Boss Hyper Metal HM-3 vs. Boss Heavy Metal HM-2

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-HM3-Hypermetal-Distortion-Pedal_W0QQitemZ110244342066QQihZ001QQcategoryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a little rare one they dont make anymore...

its an hm-3 but it doesnt really mean it is anything better or an upgrade from the hm-2.Having owned one (and i still do) it is a totally different sounding pedal from the hm-2 and it is very LOUD! you cant nail that killer mid-scoop tone that you get with the hm-2, for example if you tried to match settings with both pedals they would produce totally different sounds...I use the pedal more for recording rhythm guitars or i'll use it live if my rat is crapping out on me, with some tweakage you can get a good rat CRUNCH out of it, the key is in the level/volume knob more than anything which is sortof weird.

anyonelse one else come across this box besides me?

• Members

used an HM2 for 5 years, and an HM3 for 4 years.

I like them both. the HM3 is better with full chords, the HM2 has a bigger EQ sweep - you basically should buy according to whether you want a louder sound for rhythm guitar (HM3) or a more distinct lead sound with cutting EQ (HM2).

they both are improvements on the muff sound in smaller packages, and they LOVE other effects in line with them.

awesome pedals, but different applications for sure.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

HM3 definetly has more gain and they complement each other quite well being at oppisite ends of the poll IMO HM2 a nice bassy fuzz and HM3 a trebly but not harsh full on distortion, both quality pedals
:thu:

The HM-3 is not as fuzzy as the HM-2? I was hoping that the HM-3/early Big Muff comparisons that one HC reviewer made were somewhat accurate.

• Members

The HM-3 is not as fuzzy as the HM-2? I was hoping that the HM-3/early Big Muff comparisons that one HC reviewer made were somewhat accurate.

nowhere near muff territory and i've used Sovteks, Vintage and Reissues, maybe he meant HM2? but the HM3 is definetly in the distortion spectrum

• Members

nowhere near muff territory and i've used Sovteks, Vintage and Reissues, maybe he meant HM2? but the HM3 is definetly in the distortion spectrum

The review very well may have been placed in the wrong section ... who knows? I just read it again, and it seems someone named "HS" thought the HM-3 was similar to a '78 op-amp muff. Youtube demos seem to suggest otherwise, and I recall that a high school friend's HM-3 was early 90's doom/death metal incarnate. Either way, the HM-2 will continue to be my go-to fuzzstortion generator ... until I find another pedal with a similar amount of gain, fuzziness, and articulation with less low end flub.

• Members

Maybe the comparisons I've heard to a RAT would be more accurate, then?

The HM-2 can be set to have prominent mids like a Rat and has about as much gain as a Rat2 (IIRC), but I think that the HM-2 has far more loose and farty bass. It almost sounds like a hybird of a Rat and a Black Russian Big Muff (with my rig).

Archived