Teles: Please Learn Me

pbone

• Members

I'd have to put a few miles on it to see what I liked and didn't like about it, but I'm fairly confident that it'll sound great. But nice to know that the 2 position equals hum canceling, I use the neck position almost exclusively.

don't ignore the tele bridge position... many write it off because they don't realize the tone knob doesn't always have to be fully on.

i really think i could live with just a tele bridge pickup... the tone and volume knobs are incredibly responsive. in comparison, the neck pup almost feels too tame for anything but a smooth clean sound (which it does in spades).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

don't ignore the tele bridge position... many write it off because they don't realize the tone knob doesn't always have to be fully on.

i really think i could live with just a tele bridge pickup... the tone and volume knobs are incredibly responsive. in comparison, the neck pup almost feels too tame for anything but a smooth clean sound (which it does in spades).

My strat turned me on to the neck pickup. It's kind of weird though, the tone knob doesn't seem to do much from numbers 2-10, same with the volume. It's not an even spread throughout. I don't know if that's normal or not.

• Members
I got me one last Christmas, Tele Deluxe. Sounds more like an SG than a Telecaster to me. Amazing guitar, though... the necks on the RI models play like butter, perfect size.

TeleDeluxe.jpg

Where to get that pickguard?

• Members

Baja Tele.

Somebody mentioned earlier that they're too heavy...they must have got a lemon. Supposedly the Bajas vary drastically in body weight (and unfortunately, build quality. that's MIM for ya)

After my experience with my 'new' Tele Deluxe (it was in truth a B-Stock from *ahem* a large e-tailer :/), I will never buy another MIM sight unseen

• Members

eBay. They pop up every now and then in all different shapes and woods.

I'm in love. It might be my desktop background by nightfall. I have a walnut '72 RI. But that pickguard is fantastic.

• Members

haha why a 3 saddle bridge??

Supposedly there's something about the brass saddles that make a tele sound more like a tele. I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, but I plan on one day buying two teles with different bridges and finding out. :love:

• Members

But to the OP, I got a used MIA Tele for around $550 and it's the best guitar I've ever played. The neck couldn't be any more comfortable... it's substantial but it's not like a baseball bat. Your best bet is to go out and play a bunch of them (if you can find lefties) and see which one suits you best. It'll be worth it whatever you choose.

body.jpg

Archived