about covered

• I'm aiming to keep the total current draw under 200mA. Ideally, this thing should be able to run off a standard Boss power pack. I'm not going to let this limitation get in the way of true awesomeness, but that would be ideal

I can absolutely assure you this project will be completed, but I am NOT going to rush this thing.

Post suggestions........... NOW! :wave:

• Members

Dual Oscillator

Yay, a suggestion! :thu:

Tempting, but at the moment I'm sticking to effects rather than signal generators. I do have an Atari Punk Console equipped Pokemon that might be a good home for a dual oscillator though...

• Members

Close up pics of the PCB, please! :p

Can't tell, but I THINK I see the "GI" logo on one of those chips. Perchance a General Instruments sound chip??? Some wonderful possibilities there! Would make an excellent modulation source, but you might need to pair it up with a small microprocessor - maybe a PIC.

Also, I seriously doubt it has germanium diodes in it. That would be almost unheard of in a digital circuit of that era. More likely they are 1N914 or 1N4148, which are silicon switching diodes - very very common in digital electronics, often used as steering diodes when you have a lot of switches. They are in tiny glass barrels, so they do resemble germaniums.

• Members

Can't tell, but I
THINK
I see the "GI" logo on one of those chips. Perchance a General Instruments sound chip??? Some wonderful possibilities there! Would make an excellent modulation source, but you might need to pair it up with a small microprocessor - maybe a PIC.

chips.jpg

??? Anything useful? If so, please, point me in the right direction :thu: :thu: :thu:

Also, I seriously doubt it has germanium diodes in it. That would be almost unheard of in a digital circuit of that era. More likely they are 1N914 or 1N4148

Damn. I don't think they're either of those though, have a look at this pic:

diodes.jpg

On the left you can see a 1N914/1N4148 (well, at least the only package for those diodes that I'm familiar with) and the others, those fatter ones with the yellow band, they look more like the Ge's I pulled out of an old Toshiba RTR... Can you identify them?

• Members

The AY-3-8765 is a motorcycle game-on-chip.

The AY-3-8610 is a Supersport game-on-chip.

The AY-3-8500 is a Pong style (ball and paddle) game-on-chip.

All of the game-on-chip IC's have their own audio output. Not much programmability there.

I think the other two are National Semiconductor chips, probably mask ROM memories.

The diodes I'm not sure about, but most germaniums have whisker contacts. Those don't look like they do, but I could be mistaken. I'll take another look tomorrow when I'm a little closer to sober! :freak:

• Members

i've only a rudimentary knowledge of electronics.. but could you use the joysticks to control parameters like delay time, tremolo speed, chorus depth, etc? is this what you're asking? haha

Yeah, oldschool joysticks are one pot per axis, wired up as variable resistors. Super easy to re-use in effects.

Archived