DOD switch repair - any options?

J.

• Members

Greetings everyone from the Bass Forum! I have a question about those older DOD stompboxes, the ones that inevitably stopped turning on and off reliably. Is there a cost effective way to fix these things? I remember reading a tutorial about a semi-effective ghetto modification that could be done to get more life out of the switch, but I can't seem to find it. My forum search skills are limited, I'm afraid.

My guitarist as an awful old DOD Thrash Master he refuses to part with. The thing is completely unreliable when it comes to switch on or off. Usually you have to tap it six or seven times to get the desired result. I suppose you could get a looper and temporarily bypass the thing, leaving the pedal itself always on, but I'm hoping for a simpler repair to the pedal itself. Any suggestions?

• Members

Thank you very much! I had absolutely no idea such a thing was available. My guitarist gets out of jail in three months, so hopefully I can surprise him with a repaired pedal!

• Members

Thank you very much! I had absolutely no idea such a thing was available. My guitarist gets out of jail in three months, so hopefully I can surprise him with a repaired pedal!

Sounds like a fun band. Can we know what he did?:poke:

• Members

He's a deadbeat. This was his 4th DUI. He seriously needs to be smacked upside the head before he kills someone with his negligence. To be fair, he was just at the legal limit (.08) and not drunk, at least not for an alcoholic like him, but a person with 3 DUIs already under his belt shouldn't be drinking at all anyway.

Heck, can't you lose your license for life in some European countries if you get caught driving drunk?

Maybe the alcohol has something to do with his affinity for old, crappy DOD stompboxes.

• Members

Thank you very much! I had absolutely no idea such a thing was available.
My guitarist gets out of jail in three months
, so hopefully I can surprise him with a repaired pedal!

I LOL'd at this statement. It was just so out of nowhere.

• Members

I wonder why they kept the design the same for so long. The switches inevitably wore out, and the plastic clip-on battery covers on the end of the pedal always went missing. It always puzzled me how they stayed a viable competitor when the BOSS pedal construction was sooooooo much better.

That said, I think DOD made/makes lots of great effects. It's just that the physical designs of the old pedals aren't that great.

• Members

Having heard and played through the Trash Master, I'd seriously suggest buying another dirt pedal with a small footprint (BYOC rat clone?) and rehousing it in the thrashmaster enclosure. Seriously one of my least favourite pedals!!!

Seriously though, good luck!

And tell your guitarist to go to AA :cop:

Steve

Archived