Teles: Please Learn Me

pbone

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i don't get the appeal of the '52 RI.

if you just get an american tele you get the better (imo) c-shaped neck and 6 saddle bridge. also you can put any pickups you'd like in it... unless the "vintage" fender single coils really sound that good?

i may be a little biased because i LOVE my tele... i plan on throwing in a pair of noiseless bill lawrence single coils and a 4 way switch soon to reallly open up it's versatility.

my stock american tele neck also makes for one of the best feeling guitars i've played... even a strat neck doesn't feel the same (different finish??) never mind say an SG, which feels crude in comparison.

• Members

I don't know, the '52 is definitely the sexiest IMO. (OMG ITS BACKWARDS)

tele52.jpgtele52a.jpg

tele52b.jpgtele52c.jpg

So the '52's tone and volume knob are one in the same? I think that's okay, I control my volume and tone through my compressor.

• Members
*jerks it*

What about the one with humbuckers? What's it called, how does it sound?

I got me one last Christmas, Tele Deluxe. Sounds more like an SG than a Telecaster to me. Amazing guitar, though... the necks on the RI models play like butter, perfect size.

TeleDeluxe.jpg

• Members

You have a few options here.

What are you looking for?

Modern vol/pot. or Blended. You need to realize that the 52 ri is a blended vol/tone. Its not your standard Volume / Tone setup.

Then you have your option of MIA Fender Tele.

And you said lefty.. Hmm.. Personally i played a 52 and absolutely {censored}ing loved the {censored} out of it. But i didn't want to pay 1250 for it.

Youre thinking of a nocaster. The 52 reissues have a master volume and tone but there is no setting for both pickups and no setting with the bridge and tone knob.

• Members

I've owned the 72 custom ri, the nashville, the 69 thinline ri and a custom shop nos 59 esquire...

The 52 was THE keeper.

My friend has the mim and the baja tele and they fail in comparison. The baja is cool, but is heavy.

Honestly, the 52, for me, is heaven, the neck takes a bit to get used to because of the finish, but its great.

You have to keep the brass saddles though, its a must.

• Members

I think fender fluctuates but this is what they have listed currently:

3-Position Blade:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit)

Position 3. Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)

• Members

I think fender fluctuates but this is what they have listed currently:

3-Position Blade:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit)

Position 3. Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)

So no humbucking in the 2 position?

Weird.

• Members

I would call it hum cancelling. Its definitely not a sound like a humbucker. But yeah the vintage tele doesn't do that sound. Those are simple mods though if you want the old look with modern tone.

I'd have to put a few miles on it to see what I liked and didn't like about it, but I'm fairly confident that it'll sound great. But nice to know that the 2 position equals hum canceling, I use the neck position almost exclusively.

Thanks for your help, man! Do you have a tele?

Archived